Changes that could improve Soccer

Started by The Real Laoislad, August 14, 2007, 06:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

I read a spoof article the other day about things that could improve the game of soccer.It had things like a Robocop type version of Pierluigi Collina to ref matches! :)

Anyways it got be thinking on a more serious note about what would improve soccer,
Would a salary cap for players make smaller clubs more cometitive as the top players could earn as much with them as the bigger clubs,Or would Video Refs be a good thing?
Any other suggestions?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

GalwayBayBoy

One that's always bugged me is you know when a ball is rolling towards the end line and the defender uses his body to block the attacker from getting to the ball. If you tried to do that on any other part of the field it'd be a free-kick as the defender is making no attempt whatsoever to play the ball and is just obstructing the attacker from getting to it. Drives me mad. >:(

inisceithleann

Refs giving goalkeepers unbelievable protection in the box, especially when other players are competing for a cross or corner kick. If anyone goes near the keeper a free is given, the ref always has the whistle in his mouth ready to give the free. Its a contact sport after all.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

magickingdom

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 14, 2007, 06:07:33 PM

Would a salary cap for players make smaller clubs more cometitive as the top players could earn as much with them as the bigger clubs,Or would Video Refs be a good thing?
Any other suggestions?

the sooner that happens the better. its worked wonders in the states esp in the nfl...

Norf Tyrone

QuoteOne that's always bugged me is you know when a ball is rolling towards the end line and the defender uses his body to block the attacker from getting to the ball. If you tried to do that on any other part of the field it'd be a free-kick as the defender is making no attempt whatsoever to play the ball and is just obstructing the attacker from getting to it. Drives me mad.

Can't understand this either....it's blatant obstruction. The rule already covers this, and applying it would encourage defenders to play football.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

AZOffaly

I think they should bring back the back pass. Then Liverpool could win the league again :D

(Bring back Kenny Dalglish, Ian Rush and Graeme Souness while we're at it)

Gnevin

Reintroduce the tackle its a non existent as it is now
Bigger goals.
Simpler offside rule something along the line cant be in the box before the ball is played
Lose 1 if not 2 players

Maybe some sort of players behind the ball rule to remove total defence systems
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The Real Laoislad

Getting booked for running to the crowd and celebrating after scoring a goal always irritates me
You'll Never Walk Alone.

inisceithleann

Refs not giving penalties because they change their stance on what constitutes a foul when a challenge is made in the box. If they'd give a free anywhere else on the pitch for the tackle then its a penalty. Need refs to apply the law properly.

Bogball XV

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 14, 2007, 06:07:33 PM
I read a spoof article the other day about things that could improve the game of soccer.It had things like a Robocop type version of Pierluigi Collina to ref matches! :)

Anyways it got be thinking on a more serious note about what would improve soccer,
Any other suggestions?
Salary caps would be the single most constructive thing that could be done - look at the NFL, any franchise can harbour realistic hopes of winning the superbowl (not every season obviously, but they know that at some stage they will get a decent run at it).

Rossfan

How about -- 15 a side,allow use of hands,allow points to be scored by hitting the ball over the bar;do away with offside.
That would improve it no end. :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

inisceithleann

Players getting booked for taking their shirt off when celebrating a goal. Am i right in saying FIFA introduced this because showing a bare chest is offensive in the Muslim world??

SuperSub

Quote from: Rossfan on August 14, 2007, 07:10:28 PM
How about -- 15 a side,allow use of hands,allow points to be scored by hitting the ball over the bar;do away with offside.
That would improve it no end. :D

And maybe Roscommom could enter their minor team into the FA Youth Cup and if they won it they could call themselves  FA Cup Champions instead of FA Youth Cup Champions

Evil Genius

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on August 14, 2007, 06:39:44 PM
QuoteOne that's always bugged me is you know when a ball is rolling towards the end line and the defender uses his body to block the attacker from getting to the ball. If you tried to do that on any other part of the field it'd be a free-kick as the defender is making no attempt whatsoever to play the ball and is just obstructing the attacker from getting to it. Drives me mad.

Can't understand this either....it's blatant obstruction. The rule already covers this, and applying it would encourage defenders to play football.

This misunderstands the Rule. Referees are instructed to distinguish between (legitimate) shielding of the ball and (illegal) obstruction. The key is whether the player doing the shielding is physically capable of playing the ball should he choose, or whether he is not capable of reaching and controlling the ball, so is merely concerned with obstructing (impeding) his opponent.

The "should he choose" part is why shielding should be allowed as a legitimate part of the game. Otherwise, you end up penalising a defender who has skilfully used his anticipation, speed, strength etc to get to a position where he may control the ball before his opponent.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 14, 2007, 06:29:07 PM
Refs giving goalkeepers unbelievable protection in the box, especially when other players are competing for a cross or corner kick. If anyone goes near the keeper a free is given, the ref always has the whistle in his mouth ready to give the free. Its a contact sport after all.

Couldn't agree more. Sadly, the pendulum appears to have swung to the other extreme from the old days when keepers were seen as "fair game" for any thug of a centre forward to fillet them whilst they were most vulnerable (e.g diving at a forward's feet, or leaping into the air, arms outstretched, to catch a cross etc)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"