Wasp Nest Removal

Started by aontroim, June 19, 2007, 12:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aontroim

Found a wasp nest yesterday outside in the eaves of the garage - it's not massive at the minute (about size of a grapefruit) but theres plenty of wasps about it.  Anyone dealt with removing one of these before themselves or will local councils take care of this type of problem?

rrhf

burn the bastards with petrol and flame.

An Fear Rua

There is supposed to be a shortage of Wasps this year( and an increase in Hornets) so if your environmentally minded, get it disposed of professionally , others would call it relocation....
Its Grim up North

aontroim

Quote from: rrhf on June 19, 2007, 12:58:29 PM
burn the bastards with petrol and flame.

unfortunately the garage would go up in smoke with them - i don't have that big of a problem with them yet!

J70

Wait until the early morning after a cold night, when they're all a bit torpid, toss the nest into a few plastic bags, dump them out in the woods, and run like f**k! And make sure you wear long sleeves, trousers, hat, gloves etc!

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I was watching The Swarm yesterday - give Michael Caine a ring and yer man Widmark is still alive - they'll soon get rid of them wee stingers
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Evil Genius

Are the wasps actually doing any harm? I only ask, because where I used to live, we had a wasps' nest in the roofspace, which over the years became absolutely massive.
However, I left them alone, since the only impact was when some wasps occasionally flew (dropped?) though a crack in the ceiling into our bathroom, from where it was simple for them to find their way out through the extractor fan, or when a window was left open.

All God's Creatures and the like... 
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Hardy

It's not very practical advice, but be careful - be very, very careful! If you piss them off, they will attack you in their hundreds. I saw the results once when a lad I knew ended up in hospital for a week, with a face like a pumpkin and hands like pounds of sausages.

In case you dind't hear me - be careful!

Evil Genius

Quote from: Hardy on June 19, 2007, 02:16:08 PM
It's not very practical advice, but be careful - be very, very careful! If you piss them off, they will attack you in their hundreds. I saw the results once when a lad I knew ended up in hospital for a week, with a face like a pumpkin and hands like pounds of sausages.

Quite true, Hardy, but I would repeat my own advice which is if you don't piss them off, and can avoid them, they'll not do you any harm, either.

And remember, they're only active for a few weeks of the year, the rest of the time they're in hibernation.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

maddog

Quote from: aontroim on June 19, 2007, 12:56:54 PM
Found a wasp nest yesterday outside in the eaves of the garage - it's not massive at the minute (about size of a grapefruit) but theres plenty of wasps about it.  Anyone dealt with removing one of these before themselves or will local councils take care of this type of problem?

I had one a couple of years ago. It was in the vent brick in my toilet. Now when you were sitting down taking a number 2, the hum of the wasps about 2 feet above your head with your kegs round your ankles was disturbing to say the least. Got some guy out of the yellow pages, £40. He just connected these rods together to make a length of about 20 feet, stood in the garden and sprayed some shit into the vent brick. Wasps gone next day.

J70

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 19, 2007, 02:20:58 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 19, 2007, 02:16:08 PM

Quite true, Hardy, but I would repeat my own advice which is if you don't piss them off, and can avoid them, they'll not do you any harm, either.

And remember, they're only active for a few weeks of the year, the rest of the time they're in hibernation.

Actually, the only wasps that hibernate are the queens. Wasp colonies last only one season in temperate latitudes like Ireland. All the workers die off in the autumn. Honeybee colonies, on the other hand, last through the winter: that's why they gather nectar and store honey. However, wasps and bees will be fairly inactive during colder weather, hence that is the time to take any action against them.

J70

Quote from: maddog on June 19, 2007, 02:21:58 PM
Quote from: aontroim on June 19, 2007, 12:56:54 PM

I had one a couple of years ago. It was in the vent brick in my toilet. Now when you were sitting down taking a number 2, the hum of the wasps about 2 feet above your head with your kegs round your ankles was disturbing to say the least. Got some guy out of the yellow pages, £40. He just connected these rods together to make a length of about 20 feet, stood in the garden and sprayed some shit into the vent brick. Wasps gone next day.

Paying the boy 40 pounds to do it safely is probably the way to go all right!

Hardy

I usually tend to live and let live, but I make an exception for wasps. I don't like slugs either, but I can understand their evolutionary significance and their value in the food chain. But what are wasps for?

Gnevin

I have some stuff at home the use to kill insects on aircraft, i used it on the wasps under the shed and the insects in the ground 10 foot away came up and died . Mighty powerful stuff
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

maddog

Quote from: Hardy on June 19, 2007, 02:30:23 PM

I usually tend to live and let live, but I make an exception for wasps. I don't like slugs either, but I can understand their evolutionary significance and their value in the food chain. But what are wasps for?

Wasps are just nasty bastards. Bees i've no problem with but wasps freak me out. What really "grinds my gears" is in summer my mother puts an empty jam jar 3/4 full of water and with a lick of jam round the top to lure in and drown the wasps. But where does she put it? In the feckin kitchen window. ::)