Feigning Injuries

Started by mrdeeds, March 06, 2023, 12:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

befair

Tyrone introduced diving/feigning injury in the 2000s, but as it's proven to be effective, there's been a culture change, and every team is at it, even at club level. Impossible for a ref to determine if an injury if being feigned, even if they have a MRI in their pocket.
And there are other consequences; with so many faked injuries, identifying the real one becomes more difficult

Derryman forever

Quote from: grounded on March 06, 2023, 09:49:58 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 06, 2023, 07:04:03 PM
Quote from: trileacman on March 06, 2023, 03:31:42 PM
The best way to curtail it is to say that all physio interventions not related to fouls should be limited to 20 seconds or some number like that. Mostly lads have no need for a physio they just want to catch their breath after a bad belt or walk off a slight dead leg. Give them a few seconds relief if needs be but none of this minutes of physios holding their heads and rolling it about like the bolts have come loose.

The problem is you can't enforce a rule like this. If there's blood involved or a head hits the ground, no referee is going to enforce it, which just means they once again have to interpret things rather than apply rules, and will be subject to verbal abuse from all and sundry.

Correct and possibly opening themselves and GAA to legal repurcussions should the player actually have a serious injury.
       Its a mess. Out of interest what happens in a similar injury scenario(feigned or genuine) in Aussie rules?

In Aussie rules, you never let the bastard know he hurt you.

thewobbler

Rugby (both codes) is a fascinating example of how sports can get their on-field culture so right. There's an implicit respect for referees, and when a man is down, he's down for a reason.

Unfortunately, as is our way, we take our influences from English football, and worse again it's combined with a cultural yearning and even respect for acts of shithousery, that borders on sado-masochistic; we will blindly defend one of our own when gouges an opponent, and blithely condemn one of them for getting upset about it.

It could take generations to reverse this culture. But the quickest way to get there would be to make sure that management and supporters always roar for their team to get back on their feet after a collision. Hence that suggestion for a rule change: if you need to see a physio, then you must be hurt. So you're taking a full minute on the sideline while the game carries on.

Wildweasel74

Easiest way to change it, is through management, who are alot to blame as they can come down on the players, but I feel they encourage it. Pat Gilroy came in and changed a whole pile of previous Shithousery and they won a All-Ireland, so that's the starting point, another is the pansy attitude of players. In recent years the only 2 serious injuries are recall are 2leg injuries. Possible on games been reviewed each week a man faking Injury should have a case to answer,. Hope they found the sniper in the Cavan v Down game.

Jell 0 Biafra

How are you going to prove feigning injury though? 

Cavan19

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on March 07, 2023, 12:54:02 AM

There was one or two on Sunday that were obvious as there wasn't even contact and lads went down holding their head and the referee waved at them to get up. When there is contact it is hard to tell if they are feigning or not and the referee isn't in a position to make that call and will always go on the side of caution. One thing that is frustrating is players getting tackled and there is contact made to the shoulder or back and they are going down holding their head.

I think play needs to go on for all injuries until the next break in play as the doctors and Physios go onto the field anyway and stopping play isn't going to make them recover any quicker and in some cases you will find they will recover quickly. You don't see the play been stopped in Rugby unless the play goes near the player on the ground and i think similar would help our game.

square_ball

Quote from: Cavan19 on March 07, 2023, 08:29:28 AM

There was one or two on Sunday that were obvious as there wasn't even contact and lads went down holding their head and the referee waved at them to get up. When there is contact it is hard to tell if they are feigning or not and the referee isn't in a position to make that call and will always go on the side of caution. One thing that is frustrating is players getting tackled and there is contact made to the shoulder or back and they are going down holding their head.

I think play needs to go on for all injuries until the next break in play as the doctors and Physios go onto the field anyway and stopping play isn't going to make them recover any quicker and in some cases you will find they will recover quickly. You don't see the play been stopped in Rugby unless the play goes near the player on the ground and i think similar would help our game.

I would agree with that in principal but you'll all of a sudden find that a lot of injuries for the defending team will occur at the top of the D so that play has to be halted.

Ultimately it comes down to players wising up and cutting out the crap. And I'm not sure that will happen any time soon.

I did find this one funny on Saturday:

https://twitter.com/m_brosnan/status/1632694189103218688?s=20

Milltown Row2

Guys, I'm not going to take responsibility on getting a call wrong on fake or real injury, and playing on that may result in someone swallowing  his tongue from falling to the ground or impact from a fair shoulder charge. It's not a professional sport, it's a passionate sporting pastime, lets put that into perspective.

Someone grabbing their face when the impact is not there is a dick and should be highlighted and a ban placed on him after its been seen to happen on the Sunday game or something, just to put back on players to stop acting the p***k
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cavan19

Quote from: square_ball on March 07, 2023, 09:03:25 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on March 07, 2023, 08:29:28 AM

I would agree with that in principal but you'll all of a sudden find that a lot of injuries for the defending team will occur at the top of the D so that play has to be halted.

Ultimately it comes down to players wising up and cutting out the crap. And I'm not sure that will happen any time soon.

I did find this one funny on Saturday:

https://twitter.com/m_brosnan/status/1632694189103218688?s=20

I was laughing at that at the time alright  ;D

tonto1888

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 06, 2023, 03:43:16 PM
I was at Down game but not about that. Sean Kelly playacting for Galway shocking. I've seen Ethan Rafferty pushed in back recently going down and holding face. Needs to be stamped out.

Ive seen Rafferty do it a couple of times. I hate seeing it from any player but especially from a player from my own county

tonto1888

Quote from: thewobbler on March 06, 2023, 11:07:52 PM
Rugby (both codes) is a fascinating example of how sports can get their on-field culture so right. There's an implicit respect for referees, and when a man is down, he's down for a reason.

apart from Bloodgate which is one of the worst forms of cheating ive ever seen

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/true-story-nigel-owens-bloodgate-16121723

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on March 07, 2023, 11:38:33 AM
Quote from: mrdeeds on March 06, 2023, 03:43:16 PM
I was at Down game but not about that. Sean Kelly playacting for Galway shocking. I've seen Ethan Rafferty pushed in back recently going down and holding face. Needs to be stamped out.

Ive seen Rafferty do it a couple of times. I hate seeing it from any player but especially from a player from my own county
Yeah hate to see it. He went down against Mayo along the sideline as if he'd had head taken off him one time ffs.

ck

Interestingly these issues used to be highlighted on the Sunday Game/League Sunday. This is no longer the case as the mundane, scripted and sanitised commentary/punditry that is now on view is beyond poor - they now focus on less controversial items and simply state the obvious.

The feigning of injury is a stain on our games and the better teams are better at it. Why can the referees not see it?
A black card for diving or rolling around the grass holding their face after barely being touched may assist the issue.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ck on March 07, 2023, 12:31:56 PM
Interestingly these issues used to be highlighted on the Sunday Game/League Sunday. This is no longer the case as the mundane, scripted and sanitised commentary/punditry that is now on view is beyond poor - they now focus on less controversial items and simply state the obvious.

The feigning of injury is a stain on our games and the better teams are better at it. Why can the referees not see it?
A black card for diving or rolling around the grass holding their face after barely being touched may assist the issue.

So its a refereeing problem? Its a rule problem and a player problem.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RedHand88

Quote from: befair on March 06, 2023, 10:00:27 PM
Tyrone introduced diving/feigning injury in the 2000s, but as it's proven to be effective, there's been a culture change, and every team is at it, even at club level. Impossible for a ref to determine if an injury if being feigned, even if they have a MRI in their pocket.
And there are other consequences; with so many faked injuries, identifying the real one becomes more difficult

Lol what a load of nonsense. That team was known for its intensity, running after a ball like your life depended on it. It did not introduce feigning injury into GAA   :o