Rossies v Tyrone Hyde Park 13th July 5pm.

Started by giveballaghback, July 06, 2019, 11:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: sligoman2 on July 12, 2019, 01:18:35 PM

When a team is averaging 14 or 15 men behind the ball it's crazy for anyone not to label them as defensive.

I don't know how, this side of metaphysics, a team can score 23 points or more and 'average 14 or 15 men behind the ball'. Looked at Dublin or Donegal lately, or is this just a blinkered buy-in to the critical hype?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

weareros

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 12, 2019, 01:52:25 PM

When a team is averaging 14 or 15 men behind the ball it's crazy for anyone not to label them as defensive.

I don't know how, this side of metaphysics, a team can score 23 points or more and 'average 14 or 15 men behind the ball'. Looked at Dublin or Donegal lately, or is this just a blinkered buy-in to the critical hype?

Speaking of metaphysics and to invoke the great Tyrone man in your picture, as I said before playing against Tyrone's defensive system, particularly when a forward carries the ball into contact is akin to De Selby's theory of reality as "a succession of static experiences each infinitely brief". Well that's how it was for Ros last year anyway. Hopefully we have learned.

Fear ón Srath Bán

We shall deploy the necessary, as the strategists should see fit, to thwart and frustrate the Rossie advances, to be sure :)

giveballaghback

Quote from: weareros on July 12, 2019, 02:01:08 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 12, 2019, 01:52:25 PM

Do ya think there might be a game of football in the middle of all that stuf :o

Speaking of metaphysics and to invoke the great Tyrone man in your picture, as I said before playing against Tyrone's defensive system, particularly when a forward carries the ball into contact is akin to De Selby's theory of reality as "a succession of static experiences each infinitely brief". Well that's how it was for Ros last year anyway. Hopefully we have learned.

Jayop

Quote from: greatpoint on July 12, 2019, 12:53:45 PM
Quote from: westbound on July 12, 2019, 12:05:36 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 12, 2019, 10:05:39 AM
Quote from: westbound on July 12, 2019, 09:26:17 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 12, 2019, 09:16:12 AM
Quote from: sligoman2 on July 11, 2019, 11:22:04 PM
I can't wait to watch this one.  15 Tyrone players back defending, riveting stuff.

This Tyrone team is statistically the highest scoring team in the history of the Championship. Anyone who thinks they are a defensive team doesn't know if it's pumped or stuffed.

What does the stat mean?
Have you evidence to back it up?

Look at the stats for the highest points scored by a team in a championship season. Look where Tyrone 2017 and Tyrone 2018 are.

So are you saying that Tyrone in 2017 or 2018 have scored more than any team in any year?

Can you provide a link to the stats because I have better things to be doing. But if you are  making such a claim you must have the evidence?

I had a look at 2017 and Dublin's total scored and scoring average are both much higher than Tyrone's. In 2018 Tyrone played two games more than anyone else but their scoring average was still far below Dublin's.

It might be the highest number of points scored without winning anything? I know they're the first team to have lost three times in the Championship.

I had all this worked out before. In 2017 Mayo broke the all time scoring record in a championship season. In 2018 Tyrone beat that record by a few points, but unfortunately Dublin also beat it that year, so as it stands Dublin have the highest scoring season of all time in 2018, Tyrone are second in 2018 and Mayo are in third in 2017.

Jayop

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 12, 2019, 12:10:22 AM
Jayop. i think Sean Cavanagh done alot more for Tyrone; than your slabbering on here about Tyrone past year or so.!!

Of course he has. He's a county legend and all round a legend of the game nationwide.

Does that mean he should be above criticism when he says something completely brainless like he did in his article this week on two subjects?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 12, 2019, 02:58:07 PM
Do ya think there might be a game of football in the middle of all that stuf :o

For your sake, you might be praying for that, sure! ;)

Main Street

Quote from: Jayop on July 12, 2019, 03:34:55 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 12, 2019, 12:10:22 AM
Jayop. i think Sean Cavanagh done alot more for Tyrone; than your slabbering on here about Tyrone past year or so.!!

Of course he has. He's a county legend and all round a legend of the game nationwide.

Does that mean he should be above criticism when he says something completely brainless like he did in his article this week on two subjects?
Big Sean? he's prone to the odd acute outbreak of paranoia, that's nothing too serious in the context of a Tyronie, almost normal.

Jayop

westbound

Quote from: Jayop on July 12, 2019, 03:33:21 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on July 12, 2019, 12:53:45 PM
Quote from: westbound on July 12, 2019, 12:05:36 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 12, 2019, 10:05:39 AM
Quote from: westbound on July 12, 2019, 09:26:17 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 12, 2019, 09:16:12 AM
Quote from: sligoman2 on July 11, 2019, 11:22:04 PM
I can't wait to watch this one.  15 Tyrone players back defending, riveting stuff.

This Tyrone team is statistically the highest scoring team in the history of the Championship. Anyone who thinks they are a defensive team doesn't know if it's pumped or stuffed.

What does the stat mean?
Have you evidence to back it up?

Look at the stats for the highest points scored by a team in a championship season. Look where Tyrone 2017 and Tyrone 2018 are.

So are you saying that Tyrone in 2017 or 2018 have scored more than any team in any year?

Can you provide a link to the stats because I have better things to be doing. But if you are  making such a claim you must have the evidence?

I had a look at 2017 and Dublin's total scored and scoring average are both much higher than Tyrone's. In 2018 Tyrone played two games more than anyone else but their scoring average was still far below Dublin's.

It might be the highest number of points scored without winning anything? I know they're the first team to have lost three times in the Championship.

I had all this worked out before. In 2017 Mayo broke the all time scoring record in a championship season. In 2018 Tyrone beat that record by a few points, but unfortunately Dublin also beat it that year, so as it stands Dublin have the highest scoring season of all time in 2018, Tyrone are second in 2018 and Mayo are in third in 2017.

So statistically, Red hand is incorrect?

Fuzzman

As the game gets closer I'm getting less confident as usual.
I think with the very clever and experienced Anthony Cunningham at the helm now, Roscommon will be a lo streetwise than they were at this stage last year.
It's one thing beating Div 1 teams in the spring time and early summer but I think the top teams seem to coast through the earlier rounds and focus getting to peak fitness and higher performance levels for mid July to August with a view to get into the Semis.
Many would say Tyrone got to a AI final last year with quite an easy run and the same could be said again last year as they made light work of Kildare and Cavan.
A home match to last years runners up is a huge opportunity for the Rossies to show their Connacht performances were flukes and if the intelligent Cunningham can learn from how not to play into Tyrone's defensive spider web they could indeed spring a surprise.
In recent games though Tyrone have had their game won at half time and with Colly Cavanagh back in the middle of the Web, means it's hard for teams to make come backs.
Cox at full forward will cause problems if given the right supply but Tyrone were particularly mean against Cavan and even let them take their short kick outs just so that they could flood the defence right away from restarts and not be caught by long kick outs over the top of the midfield.

I think it could be a tougher game than we might think but if Petey Harte can avoid the dreaded black card or worse then we should win.

Jayop

As far as the numbers I had, yes.

2017 - Mayo = 17:164 (215 points) - 10 games
2018 - Tyrone = 17:164 (215 points) - 10 games
2018 - Dubs = 17:169 (220 points) - 8 games

So joint second highest ever championship score. Dubs average score is higher but they racked up unreal scores in the three Leinster games that year.

Interestingly Tyrone have potentially eleven games to play this year if they make the final which will be the most ever in a championship season.  We're also 29 points ahead of the score total we had this time last year before the super 8 started so if Tyrone do make the final this year it would be hard to see them not beating their own previous score again. We're 56 points ahead of Dublin this year so far too having played twice as many games.

RedHand88

Quote from: Jayop on July 12, 2019, 04:54:32 PM
As far as the numbers I had, yes.

2017 - Mayo = 17:164 (215 points) - 10 games
2018 - Tyrone = 17:164 (215 points) - 10 games
2018 - Dubs = 17:169 (220 points) - 8 games

So joint second highest ever championship score. Dubs average score is higher but they racked up unreal scores in the three Leinster games that year.

Interestingly Tyrone have potentially eleven games to play this year if they make the final which will be the most ever in a championship season.  We're also 29 points ahead of the score total we had this time last year before the super 8 started so if Tyrone do make the final this year it would be hard to see them not beating their own previous score again. We're 56 points ahead of Dublin this year so far too having played twice as many games.

Thinking I saw that stat in the run-up to last year's final now. Would make sense that Dublin overtook them after the final.
So no, sorry, they aren't the most offensive team of all time, just the second most offensive team of all time.

weareros

None of that stuff can be accurate lads. Sure off the top of my head and going down memory lane, in the 1980 championship Roscommon scored:

9-19 v London
1-14 v Galway
3-13 v Mayo
2-20 v Armagh
1-6 (ouch) v Kerry

That's an average of 24 points per game.

Jayop

Quote from: weareros on July 12, 2019, 05:13:59 PM
None of that stuff can be accurate lads. Sure off the top of my head and going down memory lane, in the 1980 championship Roscommon scored:

9-19 v London
1-14 v Galway
3-13 v Mayo
2-20 v Armagh
1-6 (ouch) v Kerry

That's an average of 24 points per game.

A total of 120 points.

The fact is that 220 points total is the top score of all time over a championship.  That's 27.5 PPG if you want to go down that road.

All these totals will be beat over and over again with more and more games being added to the championship. God forbid if a decent Dublin side got put out of Leinster in a quarter final having played in the prelim then they would be looking at playing 11 games up to an all-ireland final. They would smash these records again.