Mayo v Galway, 18/06/16, McHale Park

Started by Duine Eile, May 29, 2016, 10:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 14, 2016, 10:56:48 PM
Yeah, we have no end of decent half backs - Vaughan, Nally, Coen, Hall, Drake. I think Vaughan could still do a job for us this year, he has serious athleticism if you could find the best way to make use of him

Of those, in time I think Hall will probably make it and Coen will definitely make it somewhere on the team. A fit Vaughan should start somewhere but I personally don't think the others are an improvement on what we have and I think they are older than the rest if my memory serves me right.
MWWSI 2017

galwayman

Galway team named.
1. Bernard Power
2. Eoghan Kerin
3. Declan Kyne
4. David Wynne
5. Liam Silke
6. Gary O Donnell
7. Gareth Bradshaw
8. Paul Conroy
9 Thomas Flynn
10. Gary Sice
11. Shane Walsh
12. Johnny Heaney
13. Eamonn Brannigan
14. Damien Comer
15. Danny Cummins

Fullback line is our weakest unit. Mayo could do serious damage in there if they play early ball in.
Dec Kyne while an honest player isn't county senior standard and is there for the taking. I would seriously worry for us here.
Eoghan Kerin also not quite up to senior level. He's too small and light in my opinion for the fb line on a senior county team.

Am a little surprised to see Johnny Heaney named in the forwards but I am guessing he will drop back deep.He's a quality player from what I have seen of him.
Who is likely to be centre forward for Mayo?
Gary O Donnell struggles against mobile pacy forwards.

We will need a huge performance from our defence on Sat and Shane Walsh, Comer & Cummins will need to step up to the plate for us.

Duine Eile

Had heard rumours about Power starting in goal, interesting development, hes sub goalie for Corofin seniors but a lot of people within the club believe he's a better goalie than Tom Healy. He performed fairly well for the Galway juniors I believe, best of luck to him. I share your concern about the FB line galwayman, the 2 lads in the corners aren't bad but they're very inexperienced, they're in for a baptism of fire Saturday. Declan Kyne at no 3 worries me, don't think he's the answer to our problems there but I'll wait until after Saturday to make judgement. Good to see Bradshaw back in the HB line, Tom Flynn needs to step up his game now, he was very quiet throughout most of the league, he won't get away with that Saturday. I thought Adrian Varley would start before Danny but we must be going for quick ball into Comer with Brannigan and Danny playing off him. Looking forward to seeing how Shane Walsh performs, we missed him badly last year.

Maroon Manc

So our GK is making his debut and our fullback line all appear in the championship for the 1st time, its a lot to ask especially although if AOS starts at full forward I'll be worried.

There is certainly no shortage of pace in the team and I do think our forwards will give Mayo problems, I'm sure we'll drop plenty of players inside our own half and I'd like to think we'll attack with more purpose and quicker when we make turnovers then we were doing in the league. I just hope we can produce a performance that can give us a bit of hope for the rest of the summer.

Rossfan

Would be some craic if the Herrins win this ;D

Then I realise the Final would be in Salthill..... :(

Maybe Nowlan Park could be available.
Hard to see anything other than a Rhubarb win by about 5 points.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rosnarun

Quote from: Rossfan on June 15, 2016, 11:21:27 AM

i dont think many in mayo are even contemplating defeat . i have never know such an air of confidence going into a match against galway
which has me vry worried . a small drop off in performance and we could well lose ,
Its rochfords biggest test yet can he mentally prepare a bunch of guys who expect success at his level esp if galway play to their maximum ability and keep it close from beginning to end
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on June 15, 2016, 12:14:41 PM

i dont think many in mayo are even contemplating defeat . i have never know such an air of confidence going into a match against galway
which has me vry worried . a small drop off in performance and we could well lose ,
Its rochfords biggest test yet can he mentally prepare a bunch of guys who expect success at his level esp if galway play to their maximum ability and keep it close from beginning to end

It'd be the thing Mayo would do, lose the match and send us off to Hell aka Salthill for the Connacht Final.

joemamas

I think the only people who are that over confident are the loons from Hogan stand, that have unfortunately infiltrated Mayogaablog. Lets look at the facts for a minute.

Mayo are potentially missing, Cafferkey, Barrett, SOS, Parsons, B Moran, DOC and Loftus. Throw in COC who has not played an intercounty game in ten months, and the fact that A Moran and A Dillon are 30+ and cannot be expected to win games anymore, then reality may set in. The last time, Mayo played a real championship game without those three midfielders, was the last twenty minutes V Dublin in the replay, that was not pretty.

Fortunately, Galway do seem to be somewhat in disarray, with all the defections, and their Midfield unless it has improved dramatically from the last time I saw them in the flesh V Donegal in the 2015 qualifiers, will not dominate Mayo.

At the end of the day it is 15 v 15, Galway V a much weakened Mayo team, that do not score freely on a good day.

Hoping mayo win by two or three and get injuries cleared up for Connacht final.

Farrandeelin

True that ros, this 'all Ireland final' talk has me worried too. I'll wait until I see Mayo's team before I make judgement, with the supposed injuries we have. I've said before on this forum that Mayo's weakness is that we still can't put teams away. Even in the games in the league that we won, there was a sense that the other team could have snatched it. Despite beating Roscommon in all the physical stakes and battles that day, we had a bucketload of missed chances that day too I recall. If Mayo perform to their capabilities, (which hasn't been since last August remember, and performances can be hard to turn on and off) they'll win. If not then it'll be closer than many expect.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

I wouldn't rule out the Galway forwards scoring 3 goals and beating Mayo in a classic. Mayo have been on the go since 2011. Galway have more all Ireland winners. Sad to say.

GalwayBayBoy

Any reason the team was released today? Wasn't expecting it until Friday evening.

Crete Boom

Quote from: seafoid on June 15, 2016, 01:45:43 PM
I wouldn't rule out the Galway forwards scoring 3 goals and beating Mayo in a classic. Mayo have been on the go since 2011. Galway have more all Ireland winners. Sad to say.

Why is Kevin Walsh going picking himself to start in the middle or since he is getting on a bit  , on the edge of the square to test the Mayo fullback line??? :o Please don't tell me Ja , Donnellan and Joyce are back in the squad!!!!! :'(After the game ,  win , lose or draw surely you will have to rustle up a few more why o why do Galway win more All Irelands than Mayo threads  ;D!!!)

Being serious if Galway can hold on for 50 mins in and around the middle , play a full time sweeper in front of their fullback and get early ball into Walsh and Comer , it will keep them close going down the stretch.
A lot of ifs in that for Galway though and having not seen them in action much this year I haven't a clue if they have improved on last year or regressed because their results in the league were too up and down to guess.
Having watched the Cavan game though they would need to up it a good bit if they want to beat Mayo.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: seafoid on June 15, 2016, 01:45:43 PM

I would rule it out anyway. Galway may put up a decent score at one end but I can't see them not conceding a lot at the back. That is a very inexperienced full-back line and keeper. At least in terms of playing together and at this level. You would think Mayo could easily get 3+ goals on Saturday.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 15, 2016, 02:19:43 PM
Any reason the team was released today? Wasn't expecting it until Friday evening.

Game is a day earlier then normal or KW is playing mind games and will make several changes from that team?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 15, 2016, 02:23:14 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 15, 2016, 02:19:43 PM

Game is a day earlier then normal or KW is playing mind games and will make several changes from that team?

Forgot it was a Saturday game there for a minute.