Armagh v Antrim, USFC Prelim. Round - Athletic Grounds, April 8th, 5pm

Started by balladmaker, April 02, 2023, 11:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Quote from: yellowcard on April 08, 2023, 07:39:11 PM
You'd have to wonder how Antrim beat Cavan in the League because they were shocking today. For a championship game they put up no resistance and Armagh need not have been any better than average. I think Rafferty has been a big success as goalkeeper but sometimes he is too busy getting involved in plays he has no need to. Today was one of those days. Turbitt rightfully got MOTM and McPartland was excellent on his debut but other than that we will have had tougher training matches.

When you see the gulf in standard between divisions 1 & 3 I'm more confident that we can see off Cavan the next day out but nor would I expect them to be as easy as todays opponents as they're probably a division 2 outfit. We'll need Rian O'Neill, Burns and possibly Murnin back for for that game.
Ah it was a game Cavan changed things up and were essentially promoted so weren't hugely bothered. Wouldn't look into likes of those matches that are dead rubbers or such.

seafoid

Itchy

You'd have to wonder how Antrim beat Cavan in the League because they were shocking today. For a championship game they put up no resistance and Armagh need not have been any better than average. I think Rafferty has been a big success as goalkeeper but sometimes he is too busy getting involved in plays he has no need to. Today was one of those days. Turbitt rightfully got MOTM and McPartland was excellent on his debut but other than that we will have had tougher training matches.

When you see the gulf in standard between divisions 1 & 3 I'm more confident that we can see off Cavan the next day out but nor would I expect them to be as easy as todays opponents as they're probably a division 2 outfit. We'll need Rian O'Neill, Burns and possibly Murnin back for for that game.

Both Cavan and Armagh are Div 2 teams

I don't see any reason Cavan would fear Armagh and I expect us to win that game.

Sandy Hill

"Stercus accidit"

yellowcard

Quote from: Itchy on April 08, 2023, 08:06:54 PM

I don't see any reason Cavan would fear Armagh and I expect us to win that game.

I know that Cavan are really confident of winning this match. We'll see but I don't think Armagh will be 😧 fearing Cavan either since there is no substitute for playing weekly against the top teams. Playing against division 3 teams is poles apart from the preparation Armagh have had. Just that the home venue advantage and Cavan's greater need to get into Sam Maguire cup might negate that a bit.

marty34

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on April 08, 2023, 07:35:55 PM
I'm not just referring to this game but rather in general he's dodgy as hell under the high ball dropping in around the square. The odd big take from the clouds doesn't paper over that weakness.
As shockingly bad as Antrim were, they still should have had another 2 goals and at times cut through relatively easy.

This will give mcgeeney the shitz and they will have the bus parked
for cavan next day out.

I think every keeper is weak under the high ball. Just never exposed enough unfortunately.

nrico2006

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on April 08, 2023, 07:42:07 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on April 08, 2023, 06:38:13 PM
Job done, with a few starters missing, exactly what McGeeney would have been looking as Cavan really would have learned very little. Turbitt MOTM but I thought Duffy put in a savage shift, McPartland with 0.4 from MF certainly put his hand up!

Duffy really? Has been shocking this past few games. Gives nothing going forward and always looks suspect defensively.

Duffy played brilliant today. He basically plays box to box and if was allowed the luxury of staying up front without tracking back, like O'Neill or Turbitt, he would get scores.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

bennydorano

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 08, 2023, 08:57:48 PM
Job done, with a few starters missing, exactly what McGeeney would have been looking as Cavan really would have learned very little. Turbitt MOTM but I thought Duffy put in a savage shift, McPartland with 0.4 from MF certainly put his hand up!

Duffy really? Has been shocking this past few games. Gives nothing going forward and always looks suspect defensively.

Duffy played brilliant today. He basically plays box to box and if was allowed the luxury of staying up front without tracking back, like O'Neill or Turbitt, he would get scores.
The unglamorous stuff doesn't noticed as much

seafoid

Notionally they are but Cavan didn't play Kerry. Cavan played at a very different level. Armagh will be a lot faster than that. 

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on April 08, 2023, 09:08:34 PM

Notionally they are but Cavan didn't play Kerry. Cavan played at a very different level. Armagh will be a lot faster than that.

Majority of our players spent 2 seasons in Div1. Armagh weren't good enough to stay in Div1 and will play in Div 2 next season - that's the reality.

Game is on Saturday 22nd

armaghniac

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 08, 2023, 08:57:48 PM

He covered the field today, he is very fast and I think will fit in well with the quicker transition that is needed in the championship.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on April 08, 2023, 09:14:26 PM

Majority of our players spent 2 seasons in Div1. Armagh weren't good enough to stay in Div1 and will play in Div 2 next season - that's the reality.

Game is on Saturday 22nd
Armagh can't play in the Tailteann. That is a big difference.

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on April 08, 2023, 09:38:43 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 08, 2023, 09:14:26 PM

Game is on Saturday 22nd
Armagh can't play in the Tailteann. That is a big difference.

If Armagh, who have won zero under McGeeney, are not 100% and completely focused on winning Ulster above all else then I am truly shocked.