Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

greenlight

The last three Derry managers have tried to make a stand by dropping their undoubted best player from the panel not long after joining:
McIvor - Paddy Bradley
Barton - Eoin Bradley
McErlain - Danny Heavron

And let's remember how well it went for those first two...? Both men got Derry relegated (from different leagues!) and failed to make any impact on either the Ulster Championship or qualifier. McErlain looks like he's following a similar path. Depressing.

oakleaflad

Yeah just had a look at the account that posted that and I'd probably agree. Not really fair on the player.

honthecounty

any news of when the club fixtures are out and what is happening with the district competitions this season? have heard that they are not happening and there is no competitive games until first league game which is a long stretch for teams that have been training for past few weeks.

toby47

Quote from: honthecounty on January 31, 2018, 02:04:05 PM
any news of when the club fixtures are out and what is happening with the district competitions this season? have heard that they are not happening and there is no competitive games until first league game which is a long stretch for teams that have been training for past few weeks.

First league game is set to be Wednesday 4th April.

JoG2

Quote from: cornerback on January 31, 2018, 12:54:16 PM
I would generally take a tweet from an anonymous person with a pinch of salt

Maybe stick to your principles and take that post down.

cornerback

Fair enough - removed.

I'm not entirely sure what line I crossed given the criticism handed out here daily.

restorepride

Quote from: cornerback on January 31, 2018, 04:51:31 PM
Fair enough - removed.

I'm not entirely sure what line I crossed given the criticism handed out here daily.
Since you are a cornerback, any chance it was the 21 yard line?!!

Uncle Phil

Quote from: cornerback on January 31, 2018, 04:51:31 PM
Fair enough - removed.

I thought this board was democratic lads? Freedom of speech and all that.

Perhaps a bit harsh on Danny of course, but cornerback didn't need to remove the post.

It wasn't that controversial, and he was providing juicy gossip on the matter at hand, even if it turns out to be bullsh*t.

cuyahoga

<lenny
View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Derry Club Football & Hurling
« Reply #679 on: January 31, 2018, 07:08:55 AM »
Quote from: cuyahoga on January 31, 2018, 12:13:15 AM
As far as I have seen, for a number of years, not many players from Derry clubs have been comfortable playing for the county team. Eamonn Coleman RIP is no longer with us and the odd one or two other highly respected managers, who could do an excellent job, despair at the apathy in many quarters. Why would they put their good reputations on the line to resurrect an indifferent Derry Football County Board and public. Does anyone seriously think that the return of the Slaughtneil contingent will greatly enhance the fortunes of the Derry county team when they join up with an underage manager after spending nearly their last 3 or 4 years with one of the most undoubtedly respected managers in Ireland. What did the Crossmaglen players ever contribute to Armagh (or manager)  when their marathon stint in All Ireland Club Football Championships came to an end? Also, don't forget, these same Slaughtneil players have been living like Cistercians for such a long time and playing All Ireland Club (and county) hurling as well. Can you imagine the outcry if one of them had an average game for the county team? If any players need a rest, they do.

I think oisin mcconville, the mcentees and francie bellew, aaron kernen contributed quite a lot to armagh. They won an all ireland and a few ulsters. You should have a wee think before you type.>

The point I was trying to get across was that, the more successful the Crossmaglen team became, the harder their players found
it to devote, what energy they had left, to the county team.

imtommygunn

They won the ai club before armagh won the ai did they not? Armagh may have been a good example 2 or 3 years ago but not that batch of guys.

Real Talk

Has the Derry manager any different player options for the Longford game?

I know that B Heron and Terence O'Brien didn't play the last day.  Would like to see Jordan Curran get a start he has lots of ability and a good engine - what do youses boys think !

restorepride

Quote from: Real Talk on February 02, 2018, 03:26:30 PM
Has the Derry manager any different player options for the Longford game?

I know that B Heron and Terence O'Brien didn't play the last day.  Would like to see Jordan Curran get a start he has lots of ability and a good engine - what do youses boys think !
He did get starts in the McKenna cup. I felt he struggled but then again the senior intercounty game has a very sharp learning curve.

greenlight

A dark dark day in the history of Derry football.

restorepride

Quote from: greenlight on February 04, 2018, 03:45:33 PM
A dark dark day in the history of Derry football.
Hardly.  Were you expecting a win?

JoG2

Christ on a stick but that's as grim a Derry performance as I've seen.
Young Hartin and McGrogan equitted themselves rightly for men coming into the fray. McFaul showed great heart and Lynn was again our main man, we'd be even more bucked without that man.
Wiped out in Midfield. Couldn't make the ball stick up front, tried about 5 different men on the edge of the square. Too many men playing with fear, take the easy lateral, backward pass time and time again. Barre 10 mins at the start of the 2nd half it was like a hot knife through butter, Quinn (who had a right ding dong with Lynn in stages)  beat maybe 5 men to score their goal. From a div 1 final to bottom of the 3rd div in 4 years.
Utterly depressing stuff