Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Quote from: gallsman on May 06, 2016, 03:02:35 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 06, 2016, 02:31:07 PM
Mayweather v McGregor??? Really???

Have no idea what your source is but no, not really. Will never happen.

Khan Canelo this weekend. Whatever's people's thoughts on Khan, he's bloody good to watch and this is a brave, brave move.

Unless virgil hunter has came up with a plan to well protect Khan's glass chin then i fancy him to be knocked on his ass inside 9.  I dont see him having the power to trouble canelo either.

omaghjoe

I think Kahn defo has a chance, he has the skills, hand speed and guts to beat Canelo, however I just dont think he will.... that ole chin and love of a brawl will be is undoing i think. But u never know...

Dont really think its a brave move as such, he is in it for the money IMO

CiKe

You have to give him his props, he has some stones but I'd expect him to take a world of punishment and a late KO if he doesn't get sparked early because he aint going to be able to keep Canelo off him. His only chance is to run but be interesting to see if the extra weight slows him down at all.

omaghjoe

Both came in at 155. Kahn looked alot bigger as youd expect, but kinda chunky TBH, would worry he is gonna be giving up alot of weight tomorrow night... likely to be at least 10lbs.

Throw that in on top of Kahn needing to move as cike pointed out with all that weight and youd start to wonder how he can do it.

Also Virgil Hunter reckons Kahn does not have the killer instinct :o. Kinda crazy admission for a trainer to come out with in public.

gawa316

So how much weight can these fellas put on after a weigh in?

CiKe

No expert but a stone or more at middlweight up wouldnt be unheard of

JimStynes

Khan hasn't a chance in my opinion. Might have some success in early rounds but as the fight goes on he will tire more than the bigger man and it will be game over. Smart move from Khan, take this big pay day while the opportunity presents itself. He has nothing to lose, if he gets beat everyone expected it. Whereas if he fights Brook or someone now and gets beat then he loses that big money fight against the likes of Canelo. Would love to see GGG and Canelo fight at 160. I hate this catchweight Canelo has invented.

omaghjoe

Well Im no expert on it but basically they sweat it all outfor weigh in and then rehydrate in the next 24hrs.

Canelo is a bit of a freak, Ive heard that he's went in to the ring at 180lbs from a 155 limit so thats 25lbs, nearly feckin 2 stone.

But I would say typical at this weight would be 10-15lbs.

JimStynes

Mayweather walks around close to his fighting weight. I remember a few fights when he weighed in around 147 and then the same or lighter on fight night. I think he weight 150 at the weigh in with De La Hoya and then on fight night weighed in 149 or something. It must be hell for the bigger fellas to cut weight close to a big fight.

Atticus_Finch

Looking forward to this fight. It's win win for Khan.  He was on the verge of being forgotten about after being over looked by Mayweather and Pacquiao and seemingly not wanting to fight Kell Brook.

Being involved in an arena opening fight against Alvarez is a big deal and puts Khan firmly back in the limelight.

Baffled by both Hunter and Khan seemingly delivering their game plan to Alvarez on a plate.  Both citing a lack of power and reluctance to mix it with Alvarez.  The game plan seems so obvious, it makes me wonder is this some sort of bluff and mixing it with Alvarez is exactly what they plan to do ? 

You would imagine that would be nothing short of boxing suicide. As few have already pointed out. Alvarez will walk into that ring with something close to a 12 lbs advantage and trying to mix it with Alvarez is the last thing he should be trying to do.  At the same time it remains to be seen what the extra weight does to Khan's speed.

Everything points to an Alvarez KO but I don't think Alvarez will be able to put Khan away and won't be overly worried about that as a weight laden Khan won't present the lightening speed some in the Uk media think he will be capable of.  I have a feeling the fight will go the distance with Alvarez getting a comfortable enough decision.

As much as I dislike Khan and hate it when I see him on pundit duties he is rarely involved in a dull fight and hopefully it's the same story tonight.

Think Crolla will get a points decision in his bout against Barroso.  Barroso had too much for Kevin Mitchell when they fought but I'd consider Crolla to be a lot better boxer than Mitchell and normally matchroom fighters get the benefit of the doubt on a home bill if the fight is anyway close.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Tommo2

What time is the khan fight due to start?

Tony Baloney

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 07, 2016, 08:56:08 PM
Quote from: Tommo2 on May 07, 2016, 08:20:31 PM

That strikes me as pretty early, probably closer to five, no?

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: gallsman on May 07, 2016, 09:18:17 PM

Seen on twitter around 5.

Any decent undercard fights?

Boycey

Quote from: gallsman on May 07, 2016, 09:18:17 PM

Aye, I was planning on getting up for closer to 5AM..