'Belfast eye' / Ferris wheel then

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, October 23, 2007, 01:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Well, have any of yous seen the Belfast Eye that's just been erected in the grounds of the City Hall?

Very impressive when you first see it, though it'll probably be £30 to get on it just to see the lough and the black mountain.

I know there was a version of it in the 70s on the top of Unity Flats....
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

stpauls

i was in the city centre on saturday when thay had just put up the legs to it, and i must say it did look impressive!!
i will have to see what price they are going to charge before deciding whether to take a spin on it or not!!

Square Ball

Yip

seen it yesterday, mind you was standing nearly underneath it for 10 minutes before i noticed it, Monday mornings!!!
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Is it actually totally erected now?
Anyone have any idea when it opens and how much it will cost??

Tbc....

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

It's up and all - people hanging around the square taking photos of it. I'll show ye mine next time I see ye, GDA.

ziggysego

Why can't they do something original for once?
Testing Accessibility

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

FAM thought you were in meetings all day?
Tbc....

Balboa

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on October 23, 2007, 01:31:54 PM
Is it actually totally erected now?
Anyone have any idea when it opens and how much it will cost??

Not yet, i usually have to wait to the weekend when the missus is p*ssed......

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I am - away to it now again. Even I have to have lunch!

Maguire01

It's opening in November some time. Is only due to stay until March, although this may change.

Quote from: ziggysego on October 23, 2007, 01:38:17 PM

It's not unique to London though - loads of cities have had one. Manchester had one relatively recently. The wheels are not permanent and are moved around the place. It's a Dutch company installing this one.

Personally i'd like to see it as a permanent fixture, somewhere else in the city if not beside City Hall.

Maguire01

QuoteBelfast eye to open for Christmas 

Work has begun on the construction of a "Belfast Eye" in the grounds of the City Hall.
A 60m wheel is scheduled to open on 25 October, giving passengers panoramic views 200ft above the city.

The 365 tonne structure has 42 fully enclosed capsules, each of which can carry six adults and two children for each 15 minute trip.

The council and Department of Social Development said the £3.5m project would be self-financing.

World Tourist Attractions, which will run the attraction, has already built big wheels in Manchester and Seville.

John Lowry, from the company, said it was delighted that the construction of the wheel was finally under way.

"We are due to stay until March, but we would like to stay longer," he told the Belfast Telegraph.

"We've got engineers from Holland and technicians from England putting the wheel together.

"It took a long time, but it is great to finally be over and to bring the wheel to Belfast.

He added: "I understand that there will be an official ceremony held around November 19."

The firm said that it would be operating the attraction in the city centre for the next five months.

(artists impression)

Orior

Quote from: ziggysego on October 23, 2007, 01:38:17 PM

Yes indeed. For years the unionist controlled council took nationists for a ride, and now they have to pay for the same privilege.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

full back

Its a pity the artists impression wasnt on the correct side! It is on the side the is facing
They have a few of the pods connected to it now - nice enough idea, but whay set it slap bang in the middle of the city?

Rois

My problem with it is that for about a third of the rotation you'll either be looking at the Ulster Bank, the Bank of Ireland or in the side door of Marks and Spencer.  Unlike London, when you're down at the bottom of the wheel and you can look over to Westminster etc.

But they seem to be putting on a pod every couple of hours.  I can see it from my desk and they've put five on since about 9am.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Rois your boss is just off the phone, he says stop looking out the window and do some work!!  ;)
Tbc....