China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 11, 2020, 09:54:40 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 11, 2020, 09:42:21 PM
All going well i will be out of isolation on Thursday. At that stage my child will not have been out the door in 2 weeks. If the schools are closed how does my wife get back into working at the hospital and me to work( who have stopped their working from home policy an don't pay sick) whilst still trying to protect granny and granda

Any answers Stormont?

Easy answer is companies should be mandated to support working from home unless impossible.

If you work in an office, its possible to work from home. No ifs, no buts. It may be awkward and dinosaurs will have to learn new tricks, but is quite feasible. They just need to sort their IT infrastructure.

If companies refuse to act - direct powerNI to cut the office electric.

Doesnt work in healthcare or manufacturing. As you said earlier. Bullshit

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on October 11, 2020, 10:28:47 PM
Here's the thing, Fear. That logistical conundrum is facing parents even with schools open. If we continue without social distancing in schools, your lad could be in and out like Lanigan's Ball anyway and we continue to have no handle on the spread of Covid.

It's Catch-22.

For me, what we are currently doing is failing and it will always fail. We need to think again.

But schools aren't the problem....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Here's the thing, Fear. That logistical conundrum is facing parents even with schools open. If we continue without social distancing in schools, your lad could be in and out like Lanigan's Ball anyway and we continue to have no handle on the spread of Covid.

It's Catch-22.

For me, what we are currently doing is failing and it will always fail. We need to think again.

Yes we need a new plan, I agree with pretty much all of that. The powers that be should be more informed this time around

GetOverTheBar

You lads are quick to throw the authorities under the bus here for pretty much everything. I don't really see any country thriving right now, bar New Zealand which had about 34,000 people in a stadium just the other morning. It does have the benefit of having 2000km odd distance between it and it's nearest and dearest mind you.

Governments have to be very careful to keep the people on side - What I read on this board about Covid and what I hear in the real world are very different views. The Government(s) have made mistakes, but this isn't something that they had ever planned - Boris Johnson was elected to get Brexit done, that was his only M.O coming to power. Him, his backers and his team have landed themselves into an absolute shitshow and they have no idea how to handle it. Them and most other Governments seem to be adopting a buy time....lets see if someone else can crack it policy. I said before it's hardly Boris Johnson fault about 7 or 8 UK PM's continually undercutted funding for the NHS.

You are throwing out mad ideas that simply aren't doable. Cutting off electric to offices that don't have people work from home? Jesus lads....You need to be very careful here, people want to go to work. I've worked (in an office) the whole way through this, I've seen what 6-8 months at home have done to some people. It wasn't positive.

Lockdowns and the likes that seem to be called for on this board, I've yet to meet a person off this board that wants that. Therein lies the problem.

mackers

The notion of closing schools doesn't sit well with me either. The education and mental well being of our children should not be under-estimated.  Covid isn't the only show in town.  Children have had to come out of school and self isolate in my daughters' school also but it is a relatively small percentage.  The kids that have the disease caught it outside of the school environment and thankfully any of their contacts that have self-isolated have not shown any symptoms, had a positive test or spread it to relatives.  Is it really fair to close schools because of this?
Schools aren't there just to mind the kids to allow us all to go back to work.  They provide a vital service in their own right obviously.
The difference in my children is marked since they went back to school.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

seafoid

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 11, 2020, 10:41:39 PM

It's Catch-22.

Yes we need a new plan, I agree with pretty much all of that. The powers that be should be more informed this time around
The only viable plan is total lockdown, full compensation for hospitality etc who have to shut down, WFH for office wallas and wait for the vaccine.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GetOverTheBar

sid waddell

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 12, 2020, 09:54:06 AM

Lockdowns and the likes that seem to be called for on this board, I've yet to meet a person off this board that wants that. Therein lies the problem.
Nobody wants lockdowns, but it seems to me that most people accept they may be periodically necessary

sid waddell

Itchy

Quote from: hardstation on October 12, 2020, 10:37:45 AM
Quote from: mackers on October 12, 2020, 10:22:06 AM
The notion of closing schools doesn't sit well with me either. The education and mental well being of our children should not be under-estimated.  Covid isn't the only show in town.  Children have had to come out of school and self isolate in my daughters' school also but it is a relatively small percentage.  The kids that have the disease caught it outside of the school environment and thankfully any of their contacts that have self-isolated have not shown any symptoms, had a positive test or spread it to relatives.  Is it really fair to close schools because of this?
Schools aren't there just to mind the kids to allow us all to go back to work.  They provide a vital service in their own right obviously.
We don't need to fully close the schools to at least try and get a bit of control on Covid. The lack of social distancing in schools is working against them. We need to look at that.

Time for me to have a rant at schools (and teachers). So basically, when COVID started I came to work and I had an absolute shit load of problems. People out, machines that required people to be sitting side by side, access and exit to and from work with 100's of people coming in together. The canteen was not usable. Every single facet of normal life had to change. You know what, we had to get into gear fast and get solutions to each and every one of these issues working with all our employees who were the best source of ideas. Since March as a result in a factory of more  than 1000 people we have had 5 positive cases, none of which originated at work.

What did schools do when they were shut? Sweet f**k all judging by my locality. Did many teachers come in and help to work on solutions?  Maybe some, but the majority sat at home waiting for someone else to do it for them. Then they threaten strike, the only sector that I know of that used a pandemic to try and manipulate their conditions (and please, don't tell me these teachers unions are interested in pupil safety).

So a couple of things that could have been done.

-Perspex U Shape shields dividing pupils at their desks (no masks required unless moving)
-Use Skype, Teams or other app in the class room - kids on phone/tablets/laptops
- Staggered start time could be considered
- All usual sanitising installed
- Temperature monitoring off  the buses at the gates

Now before anyone jumps down my throat I am fully sure some schools with good management have done some of these things, and I know these things are not easy to do (they weren't easy in my place of work). But you have choices, roll up your sleeves and get to it or sit on the outside moaning about everything. Stop threatening strike at a time when society needs everyone to pull together. Teachers had 3 months off during the summer, fully paid, how many came in and helped in their schools? Of course there is no risk to their pay and job so some would not bother. Where was the leadership in the teacher unions on this?

Schools need to stay open, for the good of kids and the wider economy. I am convinced it can be done in a relatively safe way having lived through a very similar experience at work myself.

restorepride

Quote from: Itchy on October 12, 2020, 11:30:06 AM
We don't need to fully close the schools to at least try and get a bit of control on Covid. The lack of social distancing in schools is working against them. We need to look at that.

Time for me to have a rant at schools (and teachers). So basically, when COVID started I came to work and I had an absolute shit load of problems. People out, machines that required people to be sitting side by side, access and exit to and from work with 100's of people coming in together. The canteen was not usable. Every single facet of normal life had to change. You know what, we had to get into gear fast and get solutions to each and every one of these issues working with all our employees who were the best source of ideas. Since March as a result in a factory of more  than 1000 people we have had 5 positive cases, none of which originated at work.

What did schools do when they were shut? Sweet f**k all judging by my locality. Did many teachers come in and help to work on solutions?  Maybe some, but the majority sat at home waiting for someone else to do it for them. Then they threaten strike, the only sector that I know of that used a pandemic to try and manipulate their conditions (and please, don't tell me these teachers unions are interested in pupil safety).

-Perspex U Shape shields dividing pupils at their desks (no masks required unless moving)
-Use Skype, Teams or other app in the class room - kids on phone/tablets/laptops

Now before anyone jumps down my throat I am fully sure some schools with good management have done some of these things, and I know these things are not easy to do (they weren't easy in my place of work). But you have choices, roll up your sleeves and get to it or sit on the outside moaning about everything. Stop threatening strike at a time when society needs everyone to pull together. Teachers had 3 months off during the summer, fully paid, how many came in and helped in their schools? Of course there is no risk to their pay and job so some would not bother. Where was the leadership in the teacher unions on this?

Schools need to stay open, for the good of kids and the wider economy. I am convinced it can be done in a relatively safe way having lived through a very similar experience at work myself.
Major error not becoming a teacher!

Itchy

Quote from: restorepride on October 12, 2020, 11:41:46 AM

I make medical devices for people who have very serious medical issues, I am quite happy and proud of being able to do something for those people. When we work to find solutions to COVID concerns those people are in our thoughts. If we just stopped making product it would be a serious problem for them.

restorepride

Quote from: Itchy on October 12, 2020, 11:44:36 AM

I make medical devices for people who have very serious medical issues, I am quite happy and proud of being able to do something for those people. When we work to find solutions to COVID concerns those people are in our thoughts. If we just stopped making product it would be a serious problem for them.
When teachers and students start to become very ill or worse, your rant may come under more scrutiny!  All work deserves to be done in as safe an environment as possible - technology developed and learnt in record time by teachers has created a very safe environment for teaching and learning since March and in the event of any future temporary school closures.  Schools and teachers can be proud of that.  Not ideal but parents and society want safe learning.  Anyhow, you clearly do very important work for society so well done for keeping things going.

Itchy

Quote from: restorepride on October 12, 2020, 12:03:25 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 12, 2020, 11:44:36 AM

When teachers and students start to become very ill or worse, your rant may come under more scrutiny!  All work deserves to be done in as safe an environment as possible - technology developed and learnt in record time by teachers has created a very safe environment for teaching and learning since March and in the event of any future temporary school closures.  Schools and teachers can be proud of that.  Not ideal but parents and society want safe learning.  Anyhow, you clearly do very important work for society so well done for keeping things going.

By some teachers. Some did absolutely nothing and you know that. Further, those that did absolutely nothing have no fear of ever having to answer for that either. I commend those teachers that see their job as more than a 9-4 clock in/clock out and rather see it as the important vocation type job it is.

Oh and people will get sick, at work, at home and everywhere. There is no "safe" approach that eliminates risk, we can only do as good as we can do.