Mayo v Galway, 18/06/16, McHale Park

Started by Duine Eile, May 29, 2016, 10:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 19, 2016, 07:10:18 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 19, 2016, 07:04:34 PM
Easy to kick the poor Rhus now they're down but if they didn't have so much success we wouldn't be taking so much enjoyment out of them losing. I cringe at the thoughts of what this board would have been saying about the Earley 4-in-a-row team back in 1981 when they finally lost their crown. History was kind to that team and it probably will be to this Mayo team too.

From what my dad says that was a very unlucky Ros team. Hard to know how history will judge this Mayo team. Because it's a Mayo team, however - I'm not sure 'kind' will be bandied about.

That Roscommon team were unlucky to be around when both Dublin and especially Kerry had (not good but) great teams.

As for Mayo, stall on with all the obituaries, we lost one game. We are still in it! On the law of averages we had to lose one game in 8 years to a proud football county like Galway!

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 19, 2016, 09:39:58 PM
Easy to kick the poor Rhus now they're down but if they didn't have so much success we wouldn't be taking so much enjoyment out of them losing. I cringe at the thoughts of what this board would have been saying about the Earley 4-in-a-row team back in 1981 when they finally lost their crown. History was kind to that team and it probably will be to this Mayo team too.

From what my dad says that was a very unlucky Ros team. Hard to know how history will judge this Mayo team. Because it's a Mayo team, however - I'm not sure 'kind' will be bandied about.

That Roscommon team were unlucky to be around when both Dublin and especially Kerry had (not good but) great teams.

As for Mayo stall on with all the obituaries, we lost one game. We are still in it! On the law of averages we had to lose one game in 8 years to a proud football county like Galway!
the gap was coming down every year and anyway the qualifiers favour the big teams.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on June 19, 2016, 09:45:19 PM

As for Mayo stall on with all the obituaries, we lost one game. We are still in it! On the law of averages we had to lose one game in 8 years to a proud football county like Galway!
the gap was coming down every year and anyway the qualifiers favour the big teams.

As a Galway fan you'd be hoping Galway were moving up closing the gap rather than Mayo coming down. It's of no benefit in the scheme of things Galway finally beating Mayo if mayo are still not a force and Galway heading out of Connacht for a hiding. One sparrow does not make a summer, but it can be the sign of the start of summer.

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on June 19, 2016, 09:14:07 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 19, 2016, 03:13:44 PM

Well done to Galway posters on here. Their team showed great resolve and hunger. Won comfortably in the end.

I wouldn t mind losing too much but the lack of urgency and game management in last quarter was worrying and unacceptable from a team of this experience. Remember this is the same team that took the fight to Kerry with 14 men 2 years ago.
Against a young team yesterday and playing at home they should have been knocking down the doors yesterday in last 20 mins and Galway should have had their backs to the wall. But they were easily able to keep clear. Similar scenarios developed in league games when even a few points lead against us never looked like being clawed back.

The usual old chestnuts will be thrown out but this game was lost from back to front literally. Yesterday was a system failure and everybody involved needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Yesterday I thought our setup for far too 'clever', experimental and complicated. Inevitably it was poorly executed. When players started to play their natural strengths just before half time we looked like we could boss the game.
I m not optimistic about the qualifiers but you never know. If they have any temper left there has to be a backlash. Changes are needed in approach - we need to go back more to running game- and there is at least one glaring change needed in personnel. Individually a good few Mayo lads played quite well.

When you win an AI U21 Title. You need to play them.

Simple as.

The ones that were able for it and fit were playing. It was those lads that dragged a limited enough U21 side to the title. We won t be getting many more seniors out of that side.

maigheo

Really looking forward to reading Martin Brehony s insightful colum in tomorrows Sindo.Probably has it written since last october.

joemamas

Totally agree on u21's, bigger issue is lack of forward coaching over last five years to seven years, incredible to think we have maybe one forward who has progress from minor level to senior, truly pathetic. I would love to know who has that detail, as I feel they have failed miserably

This group of seniors owe nothing to Mayo fans they have been incredible.
The BS about H and C from last year is nonsense, Anybody who thinks differently should look at Peter Canavans analysis yesterday on Mayo V Dublin last year.

Having said that Mayo looked listless after ten minutes and it did not change much for hour and ten minutes.

Best to forget it, I also fear for the back door, we may win a game and then mail it in just like a tired Donegal did in 2013

INDIANA

Quote from: moysider on June 19, 2016, 10:01:35 PM

Well done to Galway posters on here. Their team showed great resolve and hunger. Won comfortably in the end.

I wouldn t mind losing too much but the lack of urgency and game management in last quarter was worrying and unacceptable from a team of this experience. Remember this is the same team that took the fight to Kerry with 14 men 2 years ago.
Against a young team yesterday and playing at home they should have been knocking down the doors yesterday in last 20 mins and Galway should have had their backs to the wall. But they were easily able to keep clear. Similar scenarios developed in league games when even a few points lead against us never looked like being clawed back.

The usual old chestnuts will be thrown out but this game was lost from back to front literally. Yesterday was a system failure and everybody involved needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Yesterday I thought our setup for far too 'clever', experimental and complicated. Inevitably it was poorly executed. When players started to play their natural strengths just before half time we looked like we could boss the game.
I m not optimistic about the qualifiers but you never know. If they have any temper left there has to be a backlash. Changes are needed in approach - we need to go back more to running game- and there is at least one glaring change needed in personnel. Individually a good few Mayo lads played quite well.

Simple as.

The ones that were able for it and fit were playing. It was those lads that dragged a limited enough U21 side to the title. We won t be getting many more seniors out of that side.

They didn't start DOC - bizarre stuff. Loftus as well. You're going back to players who were never good enough to begin with.

These guys migth be good enough.

maigheo

D.O connor had his first full training session last tuesday in 4 weeks and Loftus pulled a hamstring against London so was unfit to play but carry on and don't let any facts get in the way of your postings

Cunny Funt

Quote from: INDIANA on June 19, 2016, 10:37:39 PM

Simple as.

They didn't start DOC - bizarre stuff. Loftus as well. You're going back to players who were never good enough to begin with.

DOC wasn't fit to start. Loftus got a hamstring injury v London.

From the Bunker

Simple as.

DOC is coming back from injury. Had his first full training session on Tuesday. If he started last night in wet conditions and got injured, we'd all be saying jez that was silly!

moysider

Simple as.

O Connor would be one of first name on team sheet but was injured. In hindsight maybe he could have been started. Loftus also injured and not sure he's ready yet anyway.

Mayo had 4 new starters in that side yesterday and they did decent. Meanwhile one of the older players (Boyle) was easily our best player on the night. It's the sum of the parts that didn t add up.

I could see what the management had in mind tactically but it failed miserably. McLoughlin should never have been taken out of hf line. For years some of us wanted Higgins taken out of corner and played in hb line but at one stage in first half he was playing back to goal as one of the inside 3!!. Think management might have been trying to be a bit too clever. Reverse the Higgins and McLoughlin roles and we might have been onto something. I d be amazed if that is not how we go next day out. Also showed Galway too much respect from start by not pressing up on their kick-outs and making them kick long.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: joemamas on June 19, 2016, 10:36:55 PM
Totally agree on u21's, bigger issue is lack of forward coaching over last five years to seven years, incredible to think we have maybe one forward who has progress from minor level to senior, truly pathetic. I would love to know who has that detail, as I feel they have failed miserably

The BS about H and C from last year is nonsense, Anybody who thinks differently should look at Peter Canavans analysis yesterday on Mayo V Dublin last year.

Having said that Mayo looked listless after ten minutes and it did not change much for hour and ten minutes.

Best to forget it, I also fear for the back door, we may win a game and then mail it in just like a tired Donegal did in 2013
Where did he write that? There's been enough hot air generated by the likes of Eugene McGee and Colm O'Rourke and their ilk about the removal of H&C and the effrontery of the players involved, to power Sellafield for a week. Chancers without a clue of what went on and were too lazy to go and find out.
I'd love find out what Peter the Great had to say on the subject. As an analyst, he's miles in front of the gobdaws I've mentioned.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 19, 2016, 11:03:09 PM

Where did he write that? There's been enough hot air generated by the likes of Eugene McGee and Colm O'Rourke and their ilk about the removal of H&C and the effrontery of the players involved, to power Sellafield for a week. Chancers without a clue of what went on and were too lazy to go and find out.
I'd love find out what Peter the Great had to say on the subject. As an analyst, he's miles in front of the gobdaws I've mentioned.
good luck with the tour of Ireland

I hope ye met Longford or Westmeath.

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 19, 2016, 11:03:09 PM

All goes back to Autumn 2014 when Paddy Mac and a few other officers of the board, who had the responsibility for the future of a damn good senior team in their hands after James Horan left. They acted with a duplicity that would have put medieval cardinals in conclave to shame.
As a result we ve ended up with managers that got the gig by default. It's been damaging. Hopefully Rochford can recover from yesterday's nightmare ( it was a nightmare; I wouldn't like to have to stand over yesterdays effort).

vallankumous

As for Mayo, stall on with all the obituaries, we lost one game. We are still in it! On the law of averages we had to lose one game in 8 years to a proud football county like Galway!

That's part of Mao's problem, they think medals should be handed out in turn.