American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: thejuice on January 28, 2008, 09:20:43 AM
Quote from: Minder on January 24, 2008, 09:24:36 PM
What do the Chargers fans on here think of Eli, i take it you are all on for the Pats after Eli fucked youse over at the 2004 draft. I saw footage of it earlier today on NFL Total Access, when he was called out with the Chargers jersey he stood shaking his head like a spoilt wee pussy.

Well, surely he should be allowed have some say in what team he ends up with. I wouldnt have said he was acting spoilt, what was he meant to do anyway. Join the Chargers even if he didnt want to.

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on January 26, 2008, 05:08:28 PM
What the latest on Brady are they just hiding him from the media or has he an injury problem?

I'd say he'll be be playing either way, he'd have to be fatally wounded before he would consider not playing.

Aye but you dont really have a choice in the draft, there have been better players than him have went to teams they probably didnt want to.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

That's the whole point of the draft system. To try and ensure competitiveness and as level a playing field as possible. The Yanks have a term for it, parity. That's why the worst teams get to draft first, which allows them to address any specific issues they may have.

A lot of the time, the teams with picks 1, 2 and 3 may try and trade their position in the draft for 2 or more draft picks from a later team, especially if the higher ranked college players are not in positions they really need, or if the player himself is making lukewarm noises about the possibility of being drafted by them.

The draft is a good system though, and it was bad form of Eli Manning that time. He should have asked the chargers to pass on him, or trade their pick. If he did that, and they still didn't do it, well then he should have gone there and set about improving them.

thejuice

yeah, I know how the draft works. But if i was going into the draft for instance, and i was picked by the Raiders, I would probably try and get the hell out of it asap, wouldnt want to have anything to do with them while Al Davis is still there. It would be a waste of a good part of your career.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

I know you know it juice, sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was trying to explain it. I was trying to say in response to this

QuoteWell, surely he should be allowed have some say in what team he ends up with. I wouldnt have said he was acting spoilt, what was he meant to do anyway. Join the Chargers even if he didnt want to.

that the whole point of the draft is that the betterment of the league and it's teams is more important than the players wishes about where he plays.

thejuice

Yes thats all well and good, but is a player supposed to bite his lip and just dedicate a few years of his career in what he may see as either a lost cause or somewhere he just doesnt want to go.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Dinny Breen

Is it true that Brady was only a 5th round draft  :o
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: thejuice on January 28, 2008, 10:53:08 AM
Yes thats all well and good, but is a player supposed to bite his lip and just dedicate a few years of his career in what he may see as either a lost cause or somewhere he just doesnt want to go.

In short, yes. Most people would say that it's his job to make the team better, or at least shine in a bad team so that a good team will take him. Either way, they'll be looked after financially. The thing to remember is that the player works for the NFL, not for the individual team, really. You might have preferences as to where you go, but all in all, the NFL usually sides with the teams here.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 28, 2008, 10:54:17 AM
Is it true that Brady was only a 5th round draft  :o

No Dinny, that's rubbish.

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick out of Michigan in 2000 (199th pick overall).

Quarterbacks drafted higher included:

Chad Pennington - New York Jets - 1st Round
Giovanni Carmazzi - SF 49ers - 3rd Round
Chris Redman - Baltimore Ravens - 3rd Round

Marc Bulger also went in Round 6 that year. Obviously the QBs weren't seen as top notch in 2000.

Minder

Due to the nature of the NFL a quick turnaround in a teams fortunes can happen, in the NFC South the teams have finished last each year have won it the next year for 4 years in a row i think. Look at the Green Bay Packers, before Favre went there in the early 90's they were prennial whipping boys, the Colts were also poor when Manning went as the 1st pick, the Colts and Chargers have benefitted from outstanding front office/drafting.......

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minder on January 28, 2008, 11:10:22 AM
Due to the nature of the NFL a quick turnaround in a teams fortunes can happen, in the NFC South the teams have finished last each year have won it the next year for 4 years in a row i think. Look at the Green Bay Packers, before Favre went there in the early 90's they were prennial whipping boys, the Colts were also poor when Manning went as the 1st pick, the Colts and Chargers have benefitted from outstanding front office/drafting.......

Exactly Minder, and that's the NFL ethos, because they hate to see teams continually taking a beating every season, like the Cardinals. :D The Cardinals' problem is they always finish about 5th worst team in the league, so they never get the real superstar draftees.

Anyway, the NFL loves the draft because as you say, teams like Indianapolis, Saint Louis, New Orleans, Cincinnatti etc can be turned around with one good pick. That's why they hate to see players trying to buck the system.

Orior

I watched the film Invincible (based on the story of Vince Papale) on a long haul flight last week and it got me all into american football again.

The Giants were lucky enough to get past the Packers. Preiction - Patriots by 15.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 28, 2008, 11:13:46 AM
Quote from: Minder on January 28, 2008, 11:10:22 AM

Exactly Minder, and that's the NFL ethos, because they hate to see teams continually taking a beating every season, like the Cardinals. :D The Cardinals' problem is they always finish about 5th worst team in the league, so they never get the real superstar draftees.

Anyway, the NFL loves the draft because as you say, teams like Indianapolis, Saint Louis, New Orleans, Cincinnatti etc can be turned around with one good pick. That's why they hate to see players trying to buck the system.

Nobody drafted as badly as the Browns when they came back into the league, Couch and Courtney Brown, both No1 picks, both now out of the league. I remember reading a scouting magazine that rated every player in the league, some NFL scouts said Couch would turn out to be better than Peyton Manning.

Minder

Just to let anyone know that watches "Americas Game" on Sky Sports on Saturday morning they are on all this week in run up to Super Bowl,check your tv guide, some are repeats but i have Sky + at the ready anyway.

the Deel Rover

ye watched "America's game " yesterday all about the 81 ( i think) San Francisco 49ers great stuff altogether, what hit me was how much they hated the Cowboys. It said at the end that they won 5 superbowls in 14 Years.Just wondering how many did Montana win with them ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AZOffaly

I think Montana won 4 superbowls with the niners. He was MVP 3 times.

Steve Young was the QB for the other win I think after Montana left.