Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 14, 2021, 11:19:01 AM
Quote from: whitegoodman on January 14, 2021, 10:51:37 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 14, 2021, 10:20:50 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 14, 2021, 10:18:42 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 14, 2021, 10:17:33 AM
Great to see they are bringing the testing to airports, 11 months late!

Did I read somewhere yesterday there are 12 minute tests coming in?

If that is accurate, and I am accurate. We are talking game changer for Sporting events.....this summer.

Yeah missus mentioned yesterday

Have they mentioned how accurate the tests are likely to be ?  Was there not something in the press the other day about the lack of accuracy on the flow tests ?

Would need to really take a search on that, can't even remember where I read it. I think it I read it was something that had been trialled in a few places and was ready for roll out now. Was near the end of the day and I was for rushing out the door to be honest with you.

As for accuracy, I mean if they are going to airports for purposes of National Security, really, I suppose they have to be on the money? Maybe someone who knows a bit more about the actual testing could comment as I wouldn't have a clue.

I don't know, but maybe not.
In South Korea the first Covid test they had was only something like 70-75% accurate. But they mass tested and had a stringent track and trace with imposed isolation for positive cases and their contacts.
Due to the extremely high level of testing, they were still able to keep the numbers of people with covid down.
If you applied that same logic to airports where everyone was tested with using a test with 70-75% accuracy, then it still would drastically reduce any infections coming through airports.
Only guessing the percentages and assuming that this would be the case....but I haven't actually heard about these 12 min tests myself.

tyroneman

It's mind-boggling how many people still don't seem to care.

Well educated folks, who should know better, still not wearing face masks in shops, still mixing with multiple other housholds, still meeting friends for walks/chats, still not socially distancing, still making unnecessary journeys

Yet they are the first to talk about how bad things have got, how dreadful it is that xyx has passed away alone in a hospital from Covid but despite all that, somehow,  everyone else but them is to blame and they takee zero responsibility for thier actions (because they are the magic exception of course) - as if they are powerless to help matters.

trailer

Quote from: tyroneman on January 14, 2021, 01:01:38 PM
It's mind-boggling how many people still don't seem to care.

Well educated folks, who should know better, still not wearing face masks in shops, still mixing with multiple other housholds, still meeting friends for walks/chats, still not socially distancing, still making unnecessary journeys

Yet they are the first to talk about how bad things have got, how dreadful it is that xyx has passed away alone in a hospital from Covid but despite all that, somehow,  everyone else but them is to blame and they takee zero responsibility for thier actions (because they are the magic exception of course) - as if they are powerless to help matters.

This. ^
I know a good few families who have loved ones that are properly sick. Yet they have these ideas that Covid came in through the window but definitely wasn't from meeting up over Christmas that they shared all over social media. 

Smokin Joe

Quote from: trailer on January 14, 2021, 01:12:01 PM

This. ^
I know a good few families who have loved ones that are properly sick. Yet they have these ideas that Covid came in through the window but definitely wasn't from meeting up over Christmas that they shared all over social media.

This is really what gets me. The amount of pictures on Facebook over the Christmas holidays where large family groups were together was unreal. I can't believe that they didn't think of the potential consequences, and I assume this is what has been behind the really bad numbers that we are now seeing.

Angelo

Have we had a peak in numbers in recent weeks? Possibly in hospitals but the bottom line is that daily new cases have been at a fairly steady level in the O6 for nearly 3 months now.

We have lockdowns in place for the vast majority of that time. Lockdowns do not work, they have been proven to be failures.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Keyser soze

trueblue1234

Quote from: Angelo on January 14, 2021, 01:28:46 PM
Have we had a peak in numbers in recent weeks? Possibly in hospitals but the bottom line is that daily new cases have been at a fairly steady level in the O6 for nearly 3 months now.

We have lockdowns in place for the vast majority of that time. Lockdowns do not work, they have been proven to be failures.

They really haven't been at a stead level for the last 3 months at all.  There's a graph on this page that shows the rolling 7 day average.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus/mapping-coronavirus-in-northern-ireland-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-in-your-council-area-39081262.html

Lockdowns work. I would hate to see figures had be neglected to lock down. It's just a pity it wasn't a stricter lockdown for longer.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Angelo

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 14, 2021, 01:38:27 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 14, 2021, 01:28:46 PM

They really haven't been at a stead level for the last 3 months at all.  There's a graph on this page that shows the rolling 7 day average.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus/mapping-coronavirus-in-northern-ireland-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-in-your-council-area-39081262.html

Lockdowns work. I would hate to see figures had be neglected to lock down. It's just a pity it wasn't a stricter lockdown for longer.

How do lockdowns work? We've been in effective lockdown for the majority of the last 3 months and cases have not fallen. The hospitality sector had about two weeks open in that time frame, schools have been shut for nearly 4 weeks now, non essesntial retail has had closures before and after Christmas and cases have not fallen.

Lockdowns have failed and failed spectacularly.

imtommygunn

Cases were less than 1k today(for the first time in a long time) and for the first time in a very long time there are less inpatients here(850 from 875 so still a lot). 16 deaths  :( (13 in the 24 hours and 3 outside the reporting period).

five points

Quote from: Angelo on January 14, 2021, 01:58:30 PM
How do lockdowns work? We've been in effective lockdown for the majority of the last 3 months and cases have not fallen. The hospitality sector had about two weeks open in that time frame, schools have been shut for nearly 4 weeks now, non essesntial retail has had closures before and after Christmas and cases have not fallen.

Lockdowns have failed and failed spectacularly.

Same logic as with justifications of communism. "Oh yes it works, it just has never been done properly."

trueblue1234

We're not re-having the same debate. Lock downs work. To me it's evident to anyone with a brain cell. But you've stated why you think they don't. I just don't agree with you at all.

Angelo

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 14, 2021, 02:08:30 PM
We're not re-having the same debate. Lock downs work. To me it's evident to anyone with a brain cell. But you've stated why you think they don't. I just don't agree with you at all.

The lockdowns evidently have not worked.

We have not seen a reduction in cases after 3 months of lockdown measures.

trueblue1234

They evidently have. As discussed previously. But I don't expect you to change your opinion. So happy to leave it there.

Angelo

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 14, 2021, 02:14:45 PM
They evidently have. As discussed previously. But I don't expect you to change your opinion. So happy to leave it there.

No. The evidence says that despite 3 months of lockdowns and restrictive measures, daily new cases have not reduced.

They have been an unmitigated failure and to say otherwise is a very obvious departure from reality.

Why have cases not gone down despite lockdown measures?

Lockdowns neither work, nor are they sustainable.

trueblue1234

Yeah they do.

Most people know that.

You don't.

I don't care that you don't know or accept that. You are well entitled to hold that opinion even if I think it's BS.