Mayo v Galway, 18/06/16, McHale Park

Started by Duine Eile, May 29, 2016, 10:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

The mind of a Ros man in the body of a Mayo man.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ZeitChrist

This might be competitive for the first half, but I fully expect Mayo will up the ante when they need to and get the job done handily enough.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on May 30, 2016, 03:30:47 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 30, 2016, 02:30:54 PM
Could Regan be the missing link?
Liked the look of him before he got injured a while back.

Ros blood in him too Jinxy. Good shout.
Bedad, syf you'd better stop worrying about effin' Ballagh and all that goes with it. Relax, chill out; smell the bees and listen to the flowers as you go through life and cast your worries aside as they will only drag you down.
(Mind you, I'm not sure that I got the above sentence right but you should know what I mean as you come out with  at least as much crap as I do.
Lookit, I never heard a single Mayo man yet who had a bad word to say about Dermot Earley even though he was born in Mayo and could have worn the green and red.
Same with Sean KIlbride; when his best years were behind him, he dropped down the gears a bit and switched to Roscommon. Never heard a Mayo man that didn't wish him the best of luck.
Cheer up; this is a Mayo Galway thread and you'll do yourself an injury if you keep on moaning about Ballagh.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

The best thing for Mayo would be a tight match.

Mayo Mick

Ros blood in him too Jinxy.

My one reservation about Regan.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Tubberman

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 30, 2016, 04:25:23 PM

Bedad, syf you'd better stop worrying about effin' Ballagh and all that goes with it. Relax, chill out; smell the bees and listen to the flowers as you go through life and cast your worries aside as they will only drag you down.
(Mind you, I'm not sure that I got the above sentence right but you should know what I mean as you come out with  at least as much crap as I do.
Lookit, I never heard a single Mayo man yet who had a bad word to say about Dermot Earley even though he was born in Mayo and could have worn the green and red.
Same with Sean KIlbride; when his best years were behind him, he dropped down the gears a bit and switched to Roscommon. Never heard a Mayo man that didn't wish him the best of luck.
Cheer up; this is a Mayo Galway thread and you'll do yourself an injury if you keep on moaning about Ballagh.

It has nothing to do with Ballagh. Evan Regan is from Ballina.
His father is from Roscommon town, and poor ould Syf seems to think this gives Ros some claim to the lad.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on May 30, 2016, 05:05:09 PM

Wouldn't do Galway any harm either. To be fair, I don't believe tight matches are beneficial at this time of the year. Maybe in the Connacht final or the Quarters it can help.

Galway have to stay with Mayo for as long as possible. When i say stay, I mean be within a score with 10 minutes to go.

Galway have been spectacularly mediocre the last 15(?) years. It's hard to remember their last big scalp. Part (or maybe all) of Mayo going for six in a row is the total collapse as a force of Galway. Unlike Mayo who are now obsessed with winning Sam. Galway seemed to rest on the laurels of their 98 and 01 successes. Although most Galway people I talk to are disillusioned at the present time. They believe that some time in the future things will change back to the old way.  I'm not so sure. Part of our biggest problem was how much we fell back from 1955 to 1981 winning just two connacht titles in that period. Players who went on to become Managers from that period, had no real big game experience. This has changed in the last 20 years.

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 30, 2016, 04:25:23 PM

You have talked to many Mayo people Lar. Lots of sourpusses on the confused side of Ballagh when it comes to Sean playing for his own county.

Don't worry Lar, the poor mouthing from both counties will start soon enough to distract you.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 30, 2016, 05:49:48 PM

Wouldn't do Galway any harm either. To be fair, I don't believe tight matches are beneficial at this time of the year. Maybe in the Connacht final or the Quarters it can help.

Galway have to stay with Mayo for as long as possible. When i say stay, I mean be within a score with 10 minutes to go.

Galway have been spectacularly mediocre the last 15(?) years. It's hard to remember their last big scalp. Part (or maybe all) of Mayo going for six in a row is the total collapse as a force of Galway. Unlike Mayo who are now obsessed with winning Sam. Galway seemed to rest on the laurels of their 98 and 01 successes. Although most Galway people I talk to are disillusioned at the present time. They believe that some time in the future things will change back to the old way.  I'm not so sure. Part of our biggest problem was how much we fell back from 1955 to 1981 winning just two connacht titles in that period. Players who went on to become Managers from that period, had no real big game experience. This has changed in the last 20 years.
Tight matches are good any time. How to turn the last 5 minutes their way is a skill mayo need.
Galway were worse in the early 90s.
When there is a good team they can be lethal. In 5 years time I expect the tables to be turned. Mayo have to win Sam this year. Dubs won't be as big a threat as next year. Throne need more time. Kerry vs dubs semi.

seafoid

Galway had a disappointing league after a good start so KW will be expected to come up with a decent performance in this match. 

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on May 30, 2016, 06:11:50 PM

Tight matches are good any time. How to turn the last 5 minutes their way is a skill mayo need.
When there is a good team they can be lethal. In 5 years time I expect the tables to be turned. Mayo have to win Sam this year. Dubs won't be as big a threat as next year. Throne need more time. Kerry vs dubs semi.

Mayo have to win Sam every year! Every year for the last 4 I've heard this. And if they don't this year, it will be the same proposition next year. Failure is not winning an AI at this stage. It's a huge expectation. But many counties would kill for such an expectation.

Galway at the moment, have three goals. A big Scalp. A Connacht title. A quarter final place. A good year would be achieving one of those. When you see Fermanagh in the Quarters last year - you see it is very possible for Galway to achieve this.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 30, 2016, 07:06:42 PM

Mayo have to win Sam every year! Every year for the last 4 I've heard this. And if they don't this year, it will be the same proposition next year. Failure is not winning an AI at this stage. It's a huge expectation. But many counties would kill for such an expectation.

Galway at the moment, have three goals. A big Scalp. A Connacht title. A quarter final place. A good year would be achieving one of those. When you see Fermanagh in the Quarters last year - you see it is very possible for Galway to achieve this.

Kevin Walsh isn't fit to polish Pete McGrath's boots.

seafoid

Were they not in the quarters in 14 and 15?

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on May 30, 2016, 08:26:15 PM

Were they not in the quarters in 14 and 15?

Beat London, Sligo and Tipperary to get to QF in 2014.

Lost to Donegal by 10 points in Qualifiers in 2015.

seafoid

The funny thing is that Galway have won as much as Mayo in the last 5 years. Cue Syf pointing out the importance of Connacht titles.