NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: yellowcard on March 27, 2023, 04:46:42 PM
It won't be talked up as such but in my opinion a division one league title for either Galway or Mayo would be a bigger achievement than winning a Connacht title. It has all of the best teams in Ireland playing each other over a 2 month period and its a national title. But just watch both counties say that they aren't too bothered about this game in the build up to it.
Would be great for the players to win a national title and it's a competition that Galway rarely ever win, so there's no doubt it would be good to win and especially against Mayo.

But from a purely fan perspective, thinking about the four Division One football finals I went to see Galway play in and they lost the lot of them. Once those league finals were done and dusted I don't think I ever thought about them again really, same with the Div Two final last year. Would be great to win Sunday but realistically there's no comparison to losing and winning on the big day that really counts, those AI losses stay with you, there's just no comparison.

From the Bunker

On an advantage side, Mayo have virtually had a week off this week. Most of those who played v Monaghan on Sunday will be in the Stand in Croke Park next Sunday. Plus Mayo's game v Donegal the week before was as close to a training match as one could get.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 27, 2023, 05:09:54 PM
On an advantage side, Mayo have virtually had a week off this week. Most of those who played v Monaghan on Sunday will be in the Stand in Croke Park next Sunday. Plus Mayo's game v Donegal the week before was as close to a training match as one could get.
Technically I suppose it's a knockout game as well, Galway don't win those against the big teams and sure wins don't count unless it's knockout as we've been told before. Advantage Mayo you'd think.

From the Bunker

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 27, 2023, 05:13:18 PM
Technically I suppose it's a knockout game as well, Galway don't win those against the big teams and sure wins don't count unless it's knockout as we've been told before. Advantage Mayo you'd think.

The big advantage is with Galway. It's a big game and a couple of weeks rest after, they can leave it all on the pitch. If Galway win they will celebrate! If Mayo win they will celebrate the week after if they beat Roscommon.

straightred

It won't be talked up as such but in my opinion a division one league title for either Galway or Mayo would be a bigger achievement than winning a Connacht title. It has all of the best teams in Ireland playing each other over a 2 month period and its a national title. But just watch both counties say that they aren't too bothered about this game in the build up to it.

I would agree and hopefully over time this will be the case. With the new format championship the d1 teams are guaranteed a spot in the round robin games irrespective of how they perform in the provincial series. An early exist in Ulster or Connaught may not be a bad thing.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 27, 2023, 04:14:02 PM
Good win yesterday, Galway have got what they want out of the league in terms of giving more players significant game time and having lads put the hand up to give the mgt team selection headaches. After the Roscommon game (it might be the worst IC match I was ever at) I wouldn't have given Galway any chance of making the final so while it's been tough sledding since, Galway have ground out the results in a workmanlike and professional manner. While it mightn't have set pluses racing and there's no wow factor to Galway at the minute compared to Mayo, there's a lot to be said for just finding a way to stay in matches and not lose all the same.

Tierney is the one player who has really upped his game to a new level, has been in outstanding form from the Tyrone game on. His soaring one handed mark from a kick out yesterday is the kind of really impactful play that he is now regularly delivering, hopefully that will continue on into the final next week and then the championship.

As for next Sunday, well there is no doubt that Mayo have clearly been the team of the league, they have played the best football and have swatted aside some top teams along the way. If Kerry or the Rossies had got through yesterday, I'd have fully expected Mayo to beat them and win the final. Now that it's Galway there my head is telling me the same story but the heart doesn't want to listen to it!

Galway have lost a lot of finals in CP since the 2017 Division Two final and no harm for the team to get winners medals if possible, not the end of the world if they don't (thinking of the Div Two final last year, which turned out to be forgotten about and irrelevant to the rest of the year) but again, there are a good number of those players who have lost finals in CP (and won them to be fair to the 2020 U20s and the lads with AI club medals) but Galway could do with finally winning a league, a very tough assignment awaits however.
I would caveat that one of our truly important players in McDaid - who is built for CP and has played his best stuff in a Galway jersey there - is out by the sound of things, that is a massive loss from the team that played in Castlebar to open the league.

For me the main take out of this league campaign is the defensive team improvement by Galway. For all the talk about good forwards and it's been done with David Clifford with Kerry at the end of the day the team with best defence almost always wins national titles.  Cian O'Neill, John Divilly I can imagine have been the main men in Joyce's management that has brought about that improvement. Once a team gets the structure and system of their defence right the loss of individuals will not be felt.  Sunday will prove another good test as Mayo have been scoring 18 points per game average in the league and Croke Park will likely suit the game they want to play under McStay.

I think Galway have lost their last 5 Div 1 finals since their last win in 1981 and I see Joyce has said he lost 3 Div 1 finals himself as a player so will be a feather in his cap if he lands this title as a manager and all the more sweeter against neighbours Mayo.

Good to see Connacht teams finish 1st,2nd,3rd in Div 1 and Sligo are on the rise also. Connacht hasn't been this strong since the early 00s.

Blowitupref

Quote from: straightred on March 27, 2023, 05:23:15 PM

I would agree and hopefully over time this will be the case. With the new format championship the d1 teams are guaranteed a spot in the round robin games irrespective of how they perform in the provincial series. An early exist in Ulster or Connaught may not be a bad thing.

By next year those in HQ might use their common sense and not to fix league finals a week before the championship starts.  Leitrim manager Andy Moran yesterday called it scandalous scheduling.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Well it won't be bothering you now Andy ;)
The GAA could of course do away with League Finals.
Top the Division you win the League.
2nd team get an oul shield or the like.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on March 27, 2023, 05:48:43 PM
Well it won't be bothering you now Andy ;)
The GAA could of course do away with League Finals.

Than the top team might actually try on the last day of the regular games.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

WhoDat

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 27, 2023, 05:13:18 PM

eh its very much advantage galway. mayo are going to have one eye on the start of their championship the following week. i wouldn't even be surprised if they don't play a couple of key players ahead of that. galway can afford to go at it at the weekend knowing they've decent recovery time after, mayo can't really. a by product of the ridiculous scheduling - what could have been a great championship precursor is probably not going to be as good as everyone would like simply because one team has to hold something back.

galway will win and probably handily enough.

bennydorano

I felt the same in regards to Armagh in the league, our attitude to it was mystifying in a year where the title really seemed there for the taking. National titles are not to be sniffed at.

Armagh18

Quote from: bennydorano on March 28, 2023, 12:10:01 PM
I felt the same in regards to Armagh in the league, our attitude to it was mystifying in a year where the title really seemed there for the taking. National titles are not to be sniffed at.
What was wrong with our attitude? It was our application of basics, coupled with negative tactics and compounded by injuries to key men that cost us rather than our attitude imo.

bennydorano

Attitude in the widest possible sense, league should have been targeted as very very winnable.

Eire90

not a fan of getting rid of league finals it can be anti climatic if a team already has league won i prefer the ocassion of final thats just my thoughts.

yellowcard

Quote from: bennydorano on March 28, 2023, 12:52:10 PM
Attitude in the widest possible sense, league should have been targeted as very very winnable.

I don't think it wasn't that we didn't target it, we just fell short due to negative unsuitable tactics, an inability to close games out and injuries to some key players. Donaghy even said as much after the Galway match when he said that they'd hoped to be in a position travelling to Omagh knowing that a win there would guarantee them a League final. The Galway result ended that aspiration though. The margins were very fine but it was a missed opportunity nonetheless. I don't think Armagh will win an All Ireland but could have won a League title.