RTE crisis

Started by seafoid, June 27, 2023, 12:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Franko on July 12, 2023, 09:00:19 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 11, 2023, 05:14:08 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 11, 2023, 02:46:42 PM
While you can say what you like about Tubridy, it seems to me he didnt do a lot wrong. He was promised X amount of money to do his job and it was RTE shitehawking with payments that is the scandal here. Theyve been badly caught out today. Its also an amazing coincidence that Coveney's brother resigned just before the whole board were let go. Its almost like he knew it was coming, but how? ::)
Today brought things on a lot.
The Renault money will be paid if the  shows are done. So no public money involved.

The previous CFO has a lot of responsibility.  But it's probably  not conspiracy, rather incompetence.

This has to be sarcastic

Otherwise that's as bad a reading of basic facts as I've seen

Then to arrive at a conclusion that's totally wrong
This has nothing to do with the clubs, Franko

Franko

Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2023, 09:20:22 AM
Quote from: Franko on July 12, 2023, 09:00:19 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 11, 2023, 05:14:08 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 11, 2023, 02:46:42 PM
While you can say what you like about Tubridy, it seems to me he didnt do a lot wrong. He was promised X amount of money to do his job and it was RTE shitehawking with payments that is the scandal here. Theyve been badly caught out today. Its also an amazing coincidence that Coveney's brother resigned just before the whole board were let go. Its almost like he knew it was coming, but how? ::)
Today brought things on a lot.
The Renault money will be paid if the  shows are done. So no public money involved.

The previous CFO has a lot of responsibility.  But it's probably  not conspiracy, rather incompetence.

This has to be sarcastic

Otherwise that's as bad a reading of basic facts as I've seen

Then to arrive at a conclusion that's totally wrong
This has nothing to do with the clubs, Franko

From your perspective, it has very little to do with logic and reason either

Hound

Both RTE and Tubridy in the wrong.

RTE pretended they were giving Tubs a paycut, but asked Renault to pay him the 75k instead. They gave Renault credit in their marketing spend for this, so this was costing Renault nothing - effectively RTE gave the 75k to Renault and they gave it to Tubs.
Then when Renault pulled out, RTE had to make the 75k payment to Tubs, but instead of classifying it as salaries/contractors, they kept it in the marketing account.  Clear deception on RTE's part. And then understated his salary when disclosing top earners.

Tubs at fault for saying nothing when his total salary was incorrectly reported by RTE. He admitted he knew the reported figures were wrong, but he just kept the head down. I'd call that lying to the public by omission.

The committee had done a good job at interviewing the RTE honchos in prior days, but they were quite poor in their interrogation of Tubs and Kelly I thought.

The Boy Wonder

The RTE Commercial Director (now retired) claimed that the RTE Director General (now resigned) told her that RTE was under pressure to pay the two €75k invoices for "Consultancy" through the barter account as payment for Ryan Tubridy. Though he denies it, the pressure was obviously coming from Ryan Tubridy's agent, Noel Kelly, who would get a handsome cut. Yesterday it became quite clear that there was no contract other that a supposed verbal commitment.

I believe there were three €75k payments in total. Ryan Tubridy provided 3 "Late Late Road Shows" for Renault in 2022 as per the "agreement". The other 2 years' roadshows (3 per year) are outstanding – Ryan Tubridy was paid for these via the two dodgy invoices through the barter account. This cost a 35% commission to the barter company on each invoice – all for the purposes of hiding these payments . There was no mention of paying back this money until yesterday – Ryan Tubridy has committed to return the €150k if these outstanding roadshows don't happen. I'm sure Patrick Kielty won't do them !

I believe that Noel Kelly was less than honest yesterday and that he was the instigator of these two seemingly fraudulent payments. His company issued the two seemingly fraudulent invoices for "consultancy". His excuse – "RTE told me to do it ". RTE were obviously complicit. At best Ryan Tubridy was very naive in this whole matter. I don't believe he set out to deceive but he is still standing by his agent Noel Kelly. Unless he publicly apologies for the actions of his agent he should not be allowed back into RTE.

Tomorrow's committee hearings will probably hear RTE rebut some of Noel Kelly's evidence – it brings to mind the saying "there is no honour among thieves".

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on July 12, 2023, 12:16:32 PM
The RTE Commercial Director (now retired) claimed that the RTE Director General (now resigned) told her that RTE was under pressure to pay the two €75k invoices for "Consultancy" through the barter account as payment for Ryan Tubridy. Though he denies it, the pressure was obviously coming from Ryan Tubridy's agent, Noel Kelly, who would get a handsome cut. Yesterday it became quite clear that there was no contract other that a supposed verbal commitment.

I believe there were three €75k payments in total. Ryan Tubridy provided 3 "Late Late Road Shows" for Renault in 2022 as per the "agreement". The other 2 years' roadshows (3 per year) are outstanding – Ryan Tubridy was paid for these via the two dodgy invoices through the barter account. This cost a 35% commission to the barter company on each invoice – all for the purposes of hiding these payments . There was no mention of paying back this money until yesterday – Ryan Tubridy has committed to return the €150k if these outstanding roadshows don't happen. I'm sure Patrick Kielty won't do them !

I believe that Noel Kelly was less than honest yesterday and that he was the instigator of these two seemingly fraudulent payments. His company issued the two seemingly fraudulent invoices for "consultancy". His excuse – "RTE told me to do it ". RTE were obviously complicit. At best Ryan Tubridy was very naive in this whole matter. I don't believe he set out to deceive but he is still standing by his agent Noel Kelly. Unless he publicly apologies for the actions of his agent he should not be allowed back into RTE.

Tomorrow's committee hearings will probably hear RTE rebut some of Noel Kelly's evidence – it brings to mind the saying "there is no honour among thieves".

On what planet are Renault, no longer a sponsor of the LLS, going to ask Tubs, no longer the presenter of the LLS, to do 6 corporate gigs with all this going on?

HiMucker

I don't believe Tubs was naive at all. Given the time I'm sure he was well aware of the optics of people's pay being cut, and would have been delighted to be seen to be doing his bit like everyone else, all in the comfort of knowing he was losing anything at all. He may not have done anything illegal, but his actions stink.

joemamas

Quote from: marty34 on July 12, 2023, 08:56:54 AM
Quote from: fearbrags on July 11, 2023, 06:39:40 PM
Two Victims  Ryan  &   Noel   Ffs give me a  breaker  , Two Lying arrogant tnucs if you ask me

Correct, two bluffers.

Watched about twenty minutes of it, pretty much thought the same.

clarshack

2 real pieces of sh*t

Baile Brigín 2

Seemingly Bennett announcing how many games in each sport RTE showed got soccer wrong by a margin

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/07/12/bakhurst-to-describe-rte-payments-scandal-as-shameful/The new director general of RTÉ is to tell an Oireachtas committee that the controversy over undisclosed payments to Ryan Tubridy led to "one of the most shameful and damaging episodes in the organisation's history".

trailer

Can Tubrity realistically work again after this?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on July 13, 2023, 10:54:42 AM

Would he need to with the amount of money he's been paid?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 13, 2023, 11:29:11 AM

Who's going to help the kids to read if he gets the boot?

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on July 13, 2023, 11:45:00 AM

He'd have a right lifestyle to fund. All relative I suppose

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on July 13, 2023, 11:45:00 AM

Reading between the lines , Tubs will be accommodated but Kelly won't.