Off the Fence - Irish News

Started by 5 Sams, January 14, 2010, 02:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

I usually quite enjoy this piece....usually some excellent points by most of the punters and sometimes they publish letters from absolute headers for the crack. Some of the retorts by Heaney et al are quite witty....however they published a letter today from some boyo called Ryan Kelly calling himself a "Life Long Armagh GAA Supporter". He comes up with a load of points about the present Armagh team and how it should be run and asks that Paddy O'Rourke should adhere to the basics of the game in the way the "Down All Ireland winning team of 1992 " did in "dismantling an Armagh side...in the first round of the Ulster Championship at the Athletic Grounds"

A Life long Armagh GAA Supporter who was obviously born in 1993. :-\
The Aristocrat Years

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

5 Sams

Quote from: armaghniac on January 14, 2010, 02:27:15 PM
Indeed. Wrong on two counts.

I would say three counts....no matter what way you look at it Down did not dismantle Armagh
The Aristocrat Years

cornafean

I think he is guilty of sloppy phrasing more than anything else. Down did dismantle Armagh in the first round of the 1992 Ulster Championship at the Athletic Grounds. They were All Ireland champions at the time.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 14, 2010, 02:31:19 PM

I would say three counts....no matter what way you look at it Down did not dismantle Armagh

That was that horrible wet day down in the Marshes if I remember rightly.  Only for a slip by Aidan Short I believe Armagh would have won that day.  I remember 6 of us huddled under a golf umbrella at the bottom goals doing our level best to avoid slipping on our holes, ah the memories :P

boojangles

That Ryan Kelly must have alot of time on his hands lately.I read another of his letters to the Telegraph I think. Lets just say most of us wouldn't be on the same wave length as Ryan.

cornafean

There seems to be a touch of Alan Partridge in some of his recent letters in the various papers.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

5 Sams

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 14, 2010, 02:48:30 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on January 14, 2010, 02:31:19 PM

That was that horrible wet day down in the Marshes if I remember rightly.  Only for a slip by Aidan Short I believe Armagh would have won that day.  I remember 6 of us huddled under a golf umbrella at the bottom goals doing our level best to avoid slipping on our holes, ah the memories :P

Did Jim McConville not miss a sitter that day too BC1...ball was on the ground, wet day, empty net and he pulled his shot wide....thanks be to fcuk ;)
The Aristocrat Years

AFS

Quote from: cornafean on January 14, 2010, 02:51:21 PM
There seems to be a touch of Alan Partridge in some of his recent letters in the various papers.

I hope, for his sake, that he's not using his real name because he's made a bit of a cnut of himself in at least three papers over the last couple of weeks.

ziggysego

Quote from: boojangles on January 14, 2010, 02:49:29 PM
That Ryan Kelly must have alot of time on his hands lately.I read another of his letters to the Telegraph I think. Lets just say most of us wouldn't be on the same wave length as Ryan.

What is it about these Armagh ones and their letter writing?
Testing Accessibility

red hander

Quote from: ziggysego on January 14, 2010, 04:48:53 PM

What is it about these Armagh ones and their letter writing?

Probably because literacy is a fairly recent concept in Buckfast land

T Fearon

Once again some people show just how stupid they are. Down, the then reigning All Ireland Champions, did beat Armagh (assisted by the fact that Armagh couldn't convert a free to save their lives on the day if I recall) fairly heavily in the first round of the Ulster Championship at the Athletic Grounds in 1992. So Mr Kelly is entirely correct on all points.

Fairly nostalgic occasion as my late brother was the Armagh team Doctor that day and I distinctly remember an altercation he had with Paddy O'Rourke over water on the pitch (ie he wouldn't give O'Rourke a drink ;D)

Celt_Man

Reading between the lines, he is a gobshite so...

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

AFS

Quote from: T Fearon on January 14, 2010, 09:38:16 PM
Once again some people show just how stupid they are. Down, the then reigning All Ireland Champions, did beat Armagh (assisted by the fact that Armagh couldn't convert a free to save their lives on the day if I recall) fairly heavily in the first round of the Ulster Championship at the Athletic Grounds in 1992. So Mr Kelly is entirely correct on all points.

Fairly nostalgic occasion as my late brother was the Armagh team Doctor that day and I distinctly remember an altercation he had with Paddy O'Rourke over water on the pitch (ie he wouldn't give O'Rourke a drink ;D)

This bit may have been fine, but some of the other stuff he came out with was just mental. Finn Mo at left half forward FFS!

T Fearon

Don't know, Moriairity scores goals quite regularly, more often than some of our forwards. Might be worth experimenting with in the half forward line, in the league for a game or two.