New York

Started by Karl Kennedy, May 21, 2009, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

What airport is best to fly into and what is the best way to get from there to City centre?

So many things to do, if you had 4 days and were picking the best attractions what would they be? Does your average visitor go up the new Trade Center and Empire state or is it more common to pick one and just go and look at the rest of the big/famous buildings? Even statue of liberty, I see alot of people on the ferry near it, does it let you off or are there just simply different options, I.e. one to just scoot by on the ferry and others to do that and go on the island?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: PMG1 on December 02, 2022, 01:34:54 AM
Heading to NY for the first time on 15th of this month for 4 nights. Booked an Airbnb apartment owned by an Irish guy (it's a pubs the Landmark Tavern which is an Irish Bar in Hells Kitchen area), cost about $220 per night and it looks great. Booked flights back in March for £330 each return. Have been in 56 countries but never in USA. Have my wife and 18 year old daughter so a bit of shopping will be on the menu unfortunately. Someone said to head to Woodbury Common which is a 90 min bus journey but is supposed to be the best shopping place , anyone done this and is it worth it or is there any handier good value shopping areas?

It is a good set up but it will take you away for the day (unless you are looking something specific there) and as J70 said the week before Christmas? The women n my family would have went quite regularly to Woodbury common as a Christmas trip but then changed to some place in Jersey as it was closer and the sales were better. (Not sure if this is the place J70 is talking about).

Milltown Row2

But are things cheaper now? Was in the states about 4 years ago and I price checked everything at the outlets for what I was looking for and they were the same if not cheaper online..

Obviously there are other things that may  be but I never bothered buying anything, few years before that I bought loads, the pound gave you 2 dollars and the prices were a lot cheaper
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NetNitrate

That's Jersey Gardens. Nearer and cheaper because no tax in New Jersey. But a shithole. I'd say if you are coming to NYC don't waste your time in these soulless suburban outlets when you could be doing something authentic.

thewobbler

If you're only in NYC for a handful of days, don't waste one of them going to an out of town shopping mall. This isn't 1986. Your good ladies can get what they want delivered to their door by Amazon.

Also don't waste a day queuing up for Ellis Island / Statue of Liberty. The returns are just not worth the investment.

New York is a giant film set. Just walk it, and as much as you can, and as often as you can, for the time you're there. Things will come to you as you're waking. I've never been any place like it.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: J70 on December 02, 2022, 09:47:54 AM
Quote from: balladmaker on December 01, 2022, 02:04:11 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 01, 2022, 12:18:32 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on November 30, 2022, 09:53:03 PM
Spent 6 nights in April this year, stayed in Hyatt Place, 39th St and 8th Ave, it was the best value we could find for a family room. Was an expensive week between flights and spending money, but everyone had a brill time.  Did The Edge, Central Park, Times Square, the High line walk, the Village, Staten Island, Sunset cruise around the bay, plus a good few bars and restaurants along the way, some city.

Staten Island?? ??? ;D

Yes, Staten Island ferry to head to the Empire Outlet stores, ferry was fine, stores weren't good.

The ferry should be on everyone's list.

Statin Island itself... not so much.

There is a very beautiful Buddhist monastery open to the public on Staten Island.  Not the time of year, but there are also some lovely beaches.  It's been a long time now, but the pizza joint at the SI ferry station used to do a great slice.

J70

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on December 02, 2022, 12:52:50 PM
Spent 6 nights in April this year, stayed in Hyatt Place, 39th St and 8th Ave, it was the best value we could find for a family room. Was an expensive week between flights and spending money, but everyone had a brill time.  Did The Edge, Central Park, Times Square, the High line walk, the Village, Staten Island, Sunset cruise around the bay, plus a good few bars and restaurants along the way, some city.

Staten Island?? ??? ;D

Yes, Staten Island ferry to head to the Empire Outlet stores, ferry was fine, stores weren't good.

There is a very beautiful Buddhist monastery open to the public on Staten Island.  Not the time of year, but there are also some lovely beaches.  It's been a long time now, but the pizza joint at the SI ferry station used to do a great slice.

Well, we're talking "relative" value here. Is the monastery worth the hassle for the average someone in the city for a week trying to take in the essentials? Each to their own.

Beaches... I'm always a bit iffy about NYC beaches as you'll often encounter plastic bags and band aids floating by you. I'd prefer Long Beach or Jones Beach as they seem a bit cleaner.

Although we did a day at Coney Island this past summer and the water was clean. Kids love the boardwalk rides and the aquarium too. Cold spot in the winter though.

In summer Governors Island is excellent for a day out. But again, that's as a resident. Would it be worth your time as a tourist? Maybe, with the wonderful views of downtown and the harbor and the Brooklyn Bridge.

J70

Quote from: thewobbler on December 02, 2022, 12:10:20 PM
If you're only in NYC for a handful of days, don't waste one of them going to an out of town shopping mall. This isn't 1986. Your good ladies can get what they want delivered to their door by Amazon.

Also don't waste a day queuing up for Ellis Island / Statue of Liberty. The returns are just not worth the investment.

New York is a giant film set. Just walk it, and as much as you can, and as often as you can, for the time you're there. Things will come to you as you're waking. I've never been any place like it.

If you want to see the Statue of Liberty, just do the Staten Island ferry. Quicker and cheaper and no queues.

Dress warm though!

whitey

Staten Island?? ??? ;D

I would add that walking the Brooklyn Bridge (especially at sunset) is one the the best things you can do in NYC

The New World Trade Center....just to sit there and think of what happened gives you a chill

Eately is right next to the WTC and a great place to grab a coffee and a sandwich

As other people have said just walk the city and it's amazing what you stumble upon

We tried to do the Tenement Tours but they were all booked up. A kind lady directed us to the Original St Patrick's Cathederal not too far away.....that was pretty spectacular given the history.

There are some catacombs you can tour there which get incredible reviews but again we didn't have time to do it

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g60763-d12939579-New_York_Catacombs_by_Candlelight-New_York_City_New_York.html

nrico2006

Quote from: J70 on December 02, 2022, 01:05:23 PM

If you want to see the Statue of Liberty, just do the Staten Island ferry. Quicker and cheaper and no queues.

Dress warm though!

Is that basically the ferry that most people take to see the statue?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Jeepers Creepers

also don't waste your time in restaurants. Just eat and drink on the go and adsorb as much of the BIG apple as you can. You can do a lot in a day there. Greatest city on earth.

NetNitrate

Although there are some fantastic eating experiences. I'd highly recommend Keens Chophouse - an old steakhouse dating back to late 1800s and full of history.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 02, 2022, 02:14:13 PM
also don't waste your time in restaurants. Just eat and drink on the go and adsorb as much of the BIG apple as you can. You can do a lot in a day there. Greatest city on earth.

It is great no doubt but another that I have started to really enjoy is London, its full of stuff to do like New York but 1 hour away..

But the Mrs hasn't been to New York so looking at it for next year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

smort

There are good vintage/thrift shops in East Village where you can pick up a bargain

Went to New York for the first time in 2017 and it was awesome, in the purest sense of the word. Amazing city

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 02, 2022, 02:00:04 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 02, 2022, 01:05:23 PM

Dress warm though!

Is that basically the ferry that most people take to see the statue?

If you just want to see the statue close up from a boat, that's the best bet.  If you want to get onto the island (not sure if you can still go up the inside of the statue?) and see the excellent Museum of Immigration on Ellis Island, you have to pay.