Tommy Tiernan

Started by ardal, September 20, 2009, 12:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

botman

Quote from: man in black on September 22, 2009, 12:32:15 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 22, 2009, 12:19:03 PM
I'd rank Ed Byrne as the biggest gobshite.

Tiernan went so far down in my estimation after the Downs Syndrome debacle that he really cannot get much lower.

What was the downs syndrome incident ?

Did he do a Glenn Hoddle? Now that was a funny incident.
Keep them at it.

Main Street

As Tommy says it's okay if you don't get the Down Syndrome reference as you can always come and have a laugh about the Romanians, duck sex, Offaly and Travellers.

Tommy ran the marathon in aid of the Down Syndrome charity.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Main Street on September 22, 2009, 01:42:14 PM
As Tommy says it's okay if you don't get the Down Syndrome reference as you can always come and have a laugh about the Romanians, duck sex, Offaly and Travellers.

I happened to watch "Ok baby" last night with references to those jokes.
He was on the edge with a lot of the jokes. Its mostly shock humour... and I laughed a few times.

But for the most part it was a shite DVD
He has lost his story telling and ability to see the really funny things in life.
Instead he goes too far with insults and pushes the boundaries of who can be insulted.
He has lost the run of it, and just isnt as funny as he used to be.

I have seen him live twice and would have seen most of his DVDs and that show in America and him walking around Ireland.

rosnarun

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 22, 2009, 02:26:50 PM

He was on the edge with a lot of the jokes. Its mostly shock humour... and I laughed a few times.

He has lost his story telling and ability to see the really funny things in life.
Instead he goes too far with insults and pushes the boundaries of who can be insulted.

I have seen him live twice and would have seen most of his DVDs and that show in America and him walking around Ireland.

And some of his best friends are jews

Any one who rememmbers the lunch time plays in the kings head will have a fair ideaa about the talent level of TT. Zilch zero nada
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Shamrock Shore

He just had a routine in his show making fun of those with Downs (like eg how good they's be as drug mules etc).

I know he does charity work but, imo, that does not give him a licence to slag.

Main Street

And what was the point behind the drug mule reference?
If you take comments at face value and also you take offense easy, then ignore Tommy Tiernan.

Go listen to Hal Roach or Bottler instead  ;D

Main Street

Quote from: rosnarun on September 22, 2009, 03:02:54 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on September 22, 2009, 02:26:50 PM

And some of his best friends are jews

Talk is cheap.
Running a marathon is not.

ziggysego

Quote from: Main Street on September 22, 2009, 04:09:10 PM
Talk is cheap.

So running a marathon gives you a free rein to say what you want, no matter the offense it may cause? No!
Testing Accessibility

puskas

If you're funny you can get away with it. Tiernan isn't and deserves all he gets over this.

ross4life

Quote from: puskas on September 22, 2009, 04:38:02 PM
If you're funny you can get away with it. Tiernan isn't and deserves all he gets over this.

i think you should change that to in my opinion ;) unless you can tell me why he sells out every show for not been funny  ???
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 22, 2009, 03:12:41 PM
He just had a routine in his show making fun of those with Downs (like eg how good they's be as drug mules etc).

I know he does charity work but, imo, that does not give him a licence to slag.

Indeed
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Main Street

Quote from: ziggysego on September 22, 2009, 04:15:59 PM
Quote from: Main Street on September 22, 2009, 04:09:10 PM
Talk is cheap.

So running a marathon gives you a free rein to say what you want, no matter the offense it may cause? No!
Who said that ;D
What utter claptrap.
Check back and read the words I have written before, with your intelligence not your emotions.

ross4life

Quote from: stephenite on September 22, 2009, 01:10:21 PM
Quote from: ross4life on September 21, 2009, 09:53:34 PM
P.S it's been a while since i was out in Mayo on a sunday night, but since when did everywhere close at 11pm  :o thankfully i found a Pub in Roscommon opened till the wee hours  :P

They don't - everyone hid 'cos there was someone from Roscommon in town. Everywhere opened up again after you left - just like a travellers wedding :D

ha ha we have a real comedian here! i guess losing all those finals would have to give you a great sense of humor fair play to ye :D
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Maguire01

Context is everything(?)

QuoteA Statement from Tommy Tiernan concerning accusations of anti-Semitism

Firstly, I would like to say that as a private individual I am greatly upset by the thought that these comments have caused hurt to others as this was never my intention; yet, the Electric Picnic public interview with Hot Press Magazine has been taken so far out of context that I am quite bewildered.

The things that I said in front of a live audience were in an attempt to explain my belief that one of the duties of the comic performer is to be reckless and irresponsible and that the things that they say should NEVER be taken out of context. If you read the full transcript or listen to the podcast you will see that I preface my rant by saying that it should not be taken seriously and as such, the rant took place as an example of my argument. While it is out of context, which it most definitely is now, it seems callous cruel and ignorant.

This is not the first time that something like this has happened and it probably won't be the last. However, as a public performer I can only hope that whatever wild, irresponsible and reckless things that come into my head will be taken in the context in which they were said.

According to Hot Press editor, Niall Stokes: "if you see or read it in context, there is a comment in there about people who are fanatical and who can't take a joke. But to interpret it as anti-Semitism is wrongheaded in the extreme. The way I see it, he is satirising anti-Semitism, while making a more general point that we should all be able to laugh at ourselves."

mylestheslasher

Some of ye should stick to listening to Niall Tobin - oh wait he slags Cavan people without out any reason - what a bastard.