Albert Reynolds RIP

Started by armaghniac, August 21, 2014, 10:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

I think this deserves a thread of its own, given the importance of the deceased to the peace process.

Albert Reynolds did a great deal to bring about the conditions for the 1994 ceasefire, which set the wheels in motion that led to any subsequent progress. This concentration on the peace process probably distracted him from other issues and may well have contributed to his short tenure as Taoiseach.

He was a businessman, he did great work in the previous decade in bringing Irish telecoms into the modern era in part because he realised the important to business of this. I imagine that had he continued to have influence in more recent years that he would not have been so quick to build an economy on people building and selling houses to each other, but might have shown some concern for the real economy and so limited the damage caused by speculators.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Shamrock Shore

Albert was a rough diamond and history will record him in a favourable light.

He had his political faults and at times was like a bull in a china shop  e.g. (temporary little arrangement, that wimmin for ya, John Unionist, crap crap crap) but this attitude, sometimes, was vital in helping to give birth to the Peace Process.

My own personal memories are:

- gatecrashing the nomination convention in 1977 in Mullingar when he was chosen to run for FF. There was a free bar and I loaded myself up with Coke (I was 10 at the time). Longford News that following Fri moaned about "snot nosed kids from Edgeworthstown running about the place"

- helped us get a phone in 1982 having waited five years for one.

- ringing my Dad from San Fran when Albert was Taoiseach to 'congraggulate' local club on winning the County Championship (haven't won it since  >:( )

- sadly talking to him at a function in 2009 and seeing that the lights were dimming.

RIP Albert.

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on August 21, 2014, 10:02:58 AM
Albert Reynolds did a great deal to bring about the conditions for the 1994 ceasefire, which set the wheels in motion that led to any subsequent progress. This concentration on the peace process probably distracted him from other issues and may well have contributed to his short tenure as Taoiseach.

He was a businessman, he did great work in the previous decade in bringing Irish telecoms into the modern era in part because he realised the important to business of this. I imagine that had he continued to have influence in more recent years that he would not have been so quick to build an economy on people building and selling houses to each other, but might have shown some concern for the real economy and so limited the damage caused by speculators.
+1.
Another great Ros man gone from us.
Like others from or connected with our County he lead Ireland to being a better place.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bcarrier

His "one page man" approach was genius. It should be compulsory for all memos and reports.

Bord na Mona man

Remember the time he was going to burst the party and Gerry Collins was appealing to him not to!

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

seafoid

RIP

IMO he was a decent man , unlike certain other FF leaders.
I couldn't believe it when they announced the peace process. It was so easy to think our Northern Correspondent Poilin ni Chiarain would retire talking about a bombing last night on the Falls Road. Took a lot of guts to engage and believe in the project.

I think he brought McCreevy in from the wilderness as well, not one of his better days.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on August 21, 2014, 10:47:57 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 21, 2014, 10:02:58 AM

+1.
Another great Ros man gone from us.
Like others from or connected with our County he lead Ireland to being a better place.

And look what happens when Rhus like P. Flynn and Enda get a sniff of power >:(

RIP to Reynolds, just don't let Bertie give the eulogy..

Milltown Row2

Yes a lot of respect for the man, obviously his tenure in the Dall would have escaped us up here but his role in the peace process was vital, he always came across as the quiet determined man, how he got those feckers to agree on anything is beyond me.

RIP
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armamike

Came across as basically decent and down to earth and did so much for us up north.  His type aren't easily replaced in politics. RIP
That's just, like your opinion man.

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on August 21, 2014, 01:25:08 PM
RIP

IMO he was a decent man , unlike certain other FF leaders.
I couldn't believe it when they announced the peace process. It was so easy to think our Northern Correspondent Poilin ni Chiarain would retire talking about a bombing last night on the Falls Road. Took a lot of guts to engage and believe in the project.

I think he brought McCreevy in from the wilderness as well, not one of his better days.
I suppose every hero has one black spot  :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

And the dogfood passports. I think that was Albert as well. By the way, is Bertie another Albert? Is that the most common name for a Taoiseach?

Shamrock Shore

Bertie is short, in this instance, to Bartholomew.

Some Arab lads got passports for investing in the C&D Factory but, shur, t'was harmless aul craic.

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 21, 2014, 03:07:47 PM
Bertie is short, in this instance, to Bartholomew.

Some Arab lads got passports for investing in the C&D Factory but, shur, t'was harmless aul craic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq_tPH_ZBhs

mylestheslasher

I detest FF but I had a soft spot for Albert. He did a lot for the North and for Longford. He will be remembered fondly and that in itself is an achievement when you consider who was taoiseach before and after him. RIP.