Armagh v Cork NFL Division 1 round 1 Sunday 05-02-12

Started by Onion Bag, January 30, 2012, 10:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Bag

Any thoughts lads?

My belief is this is a big mountain to climb, we didnt really blood new players bar Mc Verry who i believe is the real deal. we are going to be without the cross contingent for at least another month. Going to take a stab at a team,

1. N Geoughan
2. A Mallon
3. B Donaghy
4. D Mc Kenna
5. P Duffy
6. K Mc Keever
7. Finn Mo
8. J Kingham
9. Mal Mackin
10. A Duffy
11. M O Rourke
12. C Vernon
13. R Raffery
14. G Swift
15. E mc Verry
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Ulick

Armagh have to be targeting all of our home games for a win in order to stay up, so I'm optimistic even if I don't have a fecking clue how they are going to do it this weekend with a relatively inexperienced team and Vernon playing at FB.

PAULD123

Armagh will have a decent shout but without Jamie Clarke and Stevie the attack will lack potency. But Armagh players are among the most committed in the country and will give their best effort. Cork are not as good as they were in 2010 and I think Armagh will run them close. Without disrespect I expect the bookies are correct and Cork deserve to be favourites, but it shouldn't be easy for them and an upset would not be a major upset if Armagh were to do it.

DuffleKing

You could be not far away with that team but i hope there would be a few differences.

I'd hope McEvoy would be in goals.
I'd hope vernon would be at mf with Mackin wing forward - a wing back could have a very handsome day on cv.
I'm assuming dyas is a available after the colleges stint and would be ahead of mo at wing nack.

Concerns:
McKenna shouldn't be played in the full back line - very short on pace for that job.
we have to have better options than Kingham in the middle? he's well short of county standard.
I don't think ryan rafferty is ready yet and we could well end up doing what we've done with grugan.
Aidan Forker is about the same age but i'd class him much further developed for county football than rafferty yet.

Onion Bag

Quote from: DuffleKing on January 30, 2012, 11:25:54 AM
You could be not far away with that team but i hope there would be a few differences.

I'd hope McEvoy would be in goals.
I'd hope vernon would be at mf with Mackin wing forward - a wing back could have a very handsome day on cv.
I'm assuming dyas is a available after the colleges stint and would be ahead of mo at wing nack.

Concerns:
McKenna shouldn't be played in the full back line - very short on pace for that job.
we have to have better options than Kingham in the middle? he's well short of county standard.
I don't think ryan rafferty is ready yet and we could well end up doing what we've done with grugan.
Aidan Forker is about the same age but i'd class him much further developed for county football than rafferty yet.

I purely picked them bunch of lads based on mc kenna cup time, Kingham had a fantastic match against st marys, ok it is a college team. but he fielded a lot of ball and he is big strong lad, which will count against a big physical cork team.
i was putting vernon there so that he will have free role to filter back and be around the middle when needed
wee rafferty looked lively on all his appearances and looks very keen although he is small and light, he can still be a handful

to be honest d mc kenna does not totally excite me, he is short of pace but he can make things awkard for boys and i think he has done enough in the mc kenna cup to warrant a start

marym

Cork have loads of injuries.   Still beat Tipp yesterday though. Kerrigan is playing well though.

whitegoodman

Is that Kingham the big brut of a lad that came on to mark Dan Gordon against Down or am thinking of someone completely different??

Whoever that lad was he didnt look anywhere near county standard that day, as big as he was.

onefaircounty

I think McKenna has done relatively well since coming in, although I do recognise that he is probably better further out the field.

Can't see is us getting within four points. If Carvill doesn't start, and I don't think he will, we'll need O'Rourke or Campbell to have their shooting boots on from free kicks, because our score to chance conversion rate will need to be high to give it a rattle.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 30, 2012, 01:16:41 PM
Is that Kingham the big brut of a lad that came on to mark Dan Gordon against Down or am thinking of someone completely different??

Whoever that lad was he didnt look anywhere near county standard that day, as big as he was.

Same fella. He was much improved against St Mary's, obviously the huge caveat is the quality of the opposition. Deserves a chance to see what he is made of.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Onion Bag

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 30, 2012, 01:35:58 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on January 30, 2012, 01:16:41 PM

Same fella. He was much improved against St Mary's, obviously the huge caveat is the quality of the opposition. Deserves a chance to see what he is made of.

i agree tac,

regal

I would expect to see something like:

1 - mcevoy
2 - mallon
3 - vernon
4 - donaghy
5 - mckenna
6 - mckeever
7 - pduffy
8 - lavery
9 - mackin
10 - aforker
11 - o'rourke or dyas
12 - aduffy
13 - campbell
14 - swift
15 - mcverry

Is mcparland ok to start? If so, he should start.

Hopefully, CV can impress at full back and some of the young lads make a good push for a championship starting place

Onion Bag

Quote from: regal on January 30, 2012, 03:27:33 PM

1 - mcevoy
2 - mallon
3 - vernon
4 - donaghy
5 - mckenna
6 - mckeever
7 - pduffy
8 - lavery
9 - mackin
10 - aforker
11 - o'rourke or dyas
12 - aduffy
13 - campbell
14 - swift
15 - mcverry

Hopefully, CV can impress at full back and some of the young lads make a good push for a championship starting place

i hate this idea of CV in full back, we tried it for 3 matches in the mc kenna cup and it didnt work, he is far better suited round the middle of th pitch running at players

Keane

Who are the Crossmaglen players that Armagh will be missing that would otherwise start?

regal

Quote from: Onion Bag on January 30, 2012, 03:34:05 PM
Quote from: regal on January 30, 2012, 03:27:33 PM

1 - mcevoy
2 - mallon
3 - vernon
4 - donaghy
5 - mckenna
6 - mckeever
7 - pduffy
8 - lavery
9 - mackin
10 - aforker
11 - o'rourke or dyas
12 - aduffy
13 - campbell
14 - swift
15 - mcverry

i hate this idea of CV in full back, we tried it for 3 matches in the mc kenna cup and it didnt work, he is far better suited round the middle of th pitch running at players

But Charlie has been playing around MF / half forwards since 2008 and has proved too inconsistant to nail down a position. Barring a couple of stand out performances, he has been disappointing (he is not alone here). When he runs at players he generally loses possession or falls which isn't acceptable at this level. A lot of his attributes are qualities you would look for in a defender, strength, pace for example. I just think it might be worthwhile playing him in defense to see how he copes against the likes of cork & kerry.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Keane on January 30, 2012, 04:32:31 PM
Who are the Crossmaglen players that Armagh will be missing that would otherwise start?

Paul Hearty has played most of Armagh matches in goal for the past decade while Aaron Kernan and Jamie Clarke are certain starters. Then there are another half dozen players who would be on the fringes of the team and may well be capable of forcing themselves into contention for a starting place were their intercounty seasons not consistently hampered by club duty.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead