Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffsof82

A lot of the u20s asked up to senior training tonight. While I'm delighted to see, it's a shame it's only the result of a few established players dropping out.

bannside

Management have a responsibility to get the counties best players out playing and performing on match day to an acceptable level. That's their sole purpose, and that's how they will be judged. Every county will lose a few here and there, we won't be the only ones in that boat.

Doors open and doors close, but the show must go on!

ONeill

Quote from: Saffsof82 on May 13, 2022, 11:03:30 PM
A lot of the u20s asked up to senior training tonight. While I'm delighted to see, it's a shame it's only the result of a few established players dropping out.

You'll find that in most counties, no matter the competition.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Saffsof82 on May 13, 2022, 11:03:30 PM

Do we know for sure what players are dropping out?

country bumpkin

A few players may well for some reason or another may well be unable to commit but the 'Show does remain on the road..'.....trained last evening again in Dunsilly.

Hear the comments on entry back to Liam Mc Carthy is a possibility for our hurlers if the can travel the Mc Donagh road.
Good stuff, but are they any closer to an Ireland title than our footballers......only asking.

bannside

The list so far PJ, subject to correction, is.....

Oisin, Ricky, Luke,
Marty, Eunan, Jamie Mc Cann, Boyle, Heery,
and we await confirmation on the Cargin three, were they at Dunsilly last night or not?

bannside

Saffs, the more I think of it, the more outstandingly appalling it is that CK was parachuted in ahead of young Heery who is a terrific prospect. SK has responsibility for the defence, so i can only assume this is his call.

This bringing in under 20s is a bit of a joke though. I just don't get it. For sure there is a small handful who could go in and make things competitive, but can anyone tell me how a promising 18 or 19 year olds development would at this minute in time be ahead of a promising 20/21/22/23 year old who is a bit further down the road!

Or...if the plan is to unearth some youth why go for Kerr ahead of Heery? It just dosent add up!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on May 14, 2022, 08:50:46 AM
A few players may well for some reason or another may well be unable to commit but the 'Show does remain on the road..'.....trained last evening again in Dunsilly.

Hear the comments on entry back to Liam Mc Carthy is a possibility for our hurlers if the can travel the Mc Donagh road.
Good stuff, but are they any closer to an Ireland title than our footballers......only asking.

No they'll never get to that standard and neither will the football team. So should just knock it on head...

Wiser eating grass
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on May 14, 2022, 09:38:32 AM
The list so far PJ, subject to correction, is.....

Oisin, Ricky, Luke,
Marty, Eunan, Jamie Mc Cann, Boyle, Heery,
and we await confirmation on the Cargin three, were they at Dunsilly last night or not?
Plenty of room for the Portglenone men who opted out before the season even started to come back Bannside. You weren't as critical of them, interesting.

bannside

Players can make their own call regarding how they assess their reward versus endeavour balance - in other words - is it worth it!

A rookie at 19 or 20 may stick it out a bit longer than a Marty Johnston for example who gets little game time, or a Eunan Walsh might just say feck it, I'm wasting my time here.

A manager being honest with you and not filling your head full of sweetie mice might also be helpful.

Now EOC, that's a million miles different from the yardage that the Cargin Trio have got since the minute Enda walked in the door. As I say, Is expect them to be lining out - loyalty works two ways. And I trust you have the capacity to discern between the two completely different set of circumstances.

BrendanAntrim

Minors beaten by Cavan, that's their season over. 1.16 to 0.13, Cavan goal came very late on. Sounds like a much improved performance than last week. Can't help feeling this group had a lot of potential, only the Monaghan championship game really to show for it. Fair play to squad and management, did a load of work.

bannside

Didn't get to it but sounds like a spirited performance. No doubt there are a few within the group who can kick on, and we look forward to seeing some of them again in Saffron.

bannside

As expected the rumours regarding the non availability of the Cargin trio are inaccurate....Ioyalty is a 2way street, expect at least two of the aforementioned to be available.

Was wondering if management thought it was worthwhile inviting in Matt Fitzpatrick. The timescales involved are perfect during the soccer close season, and we have no reason to doubt his ability to perform at this level.

country bumpkin

But Cargin have five on the Antrim panel....

Westside

Antrim Minors pushed our lads all the way yesterday. 6 points flattered Cavan it was more of a 2/3 point game. I thought Antrim could have shown a bit more ambition though to be honest. They came with a defensive system and camped inside their own 45 for a lot of the game. Even as the game slipped away from them, they continued to ensure they had adequate cover in defence and the manager began to shout for them to push up after 60 minutes when Cavan had a comfortable lead. McCormick for Antrim was brilliant and if one of Antrim's goal chances went in we would have been in bother. Was impressed with Antrim's tackling and defensive effort. They had a few excellent ball carriers too.