International Tournaments and team bonding trips - Europe/USA

Started by GGEEdub, April 09, 2024, 11:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GGEEdub

What do people think about international trips for GAA teams?

GAA in Europe has shot up over the last 5 years, there are over 100 clubs all over Europe now. There seems to be huge potential in team bonding trips overseas, as you'd see in soccer, rugby, hockey etc... I'm not talking about County teams going away for warm-weather training camps now, I'm talking about trips for casual football, Hurling/Camogie tournaments. I see lots of G4MO teams going on trips to France and Spain lately.

(I'm a member of a European GAA club FYI)

Would such a trip be a good idea or does this have no place in the GAA?
If you're a player/coach/parent would you support a trip?

full moon

I'm sure theres a place for it with some, but the money issue at club level would be the thing. Despite the media hype a lot of people now are really struggling with the inflation, cost of living and housing.

A lot of paltry crowds in pubs and GAA stadiums these days, and despair out there. In relation to the question, I think it would be could for both sides but do you think it more applies to youth teams or adult ones?

GGEEdub

These trips work best for adult teams because there aren't many youth teams around on the continent. We're starting to see lots of teams travel to Europe for the stags/hen trips, so they'd likely be planning a trip abroad anyway.

The cost is a big thing to think about, but that's also what makes this a great opportunity. The local clubs in any European city will know where to find the best deals because they've set up there. So the typical Irish tourist bartering carry-on for the best price for a group dinner would already be done. The hosting European club would Ideally, make it far cheaper for them, then if they were to go about organising a trip themselves.

Of course, this would not help with the really expensive components, like flights and accommodation.

The paltry crowds as you mention are indeed quite disheartening, maybe the GAA needs an injection of something new, an international outlet might give members something new to look forward to once or twice a year.

joemamas

Quote from: GGEEdub on April 09, 2024, 11:41:57 AMWhat do people think about international trips for GAA teams?

GAA in Europe has shot up over the last 5 years, there are over 100 clubs all over Europe now. There seems to be huge potential in team bonding trips overseas, as you'd see in soccer, rugby, hockey etc... I'm not talking about County teams going away for warm-weather training camps now, I'm talking about trips for casual football, Hurling/Camogie tournaments. I see lots of G4MO teams going on trips to France and Spain lately.

(I'm a member of a European GAA club FYI)

Would such a trip be a good idea or does this have no place in the GAA?
If you're a player/coach/parent would you support a trip?

where do Kerry go  ;D  ;D  ;D