Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
60 (38.7%)
Failure
62 (40%)
Too early to say
33 (21.3%)

Total Members Voted: 155

Eire90

When do Rte/tg4 start showing club championship games

Eire90

i like seeing game under the lights on a cold  feburary saturday night  gaa is not just a summer sport.

Blowitupref

FORMER MAYO FOOTBALLER Alan Dillon has called on the GAA to push the inter-county season back out to August or September.

“I’m all in favour of GAA clubs and club players having certainty with dates and when they are playing. This is absolutely needed as club players, coaches, volunteers and supporters are the lifeblood of the GAA. Without them, inter-county teams will not achieve any success,” he said. 

“However, it is too early in the year for the senior football and hurling championships to be finished.”

This year’s deciders took place on 17 July (hurling) and 24 July (football). As a result, there has been some criticism of the marquee games in the GAA calendar being brought forward to such early dates.

“We will not have any more action until next January at the earliest – more than five months away. In the meantime, other sports get the attention and coverage the GAA would normally have achieved throughout August and September,” deputy Dillon said.

“Consequently, GAA overall loses out. With all due respect to the club championships, and I value my own as much as anyone else, they will not gain the same attention as the intercounty championships.

“The race for Sam Maguire and Liam McCarthy this year were brilliant, along with the inaugural Tailteann Cup. They kept us enthralled and excited for the last few months. So why lock away your best shows for almost half a year? It simply doesn’t make sense.

“Anyone involved in marketing will say the same. Come the start of 2023, the demand for intercounty games will be immense. It is too long a break from now until then. I would urge GAA officials, club and county board delegates to rethink the issue for future years.

“I know this year’s Congress, held in Mayo in February, agreed a new senior football competition starting next year.

“Great, let’s trial that and see how it goes but we have to re-think the finishing dates of our showpiece competitions. Finishing in July is far too early.”
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

yellowcard

I read that interview as GAA media seeking out ex player who supports their own stance. Expect more of this sort of stuff in the weeks ahead as it gives the media something to fill column inches.

Canvas the grass roots GAA membership involved at club level on this however and I would guess that the feeling is the opposite. The armchair sports viewer may have a different opinion.

The county part of the season has been a success imo but wait until the full season runs its course before judging it fully.   

J70

"We will not have any more action until next January at the earliest – more than five months away. In the meantime, other sports get the attention and coverage the GAA would normally have achieved throughout August and September," deputy Dillon said.

So we go back to f**king the club players over so the senior intercounty game gets another 6 weeks of coverage?

I don't get this.

I'm tuning into the Premier League in a couple of weeks whether or not the senior championship is still on. They're not mutually exclusive interests, with only one or the other able to attract my attention.

The NFL is the biggest sport in the US and has a less than five month season, start to finish, and several other very high profile US sports to compete against.

The GAA has made the move to a compressed season. Stick with it. Its better for everyone.

marty34

Quote from: yellowcard on July 26, 2022, 05:17:27 PM
I read that interview as GAA media seeking out ex player who supports their own stance. Expect more of this sort of stuff in the weeks ahead as it gives the media something to fill column inches.

Canvas the grass roots GAA membership involved at club level on this however and I would guess that the feeling is the opposite. The armchair sports viewer may have a different opinion.

The county part of the season has been a success imo but wait until the full season runs its course before judging it fully.

I agree Yellowcard.

2% tail swinging 98% of the dog.

Wait to December to comment.

Franko

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 26, 2022, 05:04:50 PM

FORMER MAYO FOOTBALLER Alan Dillon has called on the GAA to push the inter-county season back out to August or September.

"I'm all in favour of GAA clubs and club players having certainty with dates and when they are playing. This is absolutely needed as club players, coaches, volunteers and supporters are the lifeblood of the GAA. Without them, inter-county teams will not achieve any success," he said. 

"However, it is too early in the year for the senior football and hurling championships to be finished."

This year's deciders took place on 17 July (hurling) and 24 July (football). As a result, there has been some criticism of the marquee games in the GAA calendar being brought forward to such early dates.

"We will not have any more action until next January at the earliest – more than five months away. In the meantime, other sports get the attention and coverage the GAA would normally have achieved throughout August and September," deputy Dillon said.

"Consequently, GAA overall loses out. With all due respect to the club championships, and I value my own as much as anyone else, they will not gain the same attention as the intercounty championships.

"The race for Sam Maguire and Liam McCarthy this year were brilliant, along with the inaugural Tailteann Cup. They kept us enthralled and excited for the last few months. So why lock away your best shows for almost half a year? It simply doesn't make sense.

"Anyone involved in marketing will say the same. Come the start of 2023, the demand for intercounty games will be immense. It is too long a break from now until then. I would urge GAA officials, club and county board delegates to rethink the issue for future years.

"I know this year's Congress, held in Mayo in February, agreed a new senior football competition starting next year.

"Great, let's trial that and see how it goes but we have to re-think the finishing dates of our showpiece competitions. Finishing in July is far too early."

He says the bit in bold...

Then proceeds to shite all over it with a few if's, buts and maybes, backed up by nothing but his own opinion

Now he's as entitled to his opinion as the next man

But we are also entitled to think it's rubbish

Gael80

Quote from: yellowcard on July 26, 2022, 05:17:27 PM

I agree, but there is still room to slightly tweak the inter county season schedule by three weeks or start the national leagues earlier, so they have time for the perfect system.

Allow two weeks between hurling and football finals, and one replay from the AL QF stage. When it's all reviewed I think this is what'll happen.

Milltown Row2

Inter county players are back with their clubs, finishing off league games and preparing for championship with their life long friends and family, what's not to like about that?

Season done county boards aren't spending fortunes on SC mind gurus dietitian's travel expenses coach hire and every other expense under the sun, another good reason

Club games getting National attention, non county players getting to play on tv, being talked about and maybe putting themselves in the shop window for their county selection, can complain about that

Club attendances possibly increasing..

Lads able to get a week's holiday away to shake off the season rather than waiting till October

There are many more benefits, the only one that seems to be bad is for the broadcasters
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gael80

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 26, 2022, 05:49:41 PM
Inter county players are back with their clubs, finishing off league games and preparing for championship with their life long friends and family, what's not to like about that?

Season done county boards aren't spending fortunes on SC mind gurus dietitian's travel expenses coach hire and every other expense under the sun, another good reason

Club games getting National attention, non county players getting to play on tv, being talked about and maybe putting themselves in the shop window for their county selection, can complain about that

Lads able to get a week's holiday away to shake off the season rather than waiting till October

There are many more benefits, the only one that seems to be bad is for the broadcasters

Some good points, but the reality is a very large percentage of inter county players are not back with their clubs, preparing for club championships or finishing off league programmes.

Great opportunity for them, and US GAA has never had it so good, two benefits of the system, but on the back of how many went to the US, there is some room for the GAA to slightly tweak the intercounty schedule.

shark

Quote from: Gael80 on July 26, 2022, 05:55:31 PM

Some good points, but the reality is a very large percentage of inter county players are not back with their clubs, preparing for club championships or finishing off league programmes.

Great opportunity for them, and US GAA has never had it so good, two benefits of the system, but on the back of how many went to the US, there is some room for the GAA to slightly tweak the intercounty schedule.

Define "very large percentage"?

There are roughly 60 intercounty players from my county. I'm not aware of any of them having gone to the US. They all seemed to be playing club championship the past two weekend.

Alan Dillon is a politician optimising for reelection. That's all politicians do. He has zero credibility when it comes to GAA matters for as long as he is a politican.

Captain Scarlet

Why doesn't Alan Dillon chat Lee Keegan or any of the lads he used to play with.
Like lads will never be happy but armchair fans should never dictate how the thing is run.

I would like two weeks between the Finals mind.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Rossfan

Milltown's point about possible increase in attendances at  Club games is a good one.
Back in the day you had 2 big TV games in August/September and then Club Championship games a 6 or so on a Sunday evening.
People were "Gahd" out or had exhausted spouses patience and wouldn't be going off to a game.
Dairy farmers would be busy in the evening too.
Now we'll have games hopefully on Sunday afternoons and no TV games in the way so should see better turn outs.
As few  Counties are starting Championships before 1st weekend in  August there's a bit of scope for extending County scene to weekend 30 of the year in 23.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

Quote from: Gael80 on July 26, 2022, 05:55:31 PM

I was talking to someone from Kerry in Croke Park on Sunday and they were saying that the county leagues in Kerry are already finished - the final between Crokes and Dingle was on the previous Friday night. Club championship is starting in Kerry this weekend. If the All-Ireland winners can do that, other counties have no excuse at all.

Also they were saying that the change in the calendar gives the winning All-Ireland teams a lot longer to enjoy their win.

One thing with the previous September timetable is that it didn't give a lot of time for teams to enjoy the win - everything I've heard from players who won an All-Ireland was that the celebrations always felt rushed and fairly hectic because the league was only a few months away and intercounty training almost started up straight away, never mind club action. You had teams arriving off the plane from team holidays going straight back into action in pre-season games. The new split season should allow for a more relaxed celebration for the winners.