Retirements

Started by Rossfan, October 01, 2015, 12:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

So far I'm only aware of Stephen Bray of Eastmeath and from the hurly world Rory Jacob.
any other rumours, half truths or even a few  :ofacts :o?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

oakleaflad

Fergal Doherty retired from intercounty football with Derry. A brilliant midfielder and servant to his county.

twohands!!!

Just looking at some of the older players with a lot of miles on the clock some possibles that jump out

Dublin - Cluxton, Bastic and the two Brogans
Kerry - O'Se, O'Mahoney and Galvin
Mayo - Moran and Dillon
Tyrone - Kavanagh
Monaghan - Clerkin, McAdam,
Donegal - Gallagher, Toye, McFadden, McGee, Lacey and  Durcan I think is gone off/going off to the Middle East
Cork - Donncha o'Connor

Lots of big names there.

Probably a few more of the fringe squad guys who might be edged out.

nrico2006

Quote from: twohands!!! on October 01, 2015, 01:53:58 PM
Just looking at some of the older players with a lot of miles on the clock some possibles that jump out

Mayo - Moran and Dillon
Tyrone - Kavanagh
Donegal - Gallagher, Toye, McFadden, McGee, Lacey and  Durcan I think is gone off/going off to the Middle East
Cork - Donncha o'Connor

Lots of big names there.

For Kerry you have Cooper, Donaghy, Darran O'Sullivan and Sheehan too.
For Donegal you could add McGlynn to the mix.
For Monaghan you could add Gollogy, Mone, Lennon, Corey and Finlay.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

The Hill is Blue

Mayo - Moran and Dillon
Tyrone - Kavanagh
Cork - Donncha o'Connor

Lots of big names there.

I'd be surprised if Bernard Brogan stepped down.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Syferus

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on October 01, 2015, 06:05:54 PM

Mayo - Moran and Dillon
Tyrone - Kavanagh
Cork - Donncha o'Connor

Lots of big names there.

From the catwalk is it,  Blue?

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Syferus on October 01, 2015, 06:59:08 PM

Mayo - Moran and Dillon
Tyrone - Kavanagh
Cork - Donncha o'Connor

Lots of big names there.

From the catwalk is it,  Blue?

Yes, from that and the Dublin team. :D
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

StephenC

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 01, 2015, 02:12:12 PM

Mayo - Moran and Dillon
Tyrone - Kavanagh
Cork - Donncha o'Connor

Lots of big names there.

Frank McGlynn has confirmed he will play next year, as has Lacey.

Schkite

Mayo - Moran and Dillon
Tyrone - Kavanagh
Cork - Donncha o'Connor

Lots of big names there.

McAdam is only 26/27!

By far the most likely retirements for Monaghan imo would be Dick, Lennon and Finlay. Dick is there a long time now, longest serving intercounty player I think so it would be no surprise. However a recent article of his in the Examiner suggested he might go one more year if I remember right, but who knows at this stage. Lennon has had awful luck with injuries the last few years, and might see this as a good time to bow out after making his return and getting another Ulster medal. Finlay is on the road a long time also, not as long as the other two but it's a long time still. His influence has been lessening the last few years aswell so it wouldn't be a huge surprise either.

I'd be shocked if Vinny or Dessie left. Both are there about the same length as Finlay but they're still hugely important members of the team. Vinny is after his best season in a long time while Dessie's form in the three years under Malachy has been the best period of his intercounty career. If either of them walked away they'd owe the county nothing and they've been great servants(that goes for all players mentioned of course), but as long as they're enjoying it I'd imagine you'll see them next year still. Gollogly is a bit more like Finlay to an extent, being used much more sparingly than other years and no longer a guaranteed starter, but he can still make a decent impact off the bench.

I think Tommy Freeman has been the only major player to retire since Malachy took over, so we're certainly due a bit of change, but sure it has to happen at some stage.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Schkite on October 01, 2015, 08:12:55 PM
McAdam is only 26/27!

By far the most likely retirements for Monaghan imo would be Dick, Lennon and Finlay. Dick is there a long time now, longest serving intercounty player I think so it would be no surprise. However a recent article of his in the Examiner suggested he might go one more year if I remember right, but who knows at this stage. Lennon has had awful luck with injuries the last few years, and might see this as a good time to bow out after making his return and getting another Ulster medal. Finlay is on the road a long time also, not as long as the other two but it's a long time still. His influence has been lessening the last few years aswell so it wouldn't be a huge surprise either.

I'd be shocked if Vinny or Dessie left. Both are there about the same length as Finlay but they're still hugely important members of the team. Vinny is after his best season in a long time while Dessie's form in the three years under Malachy has been the best period of his intercounty career. If either of them walked away they'd owe the county nothing and they've been great servants(that goes for all players mentioned of course), but as long as they're enjoying it I'd imagine you'll see them next year still. Gollogly is a bit more like Finlay to an extent, being used much more sparingly than other years and no longer a guaranteed starter, but he can still make a decent impact off the bench.

I think Tommy Freeman has been the only major player to retire since Malachy took over, so we're certainly due a bit of change, but sure it has to happen at some stage.

I though McAdam was over the 30 mark for some reason.

I didn't take too long putting the list together and as others have pointed out have missed a few other likely/possible candidates.

J70

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 01, 2015, 02:12:12 PM

Mayo - Moran and Dillon
Tyrone - Kavanagh
Cork - Donncha o'Connor

Lots of big names there.

McGlynn has a few years left in him yet, assuming the commitment is not an issue.

Syferus

It'd be more fun to try and guess the inevitable un-retirements.

Beffs

Yep. Scoring 6-20 from open play, winning another All Ireland medal, being a shoe in for another All Star award, and oh yeah.....being nominated for Footballer of the Year, are not usually considered to be good indicators of a player calling it a day.  ::)

Throw ball

Finnian Moriarity has retired from playing county football with Armagh.

tonto1888

Quote from: Syferus on October 02, 2015, 02:32:24 AM
It'd be more fun to try and guess the inevitable un-retirements.

Aaron Kernan hopefully