Podcasts

Started by Soup an Samajiz, November 06, 2015, 09:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapchap

Excellent podcast out called 'The Witness: In His Own Words'. Ten episodes of around a half hour each.

It's about the youngest person to ever be entered into the Witness Protection Programme in the south - Joseph O'Callaghan - who from the age of 12 was coerced into working for Dublin gangster Brian Kenny, mostly in dealing heroin, until he eventually escaped Kenny's control and gave a statement to the Gardaí about a murder he knew Kenny and another of his associates had committed.

The podcast is essentially just O'Callaghan telling his story. He comes across as an unbelievably decent human being who has had more trauma in his life than anyone should ever have to deal with.

Saffrongael

Yes I listened to this a few weeks ago and it's excellent.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

J70

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 22, 2020, 01:41:04 PM
I'll second 13 Minutes To The Moon. Just the right amount of geeky engineering content without going overboard, and let's face it it's an interesting story!

Late to this, but that sounds like a good listen.

Will check it out.

JBM on the 21

Listened to this a few years back. USA in the 1998 World Cup
https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/american-fiasco

Main Street

BBC Sounds, "Bad Cops"   a real life resemblance to"The Shield", a podcast drama  of events that happened in Baltimore, USA.

toby47

Quote from: Snapchap on September 27, 2021, 03:09:57 PM
Excellent podcast out called 'The Witness: In His Own Words'. Ten episodes of around a half hour each.

It's about the youngest person to ever be entered into the Witness Protection Programme in the south - Joseph O'Callaghan - who from the age of 12 was coerced into working for Dublin gangster Brian Kenny, mostly in dealing heroin, until he eventually escaped Kenny's control and gave a statement to the Gardaí about a murder he knew Kenny and another of his associates had committed.

The podcast is essentially just O'Callaghan telling his story. He comes across as an unbelievably decent human being who has had more trauma in his life than anyone should ever have to deal with.

Also listened to it. Would highly recommend.

Madness what goes on in the drugs/gangs game.

J70

Quote from: J70 on September 27, 2021, 04:24:16 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 22, 2020, 01:41:04 PM
I'll second 13 Minutes To The Moon. Just the right amount of geeky engineering content without going overboard, and let's face it it's an interesting story!

Late to this, but that sounds like a good listen.

Will check it out.

Finished the first two seasons of 13 Minutes to the Moon.

Great recommendation Tony.

Both seasons excellent and explained things in laymen's terms.

The Apollo 13 season showed how much they had to dumb down or simplify things for the movie (which is still a very good film).

ONE WTF moment for me: Jim Lovell's son being told by his military school physics teacher not to worry about his father because sure it was all fake anyway! :o

lurganblue

Quote from: toby47 on September 30, 2021, 09:56:48 AM

Cheers for this. Decent listen.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: lurganblue on October 12, 2021, 03:37:38 PM

another appreciation post for The Witness. Genuinely shocking and absolutely gripping.
Hasta la victoria siempre

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on October 13, 2021, 01:38:54 AM

another appreciation post for The Witness. Genuinely shocking and absolutely gripping.

Another thumbs up from me.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

toby47

Mostly listen to Sporting/GAA podcasts but found'The Witness' absolutely gripping & listened to it all in one day.

Any other recommendations?

tiempo

There's a pretty good pod about the Northern Bank raid

Also Joe Rogan and Randall Carlson discussion on extinction level events of the past, the populating of north America and dangers of scientific dogma

yellowcard

Definitely would recommend The Witness podcast best I've heard this year. Joey O'Callaghan was incredibly brave but he still has a life sentence of his own.

Snapchap

Quote from: gerrykeegan on October 13, 2021, 08:45:53 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on October 13, 2021, 01:38:54 AM

Another thumbs up from me.

Glad yous like it as much as I did. I think the fact that Joseph comes across as such a kind hearted, decent being, makes it all the more fascinating a story. I see he also wrote a book about it. I'm sure there's nothing new in it that hasn't been covered in 5 hours of a podcast, but I would be inclined to buy it purely to give him the support!

lurganblue

Any new recommendations of late?  I'm finding myself a little at sea with podcasts at the minute.  I still have my go to sporting ones that i enjoy but i havent had a good series in a while.

On a side note, has anyone signed up for Wolly's new one?