Mayo v Galway, 18/06/16, McHale Park

Started by Duine Eile, May 29, 2016, 10:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Cafferkey seems unlikely to make it as well. Seamie Bear a big doubt.

larryin89

We will give the dans an awful pastin sat night.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Maroon Manc

Quote from: larryin89 on June 14, 2016, 12:59:38 AM

One day larry I'll look forward to walking into duffy's with a big grin on my face, unfortunately we'll be old men at this rate.

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 14, 2016, 12:53:10 PM

One day larry I'll look forward to walking into duffy's with a big grin on my face, unfortunately we'll be old men at this rate.

I don't know what the frig a supermarket in County Roscommon has to do with Mayo and Galway.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Syferus on June 14, 2016, 12:54:42 PM

I don't know what the frig a supermarket in County Roscommon has to do with Mayo and Galway.
Or a circus, which might be more appropriate for you.

Syferus

Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 14, 2016, 12:57:29 PM

Better than Round 2 of the Quailifers with Cowboy Carrew in fairness.

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on June 14, 2016, 01:17:51 PM

He was clearly talking about a pub in Kilmovee. Supervalu has not been Duffy's since it was small shop on Main Street, well over twenty or thirty years ago. Why pollute their thread with such nonsense. For a people with a glorious history, there's too much juvenile nonsense in the Connacht threads. Let's keep it football.

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on June 14, 2016, 02:08:35 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 14, 2016, 01:17:51 PM

He was clearly talking about a pub in Kilmovee. Supervalu has not been Duffy's since it was small shop on Main Street, well over twenty or thirty years ago. Why pollute their thread with such nonsense. For a people with a glorious history, there's too much juvenile nonsense in the Connacht threads. Let's keep it football.

Tis Duffys to just about anyone who goes and it's still on the sign. John's fecking mug is all over the carpark to boot.

I'd wager I know Kilmovee better than most so maybe you've guessed by now that my wilful misreading went well over your head.

Maroon Manc

I'd like to think now that KW is 12 months further down the line that we'd have a better plan in place on our own kickouts and on Mayo's but i've seen nothing since to suggest there will be any improvement. There was an overall improvement 12 months ago and it wasn't as comfortable for Mayo as it was in 2013 & 2014.

The issue at fullback is still there although I don't think Hanley is near as bad as some make out, at times he was left far too exposed and the bad positioning of the spare man at the back has cost us like Donegal's first goal last year.

I just think we'll struggle to match last years result and be relatively close to Mayo, all the evidence points towards a more comfortable victory as we've not improved where we needed too. In both games we were beaten last year we didn't take advantage when we had a bit of impetus, we simply don't have the forwards to take advantage although I hope I'm proved wrong with the addition of Shane Walsh & Brannigan.  I'm just hoping some of the new players give a good account of themselves and give us a bit of hope for the future.

cornetto

I know the league is one thing ,but let's not forget an already relegated down pushed mayo to 3pts.galway were within a kick of a ball being promoted mayo a kick of the ball from being relegated.I don't think the gap is as big as people are saying.in saying that I do expect a mayo win,but I do expect a formidable challenge from galway.no more than ross/sligo last year no one saw that sligo win coming.just a thought!!

Syferus

Quote from: cornetto on June 14, 2016, 04:51:03 PM
I know the league is one thing ,but let's not forget an already relegated down pushed mayo to 3pts.galway were within a kick of a ball being promoted mayo a kick of the ball from being relegated.I don't think the gap is as big as people are saying.in saying that I do expect a mayo win,but I do expect a formidable challenge from galway.no more than ross/sligo last year no one saw that sligo win coming.just a thought!!

Some kick of a ball to be worth five points. Galway won two of seven matches in the second tier.

macdanger2

Looking forward to this, hopefully it'll be a decent game. Realistically Mayo should win, galway seem not to have improved while we don't seem to be disimproved. With it being Galway, you'd expect that there won't be any complacency on our side though. Missing a good few starters by the sounds of it - DOC, SOS, Parsons, Caff, Barrett anyway. The loss of the last two means our FB line could be vulnerable enough, Comer did well against us last year from what I remember.

If those 5 are all that's missing, I'd say 13 starting berths are nailed on, possible changes in MF (Moran or Coen?) and corner forward (COS or Loftus or AN other?)

You'd hope to see development of our defensive and particularly attacking systems - I always think our forwards seem to play as individuals rather than as a unit which is enough against weaker teams but not against the top teams
Mayo by 3+

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 14, 2016, 10:28:04 PM
Looking forward to this, hopefully it'll be a decent game. Realistically Mayo should win, galway seem not to have improved while we don't seem to be disimproved. With it being Galway, you'd expect that there won't be any complacency on our side though. Missing a good few starters by the sounds of it - DOC, SOS, Parsons, Caff, Barrett anyway. The loss of the last two means our FB line could be vulnerable enough, Comer did well against us last year from what I remember.

If those 5 are all that's missing, I'd say 13 starting berths are nailed on, possible changes in MF (Moran or Coen?) and corner forward (COS or Loftus or AN other?)

You'd hope to see development of our defensive and particularly attacking systems - I always think our forwards seem to play as individuals rather than as a unit which is enough against weaker teams but not against the top teams
Mayo by 3+

With Barrett and Caff injured and Cunniffe on a sabbatical, we are missing a lot of our FB line's experienced campaigners. Higgins will have to start there as a result. Keane is experienced and a very good footballer with a couple of bad days hopefully well behind him while Harrison deserves his shot. But who is cover for Keane? Or for Higgins? I wish Cunniffe was sitting on the bench tbh.

The next line looks like a cracker though with Boyle flanked by the flying feet of Keegan and Durcan. I just hope they get to play to their strengths.
MWWSI 2017

macdanger2

Yeah, we have no end of decent half backs - Vaughan, Nally, Coen, Hall, Drake. I think Vaughan could still do a job for us this year, he has serious athleticism if you could find the best way to make use of him

Lar Naparka

Quote from: muppet on June 14, 2016, 10:40:56 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 14, 2016, 10:28:04 PM

Mayo by 3+

With Barrett and Caff injured and Cunniffe on a sabbatical, we are missing a lot of our FB line's experienced campaigners. Higgins will have to start there as a result. Keane is experienced and a very good footballer with a couple of bad days hopefully well behind him while Harrison deserves his shot. But who is cover for Keane? Or for Higgins? I wish Cunniffe was sitting on the bench tbh.

The next line looks like a cracker though with Boyle flanked by the flying feet of Keegan and Durcan. I just hope they get to play to their strengths.
Has the team been announced or are you going by what you expect to see?
If Keane does play at FB, I think he would be sound in every way bar the most important asset of the lot and that's pace.
He might be able to cope and indeed excel on wet, heavy pitches but if the going is firm and the weather is fine on Saturday, I could see him on trouble against the likes of Comer.
I know Andy has said there'd be a full strength panel to select from but it's hard to see this happening.  Probably won't know for sure who is going to play where until the times lines out. Rochford should keep the hoors guessing in other words. I expect to win okay but with Galway, I won't be happy until the ref blows the long whistle.
They broke my heart too many times to take anything for granted.  :(
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi