Westmeath V Wicklow

Started by Croí na hÉireann, June 11, 2009, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Three debutants for Westmeath

Keith Scally, Conor Lynam and Willie Murtagh will make their Leinster SFC debuts for Westmeath against Wicklow at O'Connor Park on Sunday.

By Randal Scally

Martin Flanagan and Fergal Wilson will also make their first appearances since last July's narrow All-Ireland qualifier defeat to Tyrone, while Donal O'Donoghue returns as well after missing most of the National League.

But Dessie Dolan and Michael Ennis aren't included in Tomas O Flatharta's starting XV after failing to recover im time from knee and Achilles tendon injuries.

Tyrrellspass clubman Scally and St. Loman's teenager Lynam will make their championship bows at right half forward and left corner forward respectively, while Ballynacargy's Murtagh - who saw action as a sub in last year's All-Ireland qualifiers - has been given the nod to start ahead of Damien Healy at left half back. Healy only recently returned from a stint abroad, and his lack of match practice means he has to be content with a place on the subs bench.

Martin Flanagan renews his midfield partnership with David Duffy after recovering from ankle surgery, while Fergal Wilson has also put his injuries problems behind him to line out alongside Denis Glennon and debutant Lynam in the full forward line. Lynam's inclusion comes as something as a surprise given that fellow under 21s Thomas McDaniel and John Connellan were believed to be ahead of him in the pecking order in the event of Dessie Dolan not been passed fit.

Garrycastle's Doran Harte has been selected at left half forward, but is expected to play as an extra defender just as he did against Dublin and Tyrone last year.

Westmeath (SF v Wicklow): G Connaughton; F Boyle, K Gavin, J Keane (captain); D O'Donoghue, D Heavin, W Murtagh; M Flanagan, D Duffy; K Scally, J Smyth, D Harte; F Wilson, D Glennon, C Lynam.

I wonder is that the team or is Tomás giving Dessie & Natchie every possible opportunity to prove their fitness? Light enough team & hopefully the lads on the bench will be fit enough to come on if needed. Donal O'D hasn't played in the half backs in years for us & Murtagh wasn't given much opportunity there is the league either. Harte hasn't played in the "forwards" since last year & Scally didn't exactly play every league game. I think this is a massive gamble by Tomás and maybe he's no choice here but it certainly evens the field & nullifies any percieved advantage we were supposed to have. The only thing we have left in our favour is that Micko hates the sight of the Maroon jersey, hopefully that is still intact Sunday evening. O'Connor Park has been decent to us recently too. There's a fine view from the new stand, hope they're ready with the season tickets, no word on the aul email yet...

Anyways I hope Heavin picks up Glynn & sticks to him all game. Much like Redmond Barry & Wexford, if u shut Glynn down you'll go a long way to helping your chances of winning. Full back line looks tight enough, can't give away frees inside the 45 as that's what killed the Slashers.

Will be travelling somewhere between hope & expectation.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AN other

Interesting selection...Murtagh never really impressed me in any of his league games but he must be doing something right. Scally has never impressed me. I would have thought that Connellan/McDaniel would have been in there ahead of Lynam, or even Kilcoyne, although I did see Connellan recently playing for Athlone and he wasn't overly impressive. Lynam was decent in the league.
I can't see Harte not playing in the half back line and O'Donoghue will probably be more around the middle than half back. Maybe with Flanagan pushing forward a little, will be interesting to see how long the legs last...Kind of expect to see Glennon and Lynam inside with Wilson coming out a little too. Or maybe Flanagan could be pushed into full forward with O'Donoghue slipping direct into midfield and Harte coming back. I'd like to see Flanagan in midfield though. Aside from the full back line, Heavin and Harte playing in defence somewhere and Duffy in midfield the rest is anybody's guess!
I hope Heavin is a little sharper than he was in the league at times. Duffy seems to have had a nice little run the last couple of months without injury so hopefully there's a big summer in him...
I hope we have enough to get over Wicklow. The likes of Murtagh, Scally and Lynam will be out to try and cement a place for when Dolan, Ennis and Healy come back.
There's a strong enough bench there with Healy, Ennis and Dolan all hopefully having a say if necessary.

Iarmhí Abú.

It's a strange enough team.  I would certainly have JC or McDaniel in before Lynam but Tomas obviously sees more than we do.  I'd say Healy just didn't get the start as he was away so long that he couldn't just walk back in.  I hope Dessie and Natchie are ready to come in I feel that things would certainly be bolstered with their arrival.  I think Kilcoyne may be a little disappointed too not to have gotten a look in.

The team that we are familiar with over the last few years has a fair few miles on the clock.  This could be the last year that many of them will be around.  Hopefully the wheels won't come off.  On the other hand if they rediscover the old solidity at the back then they could give us a bit of craic this year again.  Looking forward to the extra bit of adrenaline the first championship match always produces.

Croí na hÉireann

I'd have put Heals in the corner & brought Boyle out to half back. Whatever he lacks in fitness (and he's naturally fit anyway) would't have counted as much in there, plus he's back 2 months anyway. Remember the job he did on Pauraic Joyce down in Pearse Stadium??? Anyways he should get a good reaction if/when introduced...

Bit early to be thinking of retirements :D Flan & Heals only real dangers of that I'd think...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Iarmhí Abú.

Hope you're right Croi.  The recent ten year anniversary of the trip to Limerick for the U21 final made me realise that some of the lads have been around a while and can't go on forever.  It will be the end of an era when Healy eventually calls it a day.  Hopefully not for a while yet :)

thebandit

She'll be looking an oscar for that rendition of the anthem

orangeman

I don't like Joe Mc Quillan as a ref.

Penalties are hard to convert in GAA.

orangeman

Plenty of hard hitting in this contest - not much football - more like basketball.

SLIGONIAN

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Hoof Hearted

1-3 to 0-4 to Wicklow just scored a goal after mistake by Connaughton
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

orangeman

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 14, 2009, 02:33:45 PM
Score update please.

Wicklow just after scoring dodgy goal - w
Wicklow 1-3 Westmeath 0-4 almost half time

SLIGONIAN

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

orangeman

Can you beleive he blew for half time when Wicklow were just about to score ?.

INDIANA

absolute pants. Neither would beat Dublin's junior team. And considering how average we were last week that tells you how bad that 35mins was.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on June 14, 2009, 02:44:11 PM
absolute pants. Neither would beat Dublin's junior team. And considering how average we were last week that tells you how bad that 35mins was.

Spillane was very complimentary - sending the DVD to the Americans to use as punishment for ghe detainees in Guantanamo Bay !!!!!!!!   ;D ;D