Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

A game of two halfs for Derry. Didnt bring anywhere near enough intensity in the first half and Dublin took advantage.
Some of the dubs attacking play in that half was top drawer stuff. McCarthy runs were really hurting us in particular. Kilkenny and Murchant too.
But even at that, Derry missed 3 (I think) easy frees and 3 further scores which on another day we'd have been scoring. We should still have went in at half time even.
The second half was a completely different game from Derry. They moved up 2 gears and brought the game to Dublin, who then started making mistakes. McKinless made a huge difference as did McWilliams and Murray. Those couple of points McWilliams and Murray scored were awesome. Paul Cassidy continues his good form, but Rogers and Glass took complete control around the middle in the second half and Rogers in particular was on a different level driving us forward.
A fantastic win for Derry and we go into the last 2 games knowing that promotion is within our reach.

I feel Dublin will still improve come championship. Not sure why McCaffery wasnt on the match day panel, he'd have made a huge difference for the dubs. But when you look at the impact the dublin subs made in comparison to the derry subs, it was night and day.

I do have to laugh at people saying the ref favoured derry or gave us soft frees though. Forgetting the irony of Dublin complaining about home town decisions, Fitzsimmons should have got the line twice before he eventually did. The amount of off the ball stuff Dublin were at and got away with was ridiculous and that was never a free near the end against Glass to pull the Dubs level. And seriously, does anyone think a Tyrone ref will be good to Derry? Catch a grip lads. On the whole the ref had a decent game, prob one of the best refs about at the minute.

Feet on the ground though. We've shown we deserve to be in Div1 in my opinion. We've marginally beat Dublin, who were relegated from Div1 last year and as much as it'll be said that we are in with a shout of beating the big boys now, Championship is a different beast. Would I be confident of beating Dublin in championship in Croke park? Not a chance. I wouldn't even be confident of beating Clare or Cork in the next two league games. But, I would be confident that we'll put it up to anyone now. The way we turned that game around was impressive. It would have been really easy to go out with a whimper and get beat by 8 or 10 points after the first half but instead we showed character and resolve and that will be key to going further.

caprea

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 05, 2023, 09:37:07 AM
A game of two halfs for Derry. Didnt bring anywhere near enough intensity in the first half and Dublin took advantage.
Some of the dubs attacking play in that half was top drawer stuff. McCarthy runs were really hurting us in particular. Kilkenny and Murchant too.
But even at that, Derry missed 3 (I think) easy frees and 3 further scores which on another day we'd have been scoring. We should still have went in at half time even.
The second half was a completely different game from Derry. They moved up 2 gears and brought the game to Dublin, who then started making mistakes. McKinless made a huge difference as did McWilliams and Murray. Those couple of points McWilliams and Murray scored were awesome. Paul Cassidy continues his good form, but Rogers and Glass took complete control around the middle in the second half and Rogers in particular was on a different level driving us forward.
A fantastic win for Derry and we go into the last 2 games knowing that promotion is within our reach.

I feel Dublin will still improve come championship. Not sure why McCaffery wasnt on the match day panel, he'd have made a huge difference for the dubs. But when you look at the impact the dublin subs made in comparison to the derry subs, it was night and day.

I do have to laugh at people saying the ref favoured derry or gave us soft frees though. Forgetting the irony of Dublin complaining about home town decisions, Fitzsimmons should have got the line twice before he eventually did. The amount of off the ball stuff Dublin were at and got away with was ridiculous and that was never a free near the end against Glass to pull the Dubs level. And seriously, does anyone think a Tyrone ref will be good to Derry? Catch a grip lads. On the whole the ref had a decent game, prob one of the best refs about at the minute.

Feet on the ground though. We've shown we deserve to be in Div1 in my opinion. We've marginally beat Dublin, who were relegated from Div1 last year and as much as it'll be said that we are in with a shout of beating the big boys now, Championship is a different beast. Would I be confident of beating Dublin in championship in Croke park? Not a chance. I wouldn't even be confident of beating Clare or Cork in the next two league games. But, I would be confident that we'll put it up to anyone now. The way we turned that game around was impressive. It would have been really easy to go out with a whimper and get beat by 8 or 10 points after the first half but instead we showed character and resolve and that will be key to going further.

the ref was buying everything Derry were selling when it came to Derry lads going down easy.

seafoid

The Dubs are second favourite after Kerry but that seems to be based on fumes. This year's all Ireland is wide open.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

JoG2

Quote from: screenexile on March 04, 2023, 07:15:51 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on March 04, 2023, 07:14:07 PM
Some of the decisions he gave Derryvwere laughable & the score at the end was a clear overcarry

Poor Tyronies not taking Derry's win well 😂😂😂

Just getting around to reading the thread, Tyrone folk taking it very badly!
McGuigan gets taken out down in the corner near the Brandywell terrace, of course any ref with any common sense is going to allow a team a final play... And what a passage of play, serious bravery from Brendan to burst through and slot over the winner. Must be the first time since the 90s that CP was full.
Had a few sociables in town after, every bar rammed with Dubliners, brilliant to see.

caprea

Quote from: seafoid on March 05, 2023, 10:41:13 AM
The Dubs are second favourite after Kerry but that seems to be based on fumes. This year's all Ireland is wide open.

Kerry look comfortably ahead,I base very little on the league...league smeague

tyrone08

Quote from: JoG2 on March 05, 2023, 11:15:01 AM
Quote from: screenexile on March 04, 2023, 07:15:51 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on March 04, 2023, 07:14:07 PM
Some of the decisions he gave Derryvwere laughable & the score at the end was a clear overcarry

Poor Tyronies not taking Derry's win well 😂😂😂

Just getting around imto reading the thread, Tyrone folk taking it very badly!
McGuigan gets taken out down in the corner near the Brandywell terrace, of course any ref with any common sense is going to allow a team a final play... And what a passage of play, serious bravery from Brendan to burst through and slot over the winner. Must be the first time since the 90s that CP was full.
Had a few sociables in town after, every bar rammed with Dubliners, brilliant to see.

Not sure what the obsession with tyrone is. Surely you should be looking at the validity of the comment and not who it's from. Plenty of poster are saying the same thing from other teams.

Derry played very well but the ref was horrible for both teams. Some of the stuff Derry were at will get called out during championship. Also I have noticed booing follow seems to follow Rory Gallaghers team around. Donegal fans wee at it when him and Jim were there and now so are Derry. Really hate to see booing at matches.

Can see Derry being the top team in ulster for a few years with armagh in 2nd place. Don't think they will win the AI though as I think kerry with Dublin behind them will collect the next few AIs

seafoid

Dublin  are in post Fergie or current  Liverpool/Man City mode.

Wildweasel74

FS after Dublin, it was Tyrone supporters who picked up the baton of booing more than 15+yrs ago. Dublin started the booing, the Derry ones countered it. Though if u go to away game u hear little booing so little is the away support. Dublin should got a black card and the free against glass on review is dogdy enough. Dublin will always been near favourites as they the only team gets home advantage in the championship.

seafoid

Limerick 4 up against Meath. Go before Dia ortho

seafoid

Kildare lost but so did Clare. Both on 2 points. 1 goes down. As long as this mirroring continues Clare go down

Gael85

Limerick have to play Kildare and Clare in last 2 games. Expect Clare and Limerick to go down now. Clare defeats to Kildare and Dublin proving costly now.

thejuice

Meath can't defend at all. Don't know what the issue is. We're conceding loads every game. There's good individual defenders in Keoghan and Adam O'Neill but as a unit they're porous.

We don't have a hope against Dublin but Kildare look beatable but it would be typical of them to have their best game against us.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ck

Quote from: thejuice on March 05, 2023, 05:53:53 PM
Meath can't defend at all. Don't know what the issue is. We're conceding loads every game. There's good individual defenders in Keoghan and Adam O'Neill but as a unit they're porous.

We don't have a hope against Dublin but Kildare look beatable but it would be typical of them to have their best game against us.

Is it fair to say that O'Rourkes ideology (kicking the ball in like its 1987) is being found out as being outdated in 2023?

seafoid

In fairness to O'Rourke it's his first season. Padraic Joyce only got going in year 3.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on March 05, 2023, 09:40:38 PM
In fairness to O'Rourke it's his first season. Padraic Joyce only got going in year 3.

Doubt O'Rourke will see three years with Meath that's the difference. He could well walk after this years championship.