M50 and its traffic

Started by mannix, June 15, 2007, 11:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 23, 2014, 01:27:53 PM
There could be knock on effects further south once this is up and running. The N/M7 as far as Newbridge is a mess every evening. The traffic seems to ease after the Newhall junction. It will be worse once the Kerry Group in Naas is fully opened and the works start to add an extra lane on the old Naas bypass section as far as the M9 spur.

I don't think it will make it worse, although obviously it is under pressure until they add the extra lane. The present Newlands Setup with traffic lights batches traffic into clumps, this flyover will smooth things out.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on October 23, 2014, 01:16:39 PM
QuoteIs that the N7 inbound (towards Dublin) approaching Newlands Cross?

It is the city side of Newlands Cross, the flyover just being out of the picture on the left.

Going from Lucan seems a good move if coming from the North, that is decent route.  Note at this time 13:10, the outbound traffic is in a queue in the traffic cam above!

Of course, the slip road for the right turn inbound is the other side of the road works from the through traffic.
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Quote from: armaghniac on October 23, 2014, 01:48:46 PM
There could be knock on effects further south once this is up and running. The N/M7 as far as Newbridge is a mess every evening. The traffic seems to ease after the Newhall junction. It will be worse once the Kerry Group in Naas is fully opened and the works start to add an extra lane on the old Naas bypass section as far as the M9 spur.

I don't think it will make it worse, although obviously it is under pressure until they add the extra lane. The present Newlands Setup with traffic lights batches traffic into clumps, this flyover will smooth things out.

Induced demand would indicate differently, more improved roads, more traffic. more congestion.

They need to be improving the commuter rail systems and reducing the cost of public travel.
#newbridgeornowhere

5 Sams

When that flyover is open it'll do away with the last set of traffic lights between Belfast and Cork....there's your piece of useless information for today!
The Aristocrat Years

armaghniac

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 23, 2014, 03:09:27 PM
They need to be improving the commuter rail systems and reducing the cost of public travel.

The Dart underground project is needed to connect Kildare.

Donnellys Hollow

Commuter rail services to the Kildare stations are actually quite good due to the 4 track section after Hazelhatch which frees up a lot of the congestion that existed on the line previously. Passenger usage outside of the normal peak times is quite low mainly because of the ridiculous fare structure. A day return from Sallins to Heuston is €14.60, from Newbridge it's €20.10, from Kildare town it's €22.90. A commuter inside the short hop zone will pay €8.00 to go from Maynooth to Connolly.

People will continue to commute by road no matter how bad the congestion on the M/N7 when the rail alternative is so expensive.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

laoislad

I see the fly over at Newlands Cross is suppose to be open today.
Should make a huge difference to traffic.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tubberman

Quote from: laoislad on November 14, 2014, 02:57:49 PM

Next Thursday it's scheduled to be opened. It will make a massive difference - 20 mins each morning and evening!

http://www.thejournal.ie/newlands-cross-upgrade-1780267-Nov2014/?utm_source=twitter_self
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

muppet

Quote from: Tubberman on November 14, 2014, 03:53:09 PM

Next Thursday it's scheduled to be opened. It will make a massive difference - 20 mins each morning and evening!

http://www.thejournal.ie/newlands-cross-upgrade-1780267-Nov2014/?utm_source=twitter_self

MWWSI 2017

Last Man

Quote from: muppet on November 16, 2014, 05:37:47 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on November 14, 2014, 03:53:09 PM

+1

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 23, 2014, 03:09:27 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 23, 2014, 01:48:46 PM

Induced demand would indicate differently, more improved roads, more traffic. more congestion.

They've been adding extra lanes here in California for years and instead of easing congestion it just creates more of it. Sometimes it eases things in the short term, but long term it gets worse because people move farther out to take advantage of cheap property and a temporarily easy commute. By the time everybody else gets the same idea then you're back to square one, except instead of 4 jammed lanes you've got 5 jammed lanes.

A better rail alternative would make a much better impact, but in the longer run you have to look at settlement patterns and ask why so many people need to be making these journeys in the first place. Higher densities in the urban core allow more people to live closer to their work, preferably within walking distance.

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 17, 2014, 05:27:28 AM
A better rail alternative would make a much better impact, but in the longer run you have to look at settlement patterns and ask why so many people need to be making these journeys in the first place. Higher densities in the urban core allow more people to live closer to their work, preferably within walking distance.

In Dublin in recent years house prices were going down and fuel costs were going up, so there was some prospect that people would not move to Laois and then propose to commute as was happening in the boom. However, we now have the crazy situation where there is negligible construction in Dublin and rapidly rising rents/house prices fuel is temporarily cheaper and public transport has been cut back, all of which drives people to drive. Do we never learn?

The Bearded One

Just how bad is the M50 southbound in the mornings around 8.30 - 9.30am? I have to use it next week coming from the North heading out the M7 and will be hitting the M50 around 8.30am. Would it be reasonable to leave 45mins to get through the M50 or is that being too hopeful?
It is what it is. Presumably.

Billys Boots

Quote from: The Bearded One on May 19, 2015, 12:40:02 PM
Just how bad is the M50 southbound in the mornings around 8.30 - 9.30am? I have to use it next week coming from the North heading out the M7 and will be hitting the M50 around 8.30am. Would it be reasonable to leave 45mins to get through the M50 or is that being too hopeful?

Aim to avoid completely between 0700 and 1000 Mon-Fri; you could be anything from 45-120 mins in that timeframe.  Depends on how many people decide to rear-end that particular morning. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

muppet

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 19, 2015, 12:50:11 PM
Quote from: The Bearded One on May 19, 2015, 12:40:02 PM

Aim to avoid completely between 0700 and 1000 Mon-Fri; you could be anything from 45-120 mins in that timeframe.  Depends on how many people decide to rear-end that particular morning.

Yip, I occasionally have to use that route. I try to leave the house before 0700 usually and stop for breakfast further down the line. It can be clear and you can be lucky, but if there is an accident, you will sit there for a long time.
MWWSI 2017