Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
60 (38.7%)
Failure
62 (40%)
Too early to say
33 (21.3%)

Total Members Voted: 155

Loughshore2022

It is not so good for casual fan who doesn't care about club GAA so basically the next time I will watch sport will be January. Maybe I should start watching American football, I am not sure I could stomach the wokeness of that now.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Rossfan on July 04, 2022, 03:55:14 PM
Isn't it that you can't get a transfer until your County exits the Championship (incl TC)?

Correct, only players from those counties that are already out are over in the US

Armagh18

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on July 04, 2022, 04:14:23 PM
It is not so good for casual fan who doesn't care about club GAA so basically the next time I will watch sport will be January. Maybe I should start watching American football, I am not sure I could stomach the wokeness of that now.
Maybe get interested in the club scene. Does be some cracking games and tg4 cover a lot of them.

TheMistro

The early championship has been damp squid.  A lot of people on holidays in June July. Pros it benefits the ordinary club player who have brushed aside the last 20 year.

shark

Quote from: TheMistro on July 07, 2022, 01:56:18 PM
The early championship has been damp squid.  A lot of people on holidays in June July. Pros it benefits the ordinary club player who have brushed aside the last 20 year.

And that benefit is what really matters , as every player is a club player. People can go on holidays whenever they want , it's not relevant. And certainly not sure how seafood is relevant ;)

Rossfan

For a change Club Leagues were run and completed in a defined timeframe before Championships start.
The 5 Ros adult League Finals were last weekend (1 conceded ...)
Previously the last 3 or 4 Rounds and Finals were regularly held over till after Championships and would have seen Finals played in December or God knows when.
Also Counties with teams reaching AI Finals will be able to start Club Championships the same time as every other County. Before they were rushing things through to get done before Provincials started leading to things like playing a Semi Final on a Monday night, Final on a Friday and Provincial on a Sunday.
It does mean a more condensed County season with less time between games for blather in the media and build up etc. but improves the games to training ratio.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Scarlet

Players want games and they are coming thick and fast this year. The club scene is already really up and running and we even say the lesser-spotted county man line out for some league games.

It's just a case of a new cycle for everyone to get used to, but look at the craic in Westmeath after the Tailteann Cup. The players are in favour of these changes and there is no point in going against the majority over the screen time merchants and the pundits who are not arsed doing any homework on club action anyway.

RTÉ and TG4 will both be at it for the club scene in decent weather in a few months too.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

sam03/05

lenny

Quote from: sam03/05 on July 17, 2022, 09:47:39 PM
August will be rubbish

Only from a tv point of view. Lots of club games of real quality to look forward to.

Turf

Was definitely strange having the All Ireland Final yesterday in July. Has it been a success or not I suppose in the grander scheme of things it doesn't really matter does it? We have an All Ireland winner anyways so does it matter if it's July or September.

naka

there were a fair few spaces about croker yesterday and definitely any amount of tickets to be bought outside,
not sure if its because the final is being played at the height of summer or just teh cost of a day out.
be interesting to see what happens next weekend.
for me i definitely think its too congested and hasnt really been a success 

marty34

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 17, 2022, 01:11:33 PM
Players want games and they are coming thick and fast this year. The club scene is already really up and running and we even say the lesser-spotted county man line out for some league games.

It's just a case of a new cycle for everyone to get used to, but look at the craic in Westmeath after the Tailteann Cup. The players are in favour of these changes and there is no point in going against the majority over the screen time merchants and the pundits who are not arsed doing any homework on club action anyway.

RTÉ and TG4 will both be at it for the club scene in decent weather in a few months too.

Are RTE covering club games again this year?

Any games pencilled in yet?

onefineday

Quote from: lenny on July 17, 2022, 09:56:51 PM
August will be rubbish

Only from a tv point of view. Lots of club games of real quality to look forward to.
GAA becoming niche for about half the population. There'll be little awareness of it again until next May, then it'll get a 2 month window in the sun when there's so many games people can't keep track of them anyway. Not a way to build a lifelong passion in our games imo and suspect it will be revisited once the financial implications become clear too.

johnnycool

Quote from: onefineday on July 18, 2022, 01:40:07 PM
Quote from: lenny on July 17, 2022, 09:56:51 PM
August will be rubbish

GAA becoming niche for about half the population. There'll be little awareness of it again until next May, then it'll get a 2 month window in the sun when there's so many games people can't keep track of them anyway. Not a way to build a lifelong passion in our games imo and suspect it will be revisited once the financial implications become clear too.

Not sure how you can quantify the financial impact in a meaningful way considering the cost of living has sky rocketed and if anything the GAA hasn't help by the pricing of tickets for the semi-finals (€55) and the finals ($80) probably put quite a few off.

The other side of this is that County Boards aren't having to spend so much on team managements, traveling expenses, backroom teams with the condensed season, but I can see a few tweaks coming with maybe the two finals pushed out to the end of July/early August based on club championships not starting till the latter part of August driven by player availability, i.e. holidays and J1 visas.

mad tan

The Div 1 League Final was played last weekend. When I saw the result on the local paper I had to phone a friend to ask was it this years or last years final. It was great to get the leagues played but it seems teams played Saturday and Wednesday evenings so it was rushed. OK now the Championship starts five or six group  games. If a teams fails to make the knockout stage there season will be over second week of September. Is that what Clubs want.