Is it too late to change???

Started by Man of Kent, February 16, 2012, 10:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man of Kent

So Kildare are zip from two and yet to score a goal! Yet still 4th favorites for the All-Ireland.

Got to see the Tyrone match and thought Kildare were in control for much of the first period. Tyrone clearly upped the tempo in the second half and Kildare didn't seem to have another gear.

Didn't see the the Monaghan game but a five point defeat seems fairly convincing.................guess the half time sending off didn't help!

Is it time to panic yet?

Hopefully off to Ruislip on Sunday for the Fermanagh game now the snow has cleared..............more pain no doubt.

Man of Kent

60 views and not one response...........I'll keep quite in future!!

Jinxy

You're stuck with them for life unfortunately.
This is the beauty of the GAA.
I did warn you though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Man of Kent

I agree 100%. Once you buy ticket you're committed. 

Captain Obvious

Zulu

I don't understand why Kildare can't seem to get out of division 2 but I still think they'll be formidable in the championship. Their lack of forwards means they unfortunately can't win the all Ireland but I would say a semi final spot is realistic.

Ard-Rí

It's too early to condemn them yet.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Syferus

Kildare have never really been a force in the league so it'd be stupid to worry about a couple of losses. It's clear McGeeney's goal is for the team to train hard through the early parts of seasons and be able to out-last opponents come the championship. It's worked pretty successfully for them for a good number of years now and I doubt they seem much need to change tact.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Zulu on February 17, 2012, 12:49:03 AM
I don't understand why Kildare can't seem to get out of division 2 but I still think they'll be formidable in the championship. Their lack of forwards means they unfortunately can't win the all Ireland but I would say a semi final spot is realistic.

Our team selection in the league over the past few years suggests that our management aren't really that bothered by it. Don't agree with the approach myself but what can we do.

We have plenty of forwards. We just play them in the half-back line and at midfield for some reason. Seánie Johnston won't hang around Straffan long when he finds out McGeeney wants to play him centre-back!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hardy

Quote from: Man of Kent on February 16, 2012, 10:48:09 PMSo Kildare are zip from two and yet to score a goal! Yet still 4th favorites for the All-Ireland. Got to see the Tyrone match and thought Kildare were in control for much of the first period. Tyrone clearly upped the tempo in the second half and Kildare didn't seem to have another gear. Didn't see the the Monaghan game but a five point defeat seems fairly convincing.................guess the half time sending off didn't help! Is it time to panic yet? Hopefully off to Ruislip on Sunday for the Fermanagh game now the snow has cleared..............more pain no doubt.

MOK, here is today's lesson in your continuing education in GAA matters* and popular wisdom:
Learn the following phrase: "It's only the league".

* When you have attained the appropriate level you will be taught that the correct phrase is "GAA circumstances", as in the famous quote "It's definitely, probably the, one of the greatest days in Aherlow, in GAA circumstances."

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 17, 2012, 10:51:19 AM

Our team selection in the league over the past few years suggests that our management aren't really that bothered by it. Don't agree with the approach myself but what can we do.

We have plenty of forwards. We just play them in the half-back line and at midfield for some reason. Seánie Johnston won't hang around Straffan long when he finds out McGeeney wants to play him centre-back!

Have accepted this reluctantly but don't like it...
#newbridgeornowhere

Zulu

I don't know how you can say you've got the forwards, where they're played is another matter, but Kildare definitely don't have a top notch forward line. They've a very good team with some good forwards but outside of Doyle nobody has proved to be a regular top level scoring forward.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Zulu on February 17, 2012, 02:24:09 PM

I don't know how you can say you've got the forwards, where they're played is another matter, but Kildare definitely don't have a top notch forward line. They've a very good team with some good forwards but outside of Doyle nobody has proved to be a regular top level scoring forward.

We don't have a real top finisher apart from Johnny but we persist in playing lads out of position and as a result our forward line is quite unbalanced. Eoghan O'Flaherty has potential but McGeeney now sees fit to play him in the half-back line. I personally think O'Connor should be used more as a plan b but if he is to start then Johnny should be parked next to him and told not to stray outside the 45. This craic of him playing out the field is killing any slim chance we have of competing with the top teams. Both Kavanagh and Smith are more than capable but their confidence appears to be shot. Conway's return is a definite positive but we're still no nearer to a settled forward line. That is our problem at the moment.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

thejuice

I think Kildare fans are quite lucky (in one sense anyway), they sell white cotton t-shirts in packs of 3 in Dunnes and there you have their next 3  jerseys bought already.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016