Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SG08

I don't like Trump but who cares if McIlroy played a round with him.
I'm honestly glad to see McIlroy isn't as worried about trying to keep everyone happy as he used to.
(Not wanting to pick between Ireland or GB last year)

ashman

The whole Trump thing is mad at this stage and the decriers are as bad as the decriers .

J70

Quote from: Taylor on February 21, 2017, 01:53:16 PM
It is more an opportunity for the trump bashers to come to the fore again.

Tiger played a round with him not long ago as well.

And so what if he supports Trump? He will go well with the other 60 odd million.

Trump is a very divisive, notorious figure.

Playing golf with him and posing for the photo op means he is going to get asked about it. I'm sure McIllroy was well aware of that. He may simply not be clued in, he may like Trump, he may not give a bollocks about politics and the world, he may have been pursuing a pet cause. Whatever it is, he had to know it would raise interest.

Perhaps no one cares about Woods because he is not Irish?

As for "Trump bashers having an opportunity to come to the fore again"... get a grip. Trump spouts enough shite every day to keep people going for weeks on each day alone!  ;D

screenexile

I'm a bit disappointed to be honest as I thought McIlroy would have been above that . . .

To go from this in March of last year:

http://www.sportingnews.com/golf/news/rory-mcilroy-2016-us-presidential-election-donald-trump-hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-marco-rubio/e0let18d05ji1hh4q4wk1kw72

To playing with Trump at Mar a Lago seems odd to me!!

SG08

Quote from: screenexile on February 21, 2017, 03:23:25 PM
I'm a bit disappointed to be honest as I thought McIlroy would have been above that . . .

To go from this in March of last year:

http://www.sportingnews.com/golf/news/rory-mcilroy-2016-us-presidential-election-donald-trump-hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-marco-rubio/e0let18d05ji1hh4q4wk1kw72

To playing with Trump at Mar a Lago seems odd to me!!

Just because he wouldn't vote for him doesn't mean he shouldn't play golf with him.
I wouldn't vote for John Daly as president but I'd still love to play a round of golf with him.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on February 21, 2017, 03:01:03 PM

And so what if he supports Trump? He will go well with the other 60 odd million.

Playing golf with him and posing for the photo op means he is going to get asked about it. I'm sure McIllroy was well aware of that. He may simply not be clued in, he may like Trump, he may not give a bollocks about politics and the world, he may have been pursuing a pet cause. Whatever it is, he had to know it would raise interest.

As for "Trump bashers having an opportunity to come to the fore again"... get a grip. Trump spouts enough shite every day to keep people going for weeks on each day alone!  ;D
FFS......the left need to give it a rest....they're completely overplaying their hand and people are starting to tune out the faux outrage

Who do you think plays more golf in the States...Republicans or Democrats?

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 21, 2017, 03:53:45 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 21, 2017, 03:01:03 PM

FFS......the left need to give it a rest....they're completely overplaying their hand and people are starting to tune out the faux outrage

Who do you think plays more golf in the States...Republicans or Democrats?

Is this even news in the states?

I knew nothing about it till I read it on here.

So not sure what this has to do with the left supposedly overplaying their hand.

And I'm not outraged, faux or otherwise. I don't give a bollocks what McIllroy thinks. I'm just commenting that he should have expected to be asked questions about it. Never said it was an issue of importance.

On the political leanings of the average golfer - I have no idea. My western conservative in-laws are into guns and hunting, while my wife is a decent golfer (I am one level below degenerate). I would expect the average golfer is wealthier than the average citizen. Depends on where you are how that breaks down politically I would think.

Orior

Was McIlroy compromised into playing with the clown?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Take Your Points

Quote from: Orior on February 21, 2017, 05:10:46 PM

Given that it was at Trump's private resort it was most likely planned.  Trump has recently increased the cost of membership and Rory might be a further angle on marketing Trump's own private course.  I don't recall any pictures of him playing with Obama.  Surely Rory wouldn't be so shallow as to want to be seen with the President and asked to play a round with Trump?

So much of professional golf is just marketing that you wouldn't know who was using who.

heganboy

Quote from: foxcommander on February 21, 2017, 02:18:25 PM
Will we see protests on the greens at future Golf events involving Rory?

"All putts matter"

Fox,
That's really funny!
Already stolen...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Orior

Quote from: heganboy on February 21, 2017, 05:56:59 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on February 21, 2017, 02:18:25 PM
Will we see protests on the greens at future Golf events involving Rory?

"All putts matter"

Fox,
That's really funny!
Already stolen...

I don't get it :-/

Orior

Quote from: Take Your Points on February 21, 2017, 05:22:05 PM

Given that it was at Trump's private resort it was most likely planned.  Trump has recently increased the cost of membership and Rory might be a further angle on marketing Trump's own private course.  I don't recall any pictures of him playing with Obama.  Surely Rory wouldn't be so shallow as to want to be seen with the President and asked to play a round with Trump?

So much of professional golf is just marketing that you wouldn't know who was using who.

My golf is so bad that I'm paid by Nike not to wear their gear.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Take Your Points on February 21, 2017, 05:22:05 PM

He's played with Obama and Clinton

Difficult decision for him I'd imagine with sponsors, golf is a fairly right wing, white, republican sport

Harrington had an interesting point in his interview with Lowry and Kimmage at the weekend, basically just because I'm good at hitting a small white ball round the place why should my political views matter
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

armaghniac

At least Trump couldn't make fun of Rory's handicap!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Gabriel_Hurl

I know Rory has played with Clinton - I don't recall him playing with Obama though