GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: J70 on October 13, 2020, 03:00:38 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 13, 2020, 02:07:50 PM
Quote from: LCohen on October 13, 2020, 01:50:32 PM
Angelo that doesn't answer the question. You are behaving like a spoiled child. Science doesn't offer a guaranteed positive outcomes or to get their quickly. But it tries. More power to the body scientific in that pursuit. You seem to be advocating not trying. You are free to pay that nonsense but it is extremely important that anybody reading it recognises it for the horse shit that it is.

I think you are probably wrong in where you think Spanish flu cane from and where it went. We can both agree that Spanish flu is not a pattern anybody wants to repeat.

This burning or fizzling out maybe isn't the thing you want it to be

I think I'm just being realistic about the matter, we can't stay hiding under the bed for the rest of our lives about something science is showing that it is struggling to solve.

I think we need to learn to live with the virus as I don't have faith in science to fix the problem in the short to medium term.

We will find some answers out ourselves from the data in the next 2/3 months. The second wave is surging across Europe, we will find out to what impact and I think that will dictate how we approach matters going forward.

For all the ridicule the Swedes got - maybe they actually had the right approach?

What does living with the virus mean?

We're living with it in NYC by wearing masks, social distancing, online school, doing without the cinema and sports events and Broadway shows and limiting occupancy in restaurants and pubs. With the exception of certain groups who are openly flouting the restrictions and, as a result, suffering surging rates of infection, its working to keep infection rates down in most of the city.

You're onto something there J70. We can't just get on with things as normal. We have to pick and choose what we can and cannot do until this thing goes away. If we absolutely have to have schools open then we can't have pubs, restaurants etc. what we did here was the worst of all worlds. Reacted too late - no option but a stiff lockdown - accelerated exit from lockdown to almost exactly where we were in early March in terms of restrictions - surge in virus again to probably worse levels than ever......What do we do now? I don't think it's realistic to bounce from "normal" to lockdown in cycles. Let this be the last time we make that terrible mistake.

Angelo

Quote from: LCohen on October 13, 2020, 03:10:33 PM
Angelo that doesn't answer the question. You are behaving like a spoiled child. Science doesn't offer a guaranteed positive outcomes or to get their quickly. But it tries. More power to the body scientific in that pursuit. You seem to be advocating not trying. You are free to pay that nonsense but it is extremely important that anybody reading it recognises it for the horse shit that it is.

I think you are probably wrong in where you think Spanish flu cane from and where it went. We can both agree that Spanish flu is not a pattern anybody wants to repeat.

I think I'm just being realistic about the matter, we can't stay hiding under the bed for the rest of our lives about something science is showing that it is struggling to solve.

I think we need to learn to live with the virus as I don't have faith in science to fix the problem in the short to medium term.

We will find some answers out ourselves from the data in the next 2/3 months. The second wave is surging across Europe, we will find out to what impact and I think that will dictate how we approach matters going forward.

For all the ridicule the Swedes got - maybe they actually had the right approach?

Sweden had significant reduction in social activity. The difference being they were asked to do it rather than being told. Did enough do what they were asked? Who knows but the current Swedish data is frightening. I heard on the radio that their per capita death rates were now 1000% that of Norway. Haven't checked that out yet.

Nobody is saying hide forever. They are not setting some arbitrary timeline on how long science has to come up with something

I think you fail the grasp the urgency this needs to be dealt with. How is the current Swedish data frightening?

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

LCohen

Quote from: Angelo on October 13, 2020, 03:15:30 PM

Sweden had significant reduction in social activity. The difference being they were asked to do it rather than being told. Did enough do what they were asked? Who knows but the current Swedish data is frightening. I heard on the radio that their per capita death rates were now 1000% that of Norway. Haven't checked that out yet.

Nobody is saying hide forever. They are not setting some arbitrary timeline on how long science has to come up with something

I think you fail the grasp the urgency this needs to be dealt with. How is the current Swedish data frightening?

The 1000% would be worrying if true. I haven't checked it out. If it's wrong I'm happy to withdraw that bit.

But the big issue is that Sweden did not have a free for all.

Covid 19 needs dealt with as soon as possible. You have some weird timescale thing going on where if it's not sorted within an arbitrary timeframe we all give in. You have offered nothing, absolutely nothing to back that.

You also don't seem to address the contention that tackling Covid is a prerequisite to returning economic activity to pre pandemic levels.

Angelo

Quote from: LCohen on October 13, 2020, 03:25:17 PM

The 1000% would be worrying if true. I haven't checked it out. If it's wrong I'm happy to withdraw that bit.

But the big issue is that Sweden did not have a free for all.

Covid 19 needs dealt with as soon as possible. You have some weird timescale thing going on where if it's not sorted within an arbitrary timeframe we all give in. You have offered nothing, absolutely nothing to back that.

You also don't seem to address the contention that tackling Covid is a prerequisite to returning economic activity to pre pandemic levels.

Science is charged with tackling Covid but it's not doing it.

It will have to run its course, Europe is currently undergoing a big second surge now but the data seems encouraging. I pointed to Spain elsewhere earlier, a 181% increase in cases in the second wave but only a 16% increase in deaths. The mortality rate has dropped for 9% to 0.8% and it should be noted that these mortality rates are much likely inflated by positive cases that never enter trough the testing system.

Trends like that say that the virus and the risk of it become more acceptable and something we have to learn to live with. What's happened in the north recently is going to give us a lot of answers. We have seen a 223% rise in cases in around 2 months, what happens in the next 5/6 weeks is going to be telling. Science don't seem to be making any progress so we've got to ask ourselves what is the acceptable risk? Do we go into lockdown when the seasonal flu comes along and puts people in hospital and takes lives?

APM

Just looked at the WHO stats on deaths and it looks to be more like 10 times the deaths per capita in Norway.
https://covid19.who.int/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg5e_puGx7AIVh7HtCh0vNQgOEAAYASAAEgKpOvD_BwE

Still a big difference compared to other Scandanavian countries, but lower than UK per capita. Higher than Ireland.

The question about living with it is an important one.  News about a patient catching it twice in quick succession in the USA, with the second case being more serious, are really worrying.  Whether I'm 20 or 60 years old, in good health or bad, I don't want this disease.  The health impacts of large numbers of people catching it and develop long term symptoms are serious not just for individual health but for long term public health and services, never mind dealing with the short-term intensive care cases.   

Taylor

I cannot see games going ahead this weekend, if there are Northern teams involved, given the way NI numbers are.

Angelo

Quote from: APM on October 13, 2020, 03:45:56 PM

Just looked at the WHO stats on deaths and it looks to be more like 10 times the deaths per capita in Norway.
https://covid19.who.int/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg5e_puGx7AIVh7HtCh0vNQgOEAAYASAAEgKpOvD_BwE

Still a big difference compared to other Scandanavian countries, but lower than UK per capita. Higher than Ireland.

The question about living with it is an important one.  News about a patient catching it twice in quick succession in the USA, with the second case being more serious, are really worrying.  Whether I'm 20 or 60 years old, in good health or bad, I don't want this disease.  The health impacts of large numbers of people catching it and develop long term symptoms are serious not just for individual health but for long term public health and services, never mind dealing with the short-term intensive care cases.   

How can we quantify long term symptoms? It's only been around 10 months or so.

Has anyone here ever had a flu? Has it ever floored you? Has it ever been months before you weren't right again? I can tell you when you've had a flu you know about it and it can take a long time to recover from it.

It can also hospitalise fit and healthy people and in some cases kill them. But it's something we live with.

About the patient catching it twice? There's 8-9m confirmed cases in the US of Covid, this individual is the first to catch it twice there. Is it an anomaly? Who knows, I know science doesn't and are we meant to sit on our hands waiting for science. I'm not encouraged by their efforts so far.

It will come down to what is an acceptable risk. The data (in Europe) at present says that cases are going up rapidly and deaths are remaining relatively stable - if that rings true over the next few months - is it then something we learn to live with?

The pictures of Lombardy and Madrid would all have scared us at the beginning but was that just not being prepared for it? Maybe it was much more widespread in those regions.

Angelo

Quote from: J70 on October 13, 2020, 03:00:38 PM

What does living with the virus mean?

We're living with it in NYC by wearing masks, social distancing, online school, doing without the cinema and sports events and Broadway shows and limiting occupancy in restaurants and pubs. With the exception of certain groups who are openly flouting the restrictions and, as a result, suffering surging rates of infection, its working to keep infection rates down in most of the city.

I would say at the minute, we are living with the virus up north but that's only due to a lack of funding from Westminister.

I'd say down south they are not living with the virus, they are effectively back to lockdown despite their incident rate being much lower.

It's got to be about protecting the elderly, vulnerable and those with underlying conditions.

53 care homes having outbreaks is a huge worry now.

Itchy

Quote from: Taylor on October 13, 2020, 04:04:56 PM
I cannot see games going ahead this weekend, if there are Northern teams involved, given the way NI numbers are.

Cavan have a cunning plan, we are going to drive to Kildare via Monaghan and infect as many as possible by having elite team dinners in every village. We will do Meath on the way back.

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on October 13, 2020, 04:54:27 PM
Quote from: Taylor on October 13, 2020, 04:04:56 PM

Cavan have a cunning plan, we are going to drive to Kildare via Monaghan and infect as many as possible by having elite team dinners in every village. We will do Meath on the way back.

I cannot believe that Cavan Co Board will be paying for those dinners

Rossfan

The mane hoors will probably snake off without payin'.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublin7

Speaking to relatives in Wexford and cases have shot up in the last week so. Significant no of cases in the parishes that played in the finals 9/10 days ago

Farrandeelin

Any white smoke from the Fermanagh appeal?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

imtommygunn

I see Moycullen have pulled players out of the Galway panel too.