Assaults at GAA games

Started by Rudi, September 01, 2022, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 07, 2023, 03:18:28 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 07, 2023, 01:45:21 PM
Quote from: FermPundit on July 07, 2023, 01:29:45 PM
Quote from: cornerback on July 07, 2023, 01:00:42 PM
The referee in this case refereed on behalf of Ballinderry; has he changed clubs or was there a conscious decision by Tyrone county board to get an "outside" referee for championship games?

I think referees can move to other counties if the matches fees are higher - Tyrone referees definitely do games in Fermanagh

Happens all the time, Derry has Tyrone and Donegal refs on their list.

One of the text pieces from the WhatsApps last night was that Chicken 'fixed the game for Cookstown to win'... Jesus wept

Another I heard was that the referee "was bad for both teams"

What does this even mean?!? If a referee is bad for one team would that not be good for the other team? I am so confused by the logic.
Conor Lane was brutal for both teams on Saturday.....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 07, 2023, 10:43:25 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 07, 2023, 03:18:28 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 07, 2023, 01:45:21 PM
Quote from: FermPundit on July 07, 2023, 01:29:45 PM
Quote from: cornerback on July 07, 2023, 01:00:42 PM
The referee in this case refereed on behalf of Ballinderry; has he changed clubs or was there a conscious decision by Tyrone county board to get an "outside" referee for championship games?

I think referees can move to other counties if the matches fees are higher - Tyrone referees definitely do games in Fermanagh

Happens all the time, Derry has Tyrone and Donegal refs on their list.

One of the text pieces from the WhatsApps last night was that Chicken 'fixed the game for Cookstown to win'... Jesus wept

Another I heard was that the referee "was bad for both teams"

What does this even mean?!? If a referee is bad for one team would that not be good for the other team? I am so confused by the logic.
Conor Lane was brutal for both teams on Saturday.....

You're brutal, all about opinions ya see
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rrhf

Leave referees alone lads. 

seafoid

Quote from: PMG1 on July 07, 2023, 01:32:43 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on July 07, 2023, 12:22:57 AM
Would  urge all to tread lightly and with any compassion that can be mustered. This thread could take a very rough turn but it's all relative and we are never in control of all the facts.

I've known him since we went to school together. A very smart man in his topics of interest, his posts were most informative. But he was socially and emotionally on the shorter side of the stick. Would have endured loneliness at best and bullies  at worst as a teenager and young man. Having a family member in this kind of space myself - it's not quite vulnerable adult but it's also not fully fledged everything is going well type adulthood either. Unless you've lived it you never have a clue what these individuals endure in their formative years. It's heartbreaking.

It's a horrible event, I'll be glad to hear when the injured parties and scared children etc involved are improving. And I hope he gets the help and structure he needs.

Edit: I'd noticed his posts here and his social media presence had dissappeared last year and was worried. I really do hope he gets some help as all was clearly not well when that happened.

Well said Puckoon, this was definitely not the man we both know. Life has not been easy for him and has lost some family members in the not too distant past, things were obviously not all well with him. My heart goes out to his family as I am sure they are very afraid for what lies ahead of him. His father would have been at the game and is as diehard a GAA man as you would ever find, he himself has not been physically well of late and after losing a daughter this is the last thing he would have needed. This is not a good situation
Well said, Puckoon.  The family must be in shock. Hopefully he gets the treatment he needs.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

onefineday

Quote from: Baile BrigĂ­n 2 on July 07, 2023, 04:56:52 PM
[
Irish league and league of Ireland crowds dwarf crowds at club games. Your argument is silly.
In Dublin that is true, it's not accurate for many other counties. Club attendances, league and championship in Dublin are essentially family members. Outside of Dublin club league matches would usually be a few hundred and championship (depending on structure) would generally be 4 figures.

onefineday

Quote from: TabClear on July 07, 2023, 10:58:35 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 07, 2023, 10:42:11 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 07, 2023, 10:15:39 AM
This will likely be an unpopular opinion, but referees have been feeding this beast for years, by turning a blind eye during matches, and accepting post-match apologies deliberately feigned to ensure a more favourable report. And now they can no longer control the beast.

Now they need to take control again, which means getting together and forcing through a new code, along the lines of:

1. personal abuse from player or mentor - immediate red card.
2. more than two instances from the one side - match abandoned.
3. abuse from supporters - registered as a complaint with their CCCC.  Every second complaint sees the reversal of a home match, or a requirement to play with no spectators for a match.

And re no. 1, suspensions should work on a multiplier level and carried over two seasons. First offence, 1 match ban. Second instance, two match ban, and so on.

Perhaps more importantly, they need to police this from within. If they find tgat one of their own is being lenient on personal abuse, then sanction him.

One season of learning and heartache for players, mentors and supporters would clean up football forever.

This kind of approach seems necessary. Personal abuse should not be tolerated at any level.

Agree with this.

One simple change I would take is the AFL approach of moving the ball forward 50m rather than 10m (14m?) for any mouthing or backchat from players. You very rarely see it in AFL because it is such a huge penalty.

Players might soon keep their mouths shut if every transgression is likely to give a shot at goal. If the players/coaches are not constantly guldering that will reduce vitriol in the crowd.
Love both of these approaches and the appeals process needs cleaned up too - we need to start accepting the consequences of our actions and not scurry around looking for loopholes.

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on July 08, 2023, 05:56:58 AM
Would  urge all to tread lightly and with any compassion that can be mustered. This thread could take a very rough turn but it's all relative and we are never in control of all the facts.

I've known him since we went to school together. A very smart man in his topics of interest, his posts were most informative. But he was socially and emotionally on the shorter side of the stick. Would have endured loneliness at best and bullies  at worst as a teenager and young man. Having a family member in this kind of space myself - it's not quite vulnerable adult but it's also not fully fledged everything is going well type adulthood either. Unless you've lived it you never have a clue what these individuals endure in their formative years. It's heartbreaking.

It's a horrible event, I'll be glad to hear when the injured parties and scared children etc involved are improving. And I hope he gets the help and structure he needs.

Edit: I'd noticed his posts here and his social media presence had dissappeared last year and was worried. I really do hope he gets some help as all was clearly not well when that happened.

Well said Puckoon, this was definitely not the man we both know. Life has not been easy for him and has lost some family members in the not too distant past, things were obviously not all well with him. My heart goes out to his family as I am sure they are very afraid for what lies ahead of him. His father would have been at the game and is as diehard a GAA man as you would ever find, he himself has not been physically well of late and after losing a daughter this is the last thing he would have needed. This is not a good situation
Well said, Puckoon.  The family must be in shock. Hopefully he gets the treatment he needs.
Keeping him away from GAA games might be a start!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on July 08, 2023, 09:52:02 AM

Keeping him away from GAA games might be a start!!

Apart from any jail etc, any sentence for an assault at a sports ground should come with a lifetime ban from sports grounds.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

quit yo jibbajabba

the ref assaulted reffed a match last night fair play to him

WT4E

Great Post.

This Man had issues obviously and his love of Fintona pushed him to the point where he thought producing and using a weapon was a good idea.

That's a hell of a love to be fair.

Milltown Row2

He'll have plenty of time to sort out his issues when facing two counts of assault with a deadly weapon
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 08, 2023, 02:24:46 PM
He'll have plenty of time to sort out his issues when facing two counts of assault with a deadly weapon

There are some very good lawyers in Tyrone. And he might get a magistrate with a sympathetic ear towards the emotion of GAA. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 08, 2023, 02:57:06 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 08, 2023, 02:24:46 PM

There are some very good lawyers in Tyrone. And he might get a magistrate with a sympathetic ear towards the emotion of GAA.

I'm sure there are a million hard luck stories the magistrates hear. Unprovoked attack with a deadly weapon at a kids game. Though nothing surprises me, probably get two years suspended sentence.

Eire90

some people need to stop making the gaa their whole identity.

clarshack

Quote from: Eire90 on July 08, 2023, 03:47:15 PM
some people need to stop making the gaa their whole identity.

I think so too.