Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
59 (38.6%)
Failure
61 (39.9%)
Too early to say
33 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 153

shark

Quote from: johnnycool on August 10, 2022, 11:16:26 AM
Quote from: shark on August 10, 2022, 11:01:38 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 10, 2022, 09:48:23 AM
Quote from: marty34 on August 10, 2022, 08:03:17 AM
Kerry hurling final was last Sunday.  It was live on TG4.

Because it was on mid-August and live, it got great exposure for Kerry hurling.

Better that than being on in tandem with 6 other county finals on the same day in mid-September and getting no media coverage.

Depends when they're expected to be playing in the Munster championship I'd have thought.

Not good to be winning a county final and then sitting doing nothing for 6 weeks or more for the next competitive game irrespective of the coverage you get.

What would help with this would be provincial councils conducting their draws earlier. Leinster council draws took place quite recently. If they happened in January , for example, then county boards could optimise better.

Surely Croke Park, the provincial councils and the county boards all work off the same master fixtures list and set the dates accordingly..

They do - but that's not my point. I'll give you an example.
Leinster county, say Louth, will run their draws in the spring time and work out what date they need to play their county senior football final. This will be based off when the 1st round of the Leinster senior club championship starts. They'll probably set it for 2 weeks before.
Many months later, the Leinster council runs their draw and it turns out that the Louth champions are straight in to the 1/4 final, which is two weeks after the first round. They have an additional 2 weeks to play with, but they didn't know this when making their fixtures and now can't avail of this time.
This extra time is even more valuable in counties with duel considerations.

ONeill

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 09, 2022, 11:34:48 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 09, 2022, 10:46:52 PM
I think GAA journalists are struggling a bit for content at the minute.

Breheny is doing up lists.

The Top 10 list of top 10 lists would be a sign to resort back to August inter-county.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Wildweasel74

Am f**king bored already, club fball lost its appeal to me a fair time bck. Long time to county Fball again, preferred the Sept finals.

From the Bunker

Ah, we are all bored even when the Intercounty game is in full swing.  Dragging it out makes no difference. Galway/Derry/Armagh were a breath of fresh air this year. But the intercounty game is on it's knees.

ONeill

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2022, 11:24:01 PM
On its knees in what way?

Attendances are down. Leinster and Munster Championships are a one horse race. Games are horribly boring (the final being the exception).

ONeill

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2022, 11:42:27 PM
Cut to 1978.

Yeah, remember it well. Kerry were the saviours of Gaelic football as Spillane put it!

thewobbler

Gaelic football at county level is as healthy (and watchable) as it has been in 8-9 years. Nothing do with the calendar and all to do with McGuinness's legacy waning and Dublin no longer being indestructible. The calendar does help in another way. This year we didn't have to wade through three months of shadow boxing and non events for the big clashes to happen. I'm a fan.

ONeill

Point is, county football has highs and lows. Super-champs or competitive provinces. High attendances and low figures.

Tyrone-Armagh in the McKenna next year might pull in 8000. 3 years ago 2000. 20 years ago 20'000. 40 years ago 1000.

Eire90

Quote from: thewobbler on August 11, 2022, 12:03:03 AM
Gaelic football at county level is as healthy (and watchable) as it has been in 8-9 years. Nothing do with the calendar and all to do with McGuinness's legacy waning and Dublin no longer being indestructible. The calendar does help in another way. This year we didn't have to wade through three months of shadow boxing and non events for the big clashes to happen. I'm a fan.

i wonder if next seasons format will make a difference too that.

Louther

Yes, the knockout element was very enjoyable this year once the provincials finished up. Next year we could see a return to the super 8 staleness that set in very quick in that format I felt. We may see more games but less on the line and less enjoyment.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Louther on August 11, 2022, 11:43:35 AM

Yes, the knockout element was very enjoyable this year once the provincials finished up. Next year we could see a return to the super 8 staleness that set in very quick in that format I felt. We may see more games but less on the line and less enjoyment.

So I forgot what is it that the super 8's give us? More opportunities for the big teams to get to the finals? or was it just for generating more income? The latter will go down well during this next cost of living crisis

For me it just made the season last longer to get to the same point, less upsets too, Dublin haven't won in 2 years because that cycle has changed? no need to split them in two either  :D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eire90

Rossfan

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40939019.html

Meanwhile Indo is going on about last 50 All Irelands and listing the top 50 footballers of 2022 ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM