WhatsApp Groups And GDPR

Started by Last Caress, January 29, 2020, 06:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 07, 2020, 12:44:27 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 06, 2020, 12:19:43 PM
True, I think it was a nursery group.  What is the value of doing this on-line anyway.  Never mind the GAA's complete shutdown directive, just let the kids play outside in the garden etc. by themselves.

Free play - they'll learn more through that than a 'training session' on-line.  Get a parent to kick a ball with them, play tag and hide- and-seek etc.

Let kids be kids.

100%

If I see one more coach trying to remain relevant with some ridiculous drill i will have a "Falling Down' moment.

Just play and stop coaching. Sucking the fun out underage sport for years, no wonder 13 year olds can't wait to drop out.

I'm our minor coach this year and it's tough to be fair but I think people have to be realistic we are living in an unprecedented time and you are just going to have to cede control for a while and realise some things are bigger than your club's nursery or your U14 championship!

For our lads we have a few home S&C workouts and a Strava group for a bit of running alongside putting up the odd skill to practice from Twitter but we can't control them all the time and the only thing you can try to do is get them to keep their fitness up for when/if they come back but even still they will not be anywhere near match fitness when they come back.

No point getting stressed about it. The upside is every team will be in the same boat and there will just be so many games that it should help bring a bit of enjoyment back that's been lost I feel.

BenDover

If it comes back this year, there'll be loads of games and players mad keen to play. How do you guarantee everyone plays? It'd be a good time to trial rolling subs.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: screenexile on April 07, 2020, 01:56:16 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 07, 2020, 12:44:27 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 06, 2020, 12:19:43 PM
True, I think it was a nursery group.  What is the value of doing this on-line anyway.  Never mind the GAA's complete shutdown directive, just let the kids play outside in the garden etc. by themselves.

Free play - they'll learn more through that than a 'training session' on-line.  Get a parent to kick a ball with them, play tag and hide- and-seek etc.

Let kids be kids.

100%

If I see one more coach trying to remain relevant with some ridiculous drill i will have a "Falling Down' moment.

Just play and stop coaching. Sucking the fun out underage sport for years, no wonder 13 year olds can't wait to drop out.

I'm our minor coach this year and it's tough to be fair but I think people have to be realistic we are living in an unprecedented time and you are just going to have to cede control for a while and realise some things are bigger than your club's nursery or your U14 championship!

For our lads we have a few home S&C workouts and a Strava group for a bit of running alongside putting up the odd skill to practice from Twitter but we can't control them all the time and the only thing you can try to do is get them to keep their fitness up for when/if they come back but even still they will not be anywhere near match fitness when they come back.

No point getting stressed about it. The upside is every team will be in the same boat and there will just be so many games that it should help bring a bit of enjoyment back that's been lost I feel.

Ah no if fairness minor is a different challenge altogether, this is next biggest age for drop outs after 12 year olds. Enjoyment comes from playing - rotate heavily and be prepared to lose - your squad will be a in a good place for championship and the lads will know they all got a shot...
#newbridgeornowhere

Truth hurts

Are clubs still using whatsapp for communication. Are there any othersafe app you can use for interaction

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 07, 2022, 12:04:59 PM
Are clubs still using whatsapp for communication. Are there any othersafe app you can use for interaction

We use the app Heja for sending out training and matches. It's pretty decent

Armagh18

Whats wrong with whatsapp?

charlieTully

My sons rugby team use spond app.

Itchy

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 07, 2022, 12:30:16 PM
Whats wrong with whatsapp?

Under EU Rules you cannot allow people access to other peoples contact details without permission. So if you set up a whatsapp group you can see everyone elses contact - thats one issue. You can us Whatsapp in broadcast mode though which i believe is gdpr compliant.

SPOND is one i have seen used and seems pretty good

StephenC

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 07, 2022, 12:10:22 PM

Yeah, I started using Heja this year. Worked pretty well.

SCFC

Consent is the key word. If someone consents to be part of a WhatsApp group, there's no issue at all using it.

BenDover

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 07, 2022, 12:10:22 PM

Same as us, great app. The tricky bit is managing when kids have to switch teams.