The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

When Djokovic first came on the scene he was very funny, did all the impressions of other players' quirks, motions etc.

He very quickly became disliked for his quitting (yes, before his preacher man placed some bread on him and diagnosed him as gluten intolerant leading him to eliminate gluten from his diet and turn into a super human he used to quit. A lot. Game going against him and he'd just give up.) gamesmanship and antics. All players do it to an extent, but he completely takes the piss and always has done.

The stunts around the vaccine, visa and initial refusal to accept his DQ at the US Open are only recent examples of attitudes hardening against him.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 18, 2023, 09:40:36 AM
It was the lies though not the views on the vaccine that a lot had the problem with - that seems to have been completely lost. He was widely disliked before the vaccine stuff tbh. I think he might be more popular after it lol. Definitely, for some reason, he has never had the popularity of Nadal or Federer.

Its not a popularity competition though, these guys are even more single minded than golf players, they have been in serious competition from the age of 8 or 9 in some cases. I tend to find that most of them when on court are in the zone and not really much craic, Federer in his early days was a bit of a brat and Nadal doesn't seem to be as nice a guy as people think either. Certainly Murray gets a bad rap too just because he doesn't smile enough.

The vaccine approach from Novak was questionable, with the telling fibs it wasn't a good look and didn't help.

As a sports man he's unreal though and I'll be hoping he doesn't fade away too soon
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

It's not but that's what people were talking about...

Obviously he's fantastic. You see it in some GAA players too those kind of behaviours - it's just people who can't accept losing.

AustinPowers

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 18, 2023, 09:40:36 AM
It was the lies though not the views on the vaccine that a lot had the problem with - that seems to have been completely lost. He was widely disliked before the vaccine stuff tbh. I think he might be more popular after it lol. Definitely, for some reason, he has never had the popularity of Nadal or Federer.

It was the Australian state's laws  on  forced vaccination  that was the  problem in my book. Not Djokovic's lies or refusal  to take it.  I thought it was gutless by  the other tennis pros who  sat there and said nothing  while Djokovic took the fall.

I was nonplussed  about Djokovic  for years.  But  I was so glad to see him  go back to the Australian open  the following year and win it.  A great way to stick two fingers up  at them.  I was rooting  for him on  Sunday but Alcatraz was brilliant , so  fair play

WT4E

Love watching the Tennis. Would ove to see if my children liked or where any good at it as they grow up but not sure it suits a Tyrone GAA family. Anyone any experience advise on getting kids into it from a rural area?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: WT4E on July 18, 2023, 10:55:25 PM
Love watching the Tennis. Would ove to see if my children liked or where any good at it as they grow up but not sure it suits a Tyrone GAA family. Anyone any experience advise on getting kids into it from a rural area?

It's like any sport, get them in early as these guys at Wimbledon have been playing from year dot...

My daughter absolutely loves it, obsessed with Serena but remember taking her to a tennis court at the Uni besides me, she was all up for it, ready to give it the max! Couldn't hit a ball lol!!

It's a very technical sport, timing, coordination and so on, she still loves it but playing, no

I know a crowd that play doubles at the place near the Lagan, the youngest in the doubles is 75

Watch the Netflix show, Break point,  brilliant
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I would have thought it's one of those sports you need to start young. Any local tennis clubs?

WT4E

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 19, 2023, 08:25:53 AM
I would have thought it's one of those sports you need to start young. Any local tennis clubs?

Local town doesn't have a club I don't think. But next town do Dungannon/Omagh I suppose I could get in contact.

Appears a protestant thing to do but maybe that says more about me than the clubs. 🙂

Milltown Row2

Quote from: WT4E on July 19, 2023, 10:08:34 PM

Local town doesn't have a club I don't think. But next town do Dungannon/Omagh I suppose I could get in contact.

Appears a protestant thing to do but maybe that says more about me than the clubs. 🙂

Find a summer camp, there are plenty in Belfast, my youngest did one on the circular rd off the Antrim rd facing the Landsown.. well run

Orior

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 19, 2023, 10:12:14 PM

Find a summer camp, there are plenty in Belfast, my youngest did one on the circular rd off the Antrim rd facing the Landsown.. well run

They're shit at responding to any requests on Facebook.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on July 20, 2023, 10:34:02 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 19, 2023, 10:12:14 PM

They're shit at responding to any requests on Facebook.

Her friend is a member I suppose that helped!! It's not what ya know  ;)

But I used to collect her when she was at it and would head up early to watch them and very impressed with their coaching from what I could see, very engaging, worked hard on the basics and enough coaches to not leave people hanging about, they only played games near the end of the sessions, so it wasn't just here's a bag of balls knock yourselves out.

Wasn't cheap if I remember right :o