GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clinker

12:29 The European Parliament's headquarters in Strasbourg, France will be turned into a coronavirus testing center.

The parliament will hold only extremely limited sessions, in Brussels and online, until September.

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-latest-us-death-toll-passes-10000/a-53043555

armaghniac

Quote from: Clinker on April 07, 2020, 03:47:10 PM
12:29 The European Parliament's headquarters in Strasbourg, France will be turned into a coronavirus testing center.

The parliament will hold only extremely limited sessions, in Brussels and online, until September.

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-latest-us-death-toll-passes-10000/a-53043555

All in all, it is a very dramatic way of stopping Dublin win 6 in a row.

The European parliament should forget to go back to Strasbourg.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eire90

so it looks like to me they want the same format as as last season but with knockout  quarter finals instead of super 8

Eire90

Would anyone be interested in the radical idea of  having a festival tournament type thing and having a tournament played over a month like the world cup have all matches played at croke park or something have two matches a day throw ins at maybe 5pm and 8pm

imtommygunn

My da always talked about festivals in the 50s and 60s and how great they were. Those kind of things may work out this year and be much more competitive.

Eire90

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Eire90 on April 11, 2020, 04:26:55 AM
so it looks like to me they want the same format as as last season but with knockout  quarter finals instead of super 8

Basically what we had 2001 to 2017. Would be grand if the championship commence in June but that's unlikely to happen.

ardtole

I'd love 32 teams, open draw, straight knock out. Wrap it up in 5 or 6 weeks. Dont think it will happen, in case it's a resounding success and there are calls for it to happen the following year too.

I'm fed up with the back door and the super 8s.

BennyCake

Quote from: Eire90 on April 11, 2020, 04:26:55 AM

This is no year for pissing about with the back door.

If indeed the championship can be played, it has to be an open draw straight knockout.

RedHand88

Quote from: Eire90 on April 11, 2020, 04:38:13 AM
Would anyone be interested in the radical idea of  having a festival tournament type thing and having a tournament played over a month like the world cup have all matches played at croke park or something have two matches a day throw ins at maybe 5pm and 8pm

No way the GAA will put matches in croke park at 5pm on a tuesday. Cant get a crowd most Sundays!

Rossfan

Quote from: ardtole on April 11, 2020, 02:48:59 PM
I'd love 32 teams, open draw, straight knock out. Wrap it up in 5 or 6 weeks. Dont think it will happen, in case it's a resounding success and there are calls for it to happen the following year too.

What world your "resounding success" be?

ardtole

Quote from: Rossfan on April 11, 2020, 04:44:47 PM
Quote from: ardtole on April 11, 2020, 02:48:59 PM

What world your "resounding success" be?

Good question. Lol. I would hope there would be more off a buzz at the games, going to the games. The do or die scenario might lead to more excitement.

The provincial competitions have run out of steam, the back door hasn't caught the imagination of the public, even some players dont hang around for it.

I had hoped the super 8s would have livened the competition up a bit  but bar a few games it has been a let down.

Obviously Dublins recent dominance has been a big factor, but there just isn't the buzz about games this last 5 years. I just think if there was an open draw every team would be 2 games away from a q/f, with a favourable draw. At least there would be a bit of optimism to start with even if it was short lived.

Rossfan

The Qualifiers are do or die and as you say they haven't caught the imagination of the public.

trileacman

Quote from: Rossfan on April 11, 2020, 05:51:52 PM
The Qualifiers are do or die and as you say they haven't caught the imagination of the public.

Do or die for 2 teams that've already died once.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014