FAO Johnneycool

Started by No1, July 14, 2016, 12:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No1

Can you tell me the names of the players on the Down team that beat Kilkenny in the National League in 92/93 season (could well have been earlier, I'm far too young to remember!)  :)

johnneycool

Quote from: No1 on July 14, 2016, 12:09:21 PM
Can you tell me the names of the players on the Down team that beat Kilkenny in the National League in 92/93 season (could well have been earlier, I'm far too young to remember!)  :)

Noel Keith (Ballycran)
Kevin Coulter, Gerard Coulter, Paddy Branniff (All Ballygalget)
Marty Mallon, Paul McMullan (both Portaferry) Dermot Woods (Ballycran)
John McCarthy, Danny Hughes (both Ballycran)

Now it gets tricky!

Chris Mageean (Portaferry) and Martin Baille (Ballygalget) were in the half forward line and would have been joined by Gerard McGrattan (Portaferry). Lorenzo McMullan (Portaferry) may have been in the full forward line with Noel Sands (Portaferry) but I'm not sure as I think Mickey Blaney (Ballycran) was playing in one of the corners and I think Hugh Gilmore (Ballycran) was full forward and had to go off injured and was replaced by Paddy Dorrian(Ballycran) who went in to fullback with Gerard Coulter moving into full forward where he played for us at the time.
Paul Coulter (Ballygalget) may have come on as well as it seemed one of the corner forward berths was rotated between Paul and Lorenzo back then.
I'm not sure about the half forwards as Gary Savage (Ballycran) was there or there abouts, mostly midfield back then, but I think John Blob was midfield with the hog that day.
I don't think Pierce McCrickard (Liatroim) was involved that day, but the brother Jerome was a sub IIRC. Their auld da Joe was at every match back then, he may have been hurling board chairman and was some craic.

That defeat relegated Kilkenny to Div2 and set in motion the beast of a development system that turns out AI winners by the bucket load to this very day.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on July 14, 2016, 01:26:17 PM
Quote from: No1 on July 14, 2016, 12:09:21 PM

Noel Keith (Ballycran)
Kevin Coulter, Gerard Coulter, Paddy Branniff (All Ballygalget)
Marty Mallon, Paul McMullan (both Portaferry) Dermot Woods (Ballycran)
John McCarthy, Danny Hughes (both Ballycran)

Now it gets tricky!

Chris Mageean (Portaferry) and Martin Baille (Ballygalget) were in the half forward line and would have been joined by Gerard McGrattan (Portaferry). Lorenzo McMullan (Portaferry) may have been in the full forward line with Noel Sands (Portaferry) but I'm not sure as I think Mickey Blaney (Ballycran) was playing in one of the corners and I think Hugh Gilmore (Ballycran) was full forward and had to go off injured and was replaced by Paddy Dorrian(Ballycran) who went in to fullback with Gerard Coulter moving into full forward where he played for us at the time.
Paul Coulter (Ballygalget) may have come on as well as it seemed one of the corner forward berths was rotated between Paul and Lorenzo back then.
I'm not sure about the half forwards as Gary Savage (Ballycran) was there or there abouts, mostly midfield back then, but I think John Blob was midfield with the hog that day.
I don't think Pierce McCrickard (Liatroim) was involved that day, but the brother Jerome was a sub IIRC. Their auld da Joe was at every match back then, he may have been hurling board chairman and was some craic.

That defeat relegated Kilkenny to Div2 and set in motion the beast of a development system that turns out AI winners by the bucket load to this very day.
Just to check you are talking about Kilkenny here and not Down?  ;)

manfromdelmonte

Was DJ Carey playing that day?

johnneycool

Yes DJ was playing and was marshalled well by Marty Mallon, Charlie Carter was playing also IIRC.

They were full strength as they needed the win to avoid relegation.

AZOffaly

That Gerard McGrattan was a great hurler.

Plain of the Herbs

Noel Keith was a top top goalkeeper.  Noel Sands a dangerous forward too.
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 14, 2016, 05:00:49 PM
That Gerard McGrattan was a great hurler.