Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
59 (38.6%)
Failure
61 (39.9%)
Too early to say
33 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 153

Hound

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 23, 2022, 01:18:27 PM
The HURLING MEN who suddenly care about Westmeath hurlers...They are talking about Westmeath hurlers on an RTÉ show that has never in my memory put them on telly live.

GPA original Donal Og is now on board for a games promotion argument in spite of the fact that players at all levels are keen on a split season.

Can anyone confirm when the Dub hurling championship is starting as I see lads on Twitter contradicting the Sept statement?

Now games promotion is the big worry even though most GAA players can't talk to media during the season bar crappy press nights. Like we lose so many youngsters every year to simply giving up and we are worried about the Premier League and Munster Rugby?!

Let's be honest the fun is only starting now!

Dublin Senior Hurling Championship starts on July 20

Dublin Senior Football Championship starts on August 6

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Hound on May 24, 2022, 08:00:32 AM
The HURLING MEN who suddenly care about Westmeath hurlers...They are talking about Westmeath hurlers on an RTÉ show that has never in my memory put them on telly live.

GPA original Donal Og is now on board for a games promotion argument in spite of the fact that players at all levels are keen on a split season.

Can anyone confirm when the Dub hurling championship is starting as I see lads on Twitter contradicting the Sept statement?

Now games promotion is the big worry even though most GAA players can't talk to media during the season bar crappy press nights. Like we lose so many youngsters every year to simply giving up and we are worried about the Premier League and Munster Rugby?!

How many Dublin county footballers play hurling for their clubs? Would the clubs be up in arms should the Dublin team reach the All-Ireland final?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

johnnycool

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 25, 2022, 10:59:54 AM

How many Dublin county footballers play hurling for their clubs? Would the clubs be up in arms should the Dublin team reach the All-Ireland final?

Cuala certainly would.

Des Cahill would turn grey if they couldn't play games without Con.

shark

Quote from: johnnycool on May 26, 2022, 02:18:52 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 25, 2022, 10:59:54 AM

Cuala certainly would.

Des Cahill would turn grey if they couldn't play games without Con.

They played the county u21 football final without him a few years ago , as it clashed with Cuala's run in the Leinster hurling. Think they lost by a point. In any other county it would have been postposed 6 months - or longer.

Captain Scarlet

I see on twitter than Galway Hurlers are not having a press night and Kerry Footballers didn't speak at theirs...what about the shop window for the childer to see find out more and see their heroes???!!!!

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

tiempo

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 27, 2022, 12:35:14 PM
I see on twitter than Galway Hurlers are not having a press night and Kerry Footballers didn't speak at theirs...what about the shop window for the childer to see find out more and see their heroes???!!!!

All all the better we are for it, if this is anything GPA related they need brought down a peg or 2 for their ongoing con

Blowitupref

One of the issues with a congested season is games will clash and underage matches like this weekends All Ireland minor quarter finals loses the lime light that those groups of young players deserve.

Saturday

All-Ireland SFC Qualifiers round 2
Kildare v Mayo, Croke Park, 6pm
Roscommon v Clare, Croke Park 3:45pm

All-Ireland MFC quarter-fiinals
Cork v Derry, Portlaoise, 6pm
Tyrone v Kerry, Portlaoise, 4pm

Sunday

All-Ireland SFC Qualifiers round 2
Armagh v Donegal, Clones, 4pm
Cork v Limerick, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, 1.30pm

All-Ireland MFC quarter-finals
Mayo v Kildare, Tullamore, 2.30pm
Dublin v Galway, Tullamore, 12.30pm

Of course those at the top could have scheduled things better and had a few triple headers perhaps?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

thewobbler

I'm currently laughing out loud at those who reckoned the value of the championship was related to its late summer position.

Franko

Some nonsense talked here

This new season has been a dream for most

Also, can we not screen the club finals from around the country in August/Sept?

TG4's screening of club games is one of the best things to happen in the GAA in a generation

onefineday

Now is not the time to make the judgement, we're all enthralled by the amount of top level action going on week after week - the youngsters out my way are all out on the green with their hurls and footballs and pretty engaged in what's going on in the Championship.  But, to my mind it's a bit like Wimbledon, you know the week where we all got our tennis rackets out (little wooden things with thick plastic strings - usually a crack in the wood too) and tried to play tennis again.

The time to really assess the damage this is doing is in the break from the end of July right through to the start of April next year, when action really seeps into the consciousness of most people.
You can talk all you like about how club games will replace the void, but for the large majority, they simply won't.  In rural Ireland where the club is the heart of the community, yes club championships will do the job, but, most people live in urban areas and I don't know of any large urban area where clubs have anywhere near the same level of mass community buy-in as in rural areas.
In Dublin, there's almost no awareness of what is going on at club level, numbers playing underage (at least to u12) are massive, but few parents or kids know anything of what's happening at senior level.  Club championship games here attract low hundreds, if well marketed.  Like clubs everywhere there's always a core of people who are totally involved, and pretty much do everything, but they represent a tiny fraction of the local population. 
For most people here in Dublin and I guess the other larger urban areas, GAA will be gone from the start of August until the end of April.  For kids, they'll keep on attending training and matches, but other sports will be hold their interest and be their passion.

I think the extension into August for both championships would provide a little bit extra, not saying it would solve the issue, there's definitely loads the GAA could do in terms of upping the appeal and interest in their games (laugh if you like, but fantasy games and official short highlights packages from every game would be great for kids who tend to be obsessed with such things), but having that slightly longer window would at least leave games in the shop window a little longer and allow for less concentration of games on particular weekends, such as we had throughout May and June.

Redhand Santa

The split season was sold on the basis that club championships would take precedent during the summer when clubs would have access to all of their players. But even in the first year this seems to be far from the case. A lot of counties aren't starting their championship to September. And another problem is a huge volume of players including numerous top level county players are heading to America for the Summer to play and won't be available anyway. This dilutes the club action to a certain extent.

Also given the cost of attending county games it can be costly going straight from league into championship. Personally I think based on the new system next year they should run the provincial championships and league of by the end of April. Then sort out the county fixtures for the rest of the championship when all teams known and allow teams/fans time to plan. Allow players back to play club games for a 5/6 week period. Then play inter county from mid June and have it wrapped up by the end of August. Will ensure less clashes of big games with other sports too.

No system is perfect but the idea of the split season isn't working out as planned at all.

Rossfan

That 5 ir 6 week period will likely see County managers running maniac training sessions or weekends away meaning Co players won't get a chance to play club anyway.
By the way did I hear that Mayowestros only started their adult Leagues 1st June?!
I'd say the local soccer clubs in Mayo were delighted!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armagh18

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 30, 2022, 10:44:24 AM
The split season was sold on the basis that club championships would take precedent during the summer when clubs would have access to all of their players. But even in the first year this seems to be far from the case. A lot of counties aren't starting their championship to September. And another problem is a huge volume of players including numerous top level county players are heading to America for the Summer to play and won't be available anyway. This dilutes the club action to a certain extent.

Also given the cost of attending county games it can be costly going straight from league into championship. Personally I think based on the new system next year they should run the provincial championships and league of by the end of April. Then sort out the county fixtures for the rest of the championship when all teams known and allow teams/fans time to plan. Allow players back to play club games for a 5/6 week period. Then play inter county from mid June and have it wrapped up by the end of August. Will ensure less clashes of big games with other sports too.

No system is perfect but the idea of the split season isn't working out as planned at all.
I know in Armagh the championship is starting late August but the leagues are going right up to then with maybe a two week break pre championship. Can't really blame lads for going to America and best of luck to all that do it, any Armagh lads going will be back for club championship as far as I know. Think this system is fairly decent although given recent events time needs to be set aside for replays! ;)

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 30, 2022, 11:48:28 AM

I know in Armagh the championship is starting late August but the leagues are going right up to then with maybe a two week break pre championship. Can't really blame lads for going to America and best of luck to all that do it, any Armagh lads going will be back for club championship as far as I know. Think this system is fairly decent although given recent events time needs to be set aside for replays! ;)

I'm not criticising lads for going to America. I just don't know how much sense it makes to stop playing county football during the summer. The reason was to allow for top quality club action from mid July to the end of August. In reality there will be very little club championship football played and the league games will be played of without a host of players who are away for the summer.

Armagh18

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 30, 2022, 11:52:42 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 30, 2022, 11:48:28 AM

I'm not criticising lads for going to America. I just don't know how much sense it makes to stop playing county football during the summer. The reason was to allow for top quality club action from mid July to the end of August. In reality there will be very little club championship football played and the league games will be played of without a host of players who are away for the summer.
Not sure about other counties but in Armagh we tend to finish up the leagues before the championship starts. Maybe a system that all league games are finished up by the time the all ireland comes around then club championship starts the following week (bar the 2 finalists). Completely agree with what you're saying.