Cillian O'Connor wins Golden Boot Race

Started by Angus, September 24, 2015, 08:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Look if he was any good he'd be able to kick the ball through the damn tyre

Score to beat: 1  :-X  ;D

Typical Mayo found a way to come second

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtcy-WgTWbI&list=PL6CcWi_V5ZqtnbzECDqwo7bv_kZVi2tEj&index=9

From the Bunker

Quote from: tiempo on June 17, 2020, 03:53:07 PM
Look if he was any good he'd be able to kick the ball through the damn tyre

Score to beat: 1  :-X  ;D

Typical Mayo found a way to come second

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtcy-WgTWbI&list=PL6CcWi_V5ZqtnbzECDqwo7bv_kZVi2tEj&index=9

Yeah, except the score to beat was one and he got one. So where in that did he come second?  ;)

Captain Obvious

From my reading of those stats Cillian O'Connor peaked a few years ago maybe injuries played a part in that? Dean Rock the most consistent free taker in the game at the moment and in a year or two it could be Sean O'Shea.

Conor McManus lack of consistency on frees a surprise.

Angelo

Are Mayo the only top county who have a free taker taking them from the wrong side?

Pretty much every other top county has a left footed free taker and a right footed one.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

StephenC

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 17, 2020, 04:55:55 PM
From my reading of those stats Cillian O'Connor peaked a few years ago maybe injuries played a part in that? Dean Rock the most consistent free taker in the game at the moment and in a year or two it could be Sean O'Shea.

And for me, surprised to see that Murphy is in the same bracket. The top 3 really seem to be out on their own.

From the Bunker

Dean Rock has a great record scoring in home matches in the Championship. Probably the best in the country. It's hard to see any one match him at present.

From the Bunker

Here's a question for the anoraks out there ......

When is the last time Dublin got beat in an away game in the Championship?

Maiden1

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 17, 2020, 10:41:53 PM

Dublin   0-11 – 2-9   Laois   O'Connor Park, Tullamore 1981 possibly
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Gael85

McManus wouldn't take many long range frees. Beggan takes most places balls from 45-60 yards. Sean O'Shea rarely misses a free. Michael Murphy consistent off the  ground too.

Gael85

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 20, 2019, 10:57:10 AM
COC plays in a team that doesn't really have another consistently reliable shooter. He's the go to guy on a team that is and has been one of the top sides in the country throughout his career. I also think Mayo's style of play and the reluctance (at times) of other Mayo forwards to shoot contributes to them being a side that gets a lot of frees.

So COC gets lots of opportunities and he's reasonably accurate. Just off the tip top level I'd say but really good.

It's a pretty amazing achievement to top that list at age 27 all things considered and underlines his importance to Mayo.

People "don't give him the credit he deserves"  ::) a bit because of his cynicism and constant bleating to refs. I think that differentiates him from the other forwards on the list. He really sails close to the wind most of the time and I think a lot of it is unnecessary.

It's a list of top scorers, not a list of the best forwards.

In fairness he kicked 3 points from play in 2017. Stood up in second half when Moran and Doherty faded. The build up to free he won and kicked off post in 2017 should actually been line ball to Dublin. He gets too involved with referees which wastes his energy and focus on actual game. Trying to help referee ref the game saves him from many a red card as fond of tackling with closed fist .

From the Bunker

Quote from: Maiden1 on June 17, 2020, 11:11:42 PM

Tullamore would have been a neutral not an away fixture!

imtommygunn

Did Tyrone not beat them in Omagh maybe two years ago?

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 18, 2020, 07:52:55 AM
Did Tyrone not beat them in Omagh maybe two years ago?

Nope think it was a two or three point defeat.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Maiden1

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 18, 2020, 07:45:38 AM
Quote from: Maiden1 on June 17, 2020, 11:11:42 PM

Tullamore would have been a neutral not an away fixture!

They played a lot of games at neutral venues before 1974. 

1953 Meath   2–6 – 2–5   Dublin  Páirc Tailteann, Navan

Seems to be the last time
There are no proofs, only opinions.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Angelo on June 16, 2020, 11:13:12 AM
The don't foul guy has some interesting stats and graphs up on free takers over the past 4/5/6/7 years.

I think those of us who are on the side of O'Connor being overrated are probably proven correct here.

He has one all star. How is that overrated?