Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
60 (38.5%)
Failure
63 (40.4%)
Too early to say
33 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Eire90

i think  all ireland finals should be played on saturdays

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eire90 on July 22, 2022, 04:28:49 PM
i think  all ireland finals should be played on saturdays

Less people work Sundays I'd assume you'd have more people able to watch it, could be wrong though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/gaeilge/2022/0720/1311267-ce-a-dheanfaidh-an-beart-de-domhnaigh/
Is deacair a chreidiúint go bhfuil cluiche ceannais peile na hÉireann buailte linn agus seachtain fágtha i mí Iúil. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on July 22, 2022, 10:10:00 AM
Armagh's County team's Championship ended 25th June.
Their Club Championships not starting till end of August!!!

Mayo's not starting till first weekend in September.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

onefineday

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 22, 2022, 10:01:48 AM
But the way people actually get into the GAA is mostly down to the local club putting in the work, not from seeing it on TV. Lads at local level going to encourage kids at school and that brings in the parents too.

The Players should be listened to as they are the ones flat out training. Now they have game after game like most sports and they seem to enjoy it.
There's definitely a huge difference between urban and rural clubs. Rural clubs, the gaa tends to be the community and the split season will be work well for them, there'll be no drop off in interest, local kids will be engaged with what's happening, championship runs etc.

In my experience that's not the case with urban clubs. For 90% of kids and parents there, the gaa (barring their own team or matches) is now finished until next April/may. There's little to no awareness of what's going on at senior club level and for kids it's back to throwing themselves into the premier league, the rugby or whatever everyone is talking about and they can see on TV or YouTube.
Given most of the population are now urban, we're just making ourselves niche.
There is no easy fix, but this condensed championship is not a good solution in terms of games promotion, and it remains if it'll really improve the lot of the club player.

shark

Quote from: onefineday on July 24, 2022, 08:41:05 AM
But the way people actually get into the GAA is mostly down to the local club putting in the work, not from seeing it on TV. Lads at local level going to encourage kids at school and that brings in the parents too.

The Players should be listened to as they are the ones flat out training. Now they have game after game like most sports and they seem to enjoy it.
There's definitely a huge difference between urban and rural clubs. Rural clubs, the gaa tends to be the community and the split season will be work well for them, there'll be no drop off in interest, local kids will be engaged with what's happening, championship runs etc.

In my experience that's not the case with urban clubs. For 90% of kids and parents there, the gaa (barring their own team or matches) is now finished until next April/may. There's little to no awareness of what's going on at senior club level and for kids it's back to throwing themselves into the premier league, the rugby or whatever everyone is talking about and they can see on TV or YouTube.
There is no easy fix, but this condensed championship is not a good solution in terms of games promotion, and it remains if it'll really improve the lot of the club player.

Ask any club player. If you actually know any. It has improved immensely.
I'm from an urban club. Would love to know where your 90% figure comes from. I guess you made it up? Not my experience.

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 24, 2022, 07:58:46 AM

Is it true that ye're adult Club Leagues only started in June???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on July 24, 2022, 11:06:40 AM

Yes.

onefineday

Quote from: shark on July 24, 2022, 09:26:03 AM

I'm from an urban club. Would love to know where your 90% figure comes from. I guess you made it up? Not my experience.
Of course I made the 90% figure up, it's hardly something I'm going to gather evidence on. But here's some hard facts. My adopted urban club has approx 1700 paying members, of that less than 100 are adult non-playing members and at our AGM, we typically have less than 50 attendees. My understanding is that numbers like that would not be unusual for Dublin mid size clubs.
I'll leave it there, sure I'll pick it back up when I next sign in next April.

thewobbler

Quote from: onefineday on July 24, 2022, 05:35:11 PM

Of course I made the 90% figure up, it's hardly something I'm going to gather evidence on. But here's some hard facts. My adopted urban club has approx 1700 paying members, of that less than 100 are adult non-playing members and at our AGM, we typically have less than 50 attendees. My understanding is that numbers like that would not be unusual for Dublin mid size clubs.

So as well as not bothering with club football, you wouldnt bother with National League either?

At this point I don't actually believe you're interested in Gaelic Games. Maybe it's days out at Croke you enjoy. The actual entertainment on show doesn't matter.

onefineday

Quote from: thewobbler on July 24, 2022, 05:39:47 PM

[/quote]

So as well as not bothering with club football, you wouldnt bother with National League either?

At this point I don't actually believe you're interested in Gaelic Games. Maybe it's days out at Croke you enjoy. The actual entertainment on show doesn't matter.
[/quote]
Have you seen the weather in Ireland in February??  Who in their right mind would try and play or even worse, spectate at an event there??
I'll be honest Wobbler, I love the NFL, can't wait for Week 1 in September - might finally be the year that the Bills deliver for the hard pressed people of Buffalo - the Mayo of the NFL if you will!!

I suppose the only thing mitigating against my being a total event junkie is that I sometimes notice that the atmosphere has died a death, that's when I noticed these long passages of 'keep ball' or lateral play as they've become known - they bore me a bit, is there nothing we can do to get rid of them?  There was quite a bit of it today too.  Particularly noteworthy was a pass by Paudie Clifford from inside the Galway 14 back out to midfield, not that it was a terrible ball, but just that it highlights a particular problem brought about by teams employing all 15 players inside their own 45.

Franko

Quote from: onefineday on July 24, 2022, 05:35:11 PM

I don't see how altering the season helps this?

From your 'hard facts' 1600 out of 1700 of your paying members are players

They are the ones who will gain the most from these structures

But you could play an All Ireland Final twice a month and it wouldn't make people come to the AGM

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 24, 2022, 05:18:46 PM

Yes.

So most of ye're Club only players have a 4 month playing season?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2022, 09:15:20 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 24, 2022, 05:18:46 PM

Yes.

So most of ye're Club only players have a 4 month playing season?

Other divisional competitions and the Michael Walsh (third tier competition) were played in the Spring. August will be the league playoffs.

SCFC

I think it's been a great success. Looking forward to a decent club championship played in hopefully mostly good weather.