NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

People are reading too much into the 4 points from play, if Galway weren't as cynical we'd have gotten more from play than from frees. Galway should've had 2 black cards as well. Joyce can whinge all he wants, best team won.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

WhoDat

definitely agree on galway's cynicism. they often are very cynical and it's rarely talked about. there has always been bit of a media love in with galway football imo, lots of people romanticise them due to the 98 and 01 all irelands.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: highorlow on April 02, 2023, 07:14:50 PM
People are reading too much into the 4 points from play, if Galway weren't as cynical we'd have gotten more from play than from frees. Galway should've had 2 black cards as well. Joyce can whinge all he wants, best team won.
The way Galway defend nowadays they simply don't give up many scores from play against any team.  What matters most is getting ball into the scoring positions and if you get plenty of scores from fouls it's hugely important to have good free takers and Mayo have that with O'Donogue,Reape and indeed C O'Connor who due back next weekend.

Rossfan

Congrats to the Rhubarbs and their extended management team.
Please celebrate for the next week and no doubt ye're looking forward to batin Galway again in 3 weeks time.
On another day Galway could have scored another 3-4 or so but they didn't and such is life.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bennydorano

Quote from: highorlow on April 02, 2023, 07:14:50 PM
I can't believe people still trade in this type of stat, 99% of the time the scores have come from frees because the other team are fouling them in the scoring zone.

Maroon Manc

Poor opening 20 minutes cost Galway, far too passive and let Mayo waltz into Galway's 45 time and time again. Galway then 5 points down defended on the 45 and then Mayo really struggled breaking Galway down from then in, reckon they went over 55 minutes without kicking a score from play.

Shane Walsh kicked 2 brilliant points from play, he's not the reason Galway got beat but has been fashionable for a good few years to blame Walsh everytime Galway get beat. Galway needed that goal and created more then enough good chances but the finishing was poor but credit to Reape who was outstanding and easily the man of the match for those saves and his free taking.

AOS won 2 frees which were scored from, both exceptionally soft with O'Shea going nowhere as was the one Tommy Conroy got when he stuck his head down trying to run through Fitzgerald at 11-10. To get all 3 of those decisions is very unusual. Take a look at where O'Donoghue took his mark from, made a difficult free a gimme. Just seen the amount of steps Conroy took to get past Glynn, one bounce of the ball between 20 steps, Cawley was a joke.

Galway can't have as bad as opening 20 minutes come the championship if they've aspirations of winning it. Joyce will be relatively happy enough with the final 50 kicked some great scores, created enough goal chances albeit not taken and Mayo really struggled to break Galway down.

WhoDat

tbh for years o'shea was one of the most fouled players in intercounty football, lots of refs will let things go against a big strong man and he would nearly have to have 3 or 4 lads jumping on his back before a ref would blow the whistle. dublin used to cut lumps off him during the 6 in a row years and he rarely got anything. i was surprised he got those frees simply because he rarely gets them.

SouthDublinBro

Mayo do not miss Cillian O'Connor at all.

GalwayBayBoy

I had my doubts about his ability to play intercounty football but was impressed again for the second week in a row with John Maher today. On a sunny day in Croke Park I thought he might struggle to keep up with Ruane on that surface but if anything it was the other way around for long spells. A nice little bonus Galway have got from the latter stage of the league. And obviously with McDaid to come back too.

From the Bunker

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on April 02, 2023, 09:05:27 PM

They did for the last 5 minutes. He'd have added composure.

laoislad

Can't help but think of Farrandeelin today. He would have been delighted.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 02, 2023, 09:06:24 PM
I had my doubts about his ability to play intercounty football but was impressed again for the second week in a row with John Maher today. On a sunny day in Croke Park I thought he might struggle to keep up with Ruane on that surface but if anything it was the other way around for long spells. A nice little bonus Galway have got from the latter stage of the league. And obviously with McDaid to come back too.

A shame he wasn't given more game time earlier on in the league unless he was injured? McDaid hasn't looked like he was fit since a ball was kicked.

He's taken me by surprise the last few weeks and is definitely going to get plenty of minutes. Disappointing result today but the league has served its purpose and he's found more players then I thought they would.

From the Bunker

Quote from: laoislad on April 02, 2023, 09:38:00 PM
Can't help but think of Farrandeelin today. He would have been delighted.

He'd have been even more proud of his Clubman's  performance in goal.

thewobbler

Just the 7 points a game he's averaged for Mayo across his career.

Why would anyone miss that?

I'd guess you don't rate Harry Kane either?

WhoDat

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 02, 2023, 09:29:40 PM

They did for the last 5 minutes. He'd have added composure.

i actually thought mayo were more composed than usual closing the game out