American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Great games this weekend. A few random thoughts.

Green Bay v New York Giants. In the Frozen Tundra, (great to see the snow piling down like that. Old-school) I would expect Favre to pick the Giant's secondary apart. The Pack are young and psyched, and Favre is used to being knocked around, so even if Umenyura (sp?), Strahan and co get pressure/sacks/hits in on him, he won't implode like Romo did. Favre is an old-stlye, smack them in the mouth and then tap them on the arse type player. Also the experience of bouncing back from two nightmares in the opening two possesions will stand to Grant, who really looks like a galloping tailback. The Giant's secondary is banged up, and I couldn't believe that Witten and Owens didn't get more of the ball. Favre will make sure the likes of Driver and Jennings are given a chance to exploit matchups. Manning is playing good, safe, football. That's vital in the playoffs, but the likes of Bigby, Woodson, Harris and Pickett will be teeing up on the Giant's receivers all day. If the Giant's can run the ball through Jacobs and Bradshaw and can control the clock, keeping Favre cooling his jets on the sideline, then Favre might start taking risks out of impatience, but if the Packers defence can force Manning into throwing the ball, and can eliminate the 6 and 7 minute drives, even if they give up a few scores, I think the Pack are back.

Green Bay by 6

New England Patriots v San Diego Chargers

Great performance and victory by the Chargers on Sunday, but at what cost? It seems cruel that with Lorenzo Neal approaching fitness again, they may lose Philip Rivers and LeDanian Tomlinson. You can score on this Patriots' defence, as the Giants and Jaguars have shown, but it's a big ask to score enough to beat them in Foxboro without LT and the Mouth Rivers. Billy Volek was great in a bad situation on Sunday, but can anybody really see him leading a team to a playoff win in New England? Antonio Gates should be a bit fitter next weekend, and Chris Chambers and Jackson are a legitimate threat in the air. I just can't see them scoring enough. Big game for Junior Seau in fairness, playing against the team he's going to be representing in the Hall of Fame.

New England by 11

thejuice

Great weekend of games. Delighted for the Giants, though I worry for them next weekend. Manning is slowly coming into his own, well done to the Chargers showing they can get it done without Rivers(whats his problem) and LT. I think next week will be the end of the line for both of them. Didnt see the 2nd half of the pats-jags game, was drunk and tired. Like AZ said i reckon Farve wont craic under the pressure from Strahan and Umenyura. and playing in the snow will suit the packers though New YOrks not exactly sun baked either. The Giants have kept winning on the road and that alone is impressive. And winning against a strong offense like Dallas with back-up-back-up secondary.

I think this has been a great NFL season, by the way. lot of good games and no shortage of surprises. If Favre gets a Hollywood ending to his career it would be great. or even Strahan, who will probably call it a day after this season.

And what about the futures of Tony Dungy (likely retirment)? Payton Manning( i think his contract is up), Chad Johnson (who said he wants to be on a potential Superbowl team, envious of Moss and TO I'd say, though whether he takes a pay cut and joins a winning team or goes wherever the money is will tell you where his real priorities lie)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

I'm sure Manning will be designated a Franchise player. i can't see the Colts allowing him to leave.

magickingdom

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 14, 2008, 02:47:57 PM
Great games this weekend. A few random thoughts.

Green Bay v New York Giants. In the Frozen Tundra, (great to see the snow piling down like that. Old-school)

cant beat football in the snow az, theres some snow at the end of this clip of the pack/seattle game

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=TUPgtl737N0

Gabriel_Hurl

Early weather forecast for Green Bay at the weekend

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 12.

GalwayBayBoy

Carmen Stateside

Up his hole  :D :D
Him and his mate Clayton done some mouthing last week about the Giants! Wonder what they have to say today?
And now must go lift my money ;D

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on January 13, 2008, 03:59:46 PM
Have the Giants and the Chargers taken! Hoping for two tight matches. Impressed with Green Bay yesterday not so much with New England although it says alot about them that they can still win so easily.
Giants got to test TO s ankle early, Cowboys not the same without him!

J70

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 14, 2008, 06:54:05 PM

That's 12 Fahrenheit, I presume? ;D

J70

New York is hopping today over the Giants. Most of the area teams have been utter shite of late (the Knicks are losing 3/4 of their games; the Mets imploded in the last two weeks of the season; the Yankees can't make any headway in the playoffs; the less said about the Jets, the better!), so this result was a big deal in the city. Should be good craic next weekend.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: J70 on January 14, 2008, 09:52:13 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 14, 2008, 06:54:05 PM

That's 12 Fahrenheit, I presume? ;D

correct

lfdown2

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: thejuice on January 14, 2008, 04:18:17 PM

And what about the futures of Tony Dungy (likely retirment)? Payton Manning( i think his contract is up), Chad Johnson (who said he wants to be on a potential Superbowl team, envious of Moss and TO I'd say, though whether he takes a pay cut and joins a winning team or goes wherever the money is will tell you where his real priorities lie)

The Bengals can't afford to let Johnson go because they would take a big hit on the salary cap. I think Johnson is also pissed off the Bengals are drawing up a big contract for Houshmandzadeh and his nose seems to be put out of joint that he isn't getting enough love from the Bengals staff and the fans. As a Bengals fan I hope he stays but if he is traded some team is going to have to give up plenty for him.

AZOffaly

The Colts would be a good fit for #85. He wants to play on a championship calibre team, and the Colts are thin enough at Wide Receiver, especially if Harrison is starting to break down.

Rossie11

The saints badly need 1 as well.