Albert Reynolds RIP

Started by armaghniac, August 21, 2014, 10:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on August 22, 2014, 10:06:55 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 22, 2014, 09:31:54 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 22, 2014, 10:31:55 AM
Quote from: mouview on August 22, 2014, 09:51:31 AM
Following the plane hostage drama where he spoke to the perp., he was interviewed by an English TV newsman. Albert had to explain that the hijacker was a 'pioneer', a teetotaller. When Albert mentioned that the perp wanted the third secret of Fatima revelaed, the newsman asked him "And what on earth is that?" The look Albert gives him is priceless! "It's a religious secret. It's not for me to say." Look here at 3 minutes in;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Q6Z1xmoSY
That is class. He must have been talking to a heathen protestant

Brilliant! Jaysus I d forgotten about that.

Charlie ordered Albert in to sort out the hijacker because he was minister for Transport and Communication ???

And because he knew Rossies get the job done.
Except in the big matches

lawnseed

Chap on rte news said it all.. The greatest politician since eamon devalera..   8) :o
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

seafoid

Albert could be the last FF taoiseach to lie in state.

lawnseed

Quote from: seafoid on August 23, 2014, 07:33:52 PM
Albert could be the last FF taoiseach to lie in state.
Oh I think they'll manage to lie for some time to come
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/reynolds-remembered-as-man-of-passion-and-courage-1.1906379

"Also there were: businessman Ulick McEvaddy; Former Fianna Fáil minister Michael Smith; Fianna Fáil TD Timmy Dooley.
Former secretary general of Fianna Fáil Pat Farrell, currently head of communications with Bank of Ireland was there.
Also: Dermot Gallagher, former secretary general at the Departments of Foreign Affairs and the Taoiseach; former Fianna Fáil minister Aine Brady; Fr Brian Darcy"

Say a politician does a big favour for a real big hitter like Goodman or Desmond or OBrien- would they be expected at the funeral or is it much more low key - how does it work ? 

Billys Boots

Quote from: moysider on August 22, 2014, 11:02:40 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 22, 2014, 10:06:55 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 22, 2014, 09:31:54 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 22, 2014, 10:31:55 AM
Quote from: mouview on August 22, 2014, 09:51:31 AM
Following the plane hostage drama where he spoke to the perp., he was interviewed by an English TV newsman. Albert had to explain that the hijacker was a 'pioneer', a teetotaller. When Albert mentioned that the perp wanted the third secret of Fatima revelaed, the newsman asked him "And what on earth is that?" The look Albert gives him is priceless! "It's a religious secret. It's not for me to say." Look here at 3 minutes in;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Q6Z1xmoSY
That is class. He must have been talking to a heathen protestant

Brilliant! Jaysus I d forgotten about that.

Charlie ordered Albert in to sort out the hijacker because he was minister for Transport and Communication ???

And because he knew Rossies get the job done.

Yeah, like Seán Doherty. That big wall around his house built with public money was a job well done.

Jaysus, I sat on that famous wall too and ate a pakahatayto as well.  Scary.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Gaffer

I see that D'Arcy is  celebrating the funeral mass.

WTF!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Shamrock Shore

Ara D'Arcy is usually there at the drop of a hat.

Prob no room in Donnybrook for the great unwashed of Longford/Roscommon/Westmeath.

Great to see some serious Shinners in the pew behind Major. Jazes, rewind 20+ years and to think Shinners could be that close to the likes of Major.

On RTE on the interwebs.

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/albert-reynolds/what-made-reynolds-as-a-politician-also-undid-him-1.1904277

"During that time, two other crises erupted.

The first was the X case, which concluded with a Supreme Court decision that a 14-year-old girl who was a suicide risk could have her pregnancy terminated. The second was the controversy surrounding delays within the attorney general's office in relation to the handling of the extradition of a paedophile priest, Brendan Smyth."

Hardly Albert's fault. 20 years on Ireland still has enormous problems with those 2 issues

Nigel White

RIP Albert. I wonder how many people are still alive today as a result of his achievements in helping to bring about peace