Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Say what you like about Mickey harte, but all the rosaries worked yesterday. We got a serious run of the green yesterday. If Tyrone can pull off the impossible and land this all Ireland, we should erect a statue of Colm cavanagh up at garvaghy because he is the reason we are still in this championship. Amazing performance again from him.

Club boi

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 13, 2018, 03:18:05 PM
Say what you like about Mickey harte, but all the rosaries worked yesterday. We got a serious run of the green yesterday. If Tyrone can pull off the impossible and land this all Ireland, we should erect a statue of Colm cavanagh up at garvaghy because he is the reason we are still in this championship. Amazing performance again from him.

I just thought you were about to praise Micky Harte but you landed just short STG. Credit were its due, I called for him to be axed, think he has ruined his legacy and stayed too long but fair play, he has them in an All Ireland Final (all be it without playing the big 3 Dublin, Kerry or Mayo)

redzone

Kerry and mayo already proved they aren't top 3 material this year. Maybe call them the big 3. Don't think mayo are in that category anymore

Scoring Zone

Harte has done some job to get to the final, with the injuries during the year, Cavanagh and McCann at the start, then Brennan and Bradley, rejigging for each game and getting results - massive credit.

The performance yesterday was good enough to win but not good enough to be happy with, plenty to work on and it will be no bother bringing them down to earth, they face a huge challenge and it would be a monumental victory - and a tactical and physical performance of a lifetime but it is possible - can't wait.

A few negatives McShane checked the wing mirrors for a few hits yesterday that can't happen at this level, and Burns decision making in the last two games has been v poor and mcnamee one on one is a black card waiting to happen and with the directness of the Dublin forwards this would be a worry

clarshack

Yeah I'd be worried about McNamee as well in the final. Thought he was poor yesterday and was lucky not to be black carded.

Jayop

He might as well have been when he got the curly finger a minute later.

bgal10

Take last years semi-final out of it and we haven't been overly far away from the Dubs over the past 4/5 years. 

Had them beat in the league last year only for a dubious free at the end and probably should have beaten them this year only for a terrible mistake for their goal and our 13 wides to their 1.
In the super 8 game, if we score that free kick to put 1 in it, I think we would almost certainly have gotten a chance to level seeing how much pressure we were putting on the Dublin kickout.  People say Dublin had the game won and were playing in 2nd gear but they were definitely rattled in the last 10.

There's a lot of 'ifs' in the above but we have been putting ourselves into positions to challenge.   

Granted we will need to be more clinical than we have ever been but I would give us a better chance than the bookies currently are at nearly 6/1.

Thebigdog

Goals and plenty of them. Kitchen sink, cupboard s, washing machine, tumble dryer, the whole lot threw at the Dubs in the first 75 minutes. This one could be an epic! Like I said that Dublin full back is vulnerable and we definitely need a physical presence in there. Get the ball in high and early.

bigtogs

Dust has settled now All Ireland Final v the Dubs in just over 2 weeks...... Do we go out and play our usual game and invite the Dubs to pick us off like they have done in the last 2/3 games we have played them at championship level and leave Croke Park wondering if we had of done something different what might have happened?

sensethetone

There must have been a method in he madness of putting Burns in the forwards.

Dire Ear

Plays CHF for Pomeroy as far as I know, and scores plenty

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: bigtogs on August 14, 2018, 11:39:23 AM
Dust has settled now All Ireland Final v the Dubs in just over 2 weeks...... Do we go out and play our usual game and invite the Dubs to pick us off like they have done in the last 2/3 games we have played them at championship level and leave Croke Park wondering if we had of done something different what might have happened?

I don't think it's in question that Tyrone will tactically do what they attempted to do last year and again in Omagh. It'll be 15 behind the ball, try and pick off Dublin on the counter and bring the game into the last 10 minutes. That's not a critical comment, I just don't see Tyrone doing what I think is the only way to get at Dublin and go right up on them like Mayo did, it's not in Harte's playbook anymore and to be honest - he doesn't have the players to go and do that either.

Obviously the key for Tyrone is to avoid what happened last year, when they shipped that early goal.

LeoMc

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 14, 2018, 12:54:14 PM
Quote from: bigtogs on August 14, 2018, 11:39:23 AM

I don't think it's in question that Tyrone will tactically do what they attempted to do last year and again in Omagh. It'll be 15 behind the ball, try and pick off Dublin on the counter and bring the game into the last 10 minutes. That's not a critical comment, I just don't see Tyrone doing what I think is the only way to get at Dublin and go right up on them like Mayo did, it's not in Harte's playbook anymore and to be honest - he doesn't have the players to go and do that either.

Obviously the key for Tyrone is to avoid what happened last year, when they shipped that early goal.

They will have to spread the blanket further up the field though. When Tyrone did win turnovers last year the runners were too isolated and were easily dispossessed. They need to be winning the ball where they can support the runners easier.

BennyHarp

I think we have to do what Lee Keegan did to Ciaran Kilkenny and tag him everywhere he goes. He is THE big influence on the Dublin team. They are always looking for him as an outlet, he holds possession (sometimes recycling for up to 7 or 8 seconds) and this enables them to get players beyond the ball in attack in numbers. This is crucial to their attacking strategy, getting numbers up to overwhelm you. I am also convinced that this Dublin team does not have the flair up front of previous teams and are very methodical. Mannion, O'Callaghan, Andrews, Scully are not at the level of Connolly, Flynn and Brogans. I think we can get at them if we stop Kilkenny. What do they do if they can't get him on the ball? This stat from last year really spoke volumes about how Mayo were able to push Dublin ..."He had 66 possessions in the semi-final against Tyrone, he was restricted to eight today by Lee Keegan." If we can restrict the supply to him we really disrupt their gameplan and I just think they may not have the class of previous years to adapt as easily.
That was never a square ball!!

Jayop

Jesus I was listening to the off the ball podcast from Monday morning there and it's no wonder the "neutral" hates us when you hear the shite Ger Gilroy comes out with. He'd put Rte to shame with his witty Tyrone bashing. What an utter **** of a man.