RIP Kieran "Jap" Finlay

Started by Louth Exile, February 14, 2012, 10:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louth Exile

Quote from: lawnseed on February 14, 2012, 09:27:30 PM
Quote from: thebandit on February 14, 2012, 09:11:54 PM
Kieran 'Jap' Finlay, former Monaghan GAA star and Father of current Monaghan player Paul died today after an illness.

He was a stylish forward in same mould as his son. In 1979 the Monaghan team won the Ulster championship for the first time in 41 years with a defeat of Donegal. In the final Kieran Finlay scored 1-09, which was a record in an Ulster final for 20 years.

Paul's man of the match performance on Sunday was one any father would be proud of. RIP Jap.

nice respectful post. RIP

Quote from: Louth Exile on February 14, 2012, 09:50:17 PM
A great family man who gave them great support and was an inspiration for Paul. Never smoked and was mindful of his diet, fought the good fight but went before his time. A good guy, who loved a song and was fond of a game of golf. I sincerely don't think anyone was expecting him to go so quickly.

His performance in the 79 Ulster final was his crowning glory and something I know he was very proud of. A performance that puts him in the company of Frank Mc Guigan and Oisin Mc Conville, nothing shabby about that now!

My deepest sympathy to all the Finlay family. RIP Kieran "Jap" Finlay
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Main Street

Very sad to hear of Kieran's sudden death
Kieran was simply an inspiration in his community. He carried on that sporting excellence, his driving sense of perfection, from the field to his post-playing years. Amongst many things, he played a big part in the construction of the Ballybay GAA club facilities completed a few years ago. What was notable was not just that that construction was completed but the attention to detail was one of his hallmark contributions.
He was immensly proud of his son Paul's prowess on the field.
If you made a positive comment to him about what Paul had done in particular in a game, on meeting him again 2 years later he would remember exactly what you remarked upon 2 years previously. I hadn't thought much about it until I visibly saw how such a comment   was imprinted on his psyche.
One of Ballybay's finest characters, he will be sorely missed.

The Subbie

Definitely Main Street, Jap was as nice a fella as you would meet at club and county matches.
Condolences to the family and wider circle of friends and club mates .

AZOffaly

camanchero

Quote from: Main Street on February 15, 2012, 01:46:01 AM
Very sad to hear of Kieran's sudden death
Kieran was simply an inspiration in his community. He carried on that sporting excellence, his driving sense of perfection, from the field to his post-playing years. Amongst many things, he played a big part in the construction of the Ballybay GAA club facilities completed a few years ago. What was notable was not just that that construction was completed but the attention to detail was one of his hallmark contributions.
He was immensly proud of his son Paul's prowess on the field.
If you made a positive comment to him about what Paul had done in particular in a game, on meeting him again 2 years later he would remember exactly what you remarked upon 2 years previously. I hadn't thought much about it until I visibly saw how such a comment   was imprinted on his psyche.
One of Ballybay's finest characters, he will be sorely missed.
RIP , Deepest sympathies and condolences to all of his family and friends.