Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 08, 2022, 03:00:05 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 08, 2022, 02:28:50 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 06, 2022, 07:07:40 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 06, 2022, 02:44:16 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 06, 2022, 12:06:33 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 06, 2022, 09:36:42 AM
Quote from: ardtole on August 06, 2022, 09:19:30 AM
Quote from: sam03/05 on August 06, 2022, 08:48:51 AM
The GAA should give this club millions, purchase them a ground and let them grow

Why??
Surely their neighbours Bredagh would be equally as deserving of financial backing to secure their own club grounds. East Belfast are no more inclusive than any other gaa club.

For the same reason they backwd the likes of Cuala. Big untapped catchment area and important symbolism

Naw can't agree. We have the biggest untapped area for hurling in Ireland and they won't give us a penny. They should not be getting any preferential treatment over lads who have ploughed lonely furrows for 30-40 years.

Is that not an advantage in a way?

A big city with only one hurling club.

Should be flying it.

Only an advantage of you can get a full-time coach into schools. That was our proposal. Tumble weed from Ulster Council

What's Hinphey doing?

He's out in county, good lad though
???

As in rural county Derry?

No one with a remit in the city GDO wise or whatever they call themselves?

Yeah outside city. Nobody employed to look at city. Massive potential

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 08, 2022, 05:16:58 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 08, 2022, 04:50:48 PM
The GAA should give this club millions, purchase them a ground and let them grow

Why??
Surely their neighbours Bredagh would be equally as deserving of financial backing to secure their own club grounds. East Belfast are no more inclusive than any other gaa club.

For the same reason they backwd the likes of Cuala. Big untapped catchment area and important symbolism

Naw can't agree. We have the biggest untapped area for hurling in Ireland and they won't give us a penny. They should not be getting any preferential treatment over lads who have ploughed lonely furrows for 30-40 years.

Should be flying it.

Only an advantage of you can get a full-time coach into schools. That was our proposal. Tumble weed from Ulster Council

What's Hinphey doing?

???

That is indeed astounding, city that size with no one working in it in terms of games development, I'm assuming hurling and football..

Ach sure it's a soccer city is probably the refrain, but sure look at Limerick, rugby city until Limerick CB got to work on that..

fearsiuil

How many GAA clubs in Derry city?

Limerick must have 6 or 7 clubs in the city not to mention the ones on the edge of it.

Wildweasel74

Doire Trasna, Steelstown, Dolans, Doire Colmcille. Na Magha(Hurling) Ardmore about 3/4 Miles out. They need look at club boundaries for the city, alot go to Steelstown who not necessarily from that area.

Wildweasel74

Only way Derry City would progress is 10 coaches to cover all Primary and secondary schools. Drop off got to be nearly 80% of children from school age group to senior. Deprived City, so many move away,

Silver hill

Would need a real funding push to take on and change the soccer culture of Derry city. Not saying it can't be done but a lot of things would need to change/improve.
Firstly, the facilities provided by the council are abysmal and that is primarily down to the council members who are all soccer orientated. Very few Gaelic pitches available.
Primary school football needs to be better organised with regular competition and GPOs available to co-ordinate and promote. In several of the larger primary schools, there is still a shortage of teachers who have a gaa background and the desire to see our games thrive.
Celtic Park should be more available and it could be a real hub for primary and secondary games. It's really underutilized at present. GPOs would also be needed to improve the primary school /club link as I'm told that 80% of children at present do not have a formal link.
Finally, a divisional select from all the junior and intermediate clubs to play in the Derry senior championship would also be worthwhile and give those players an incentive to play at the highest level.
There are some great Gaels in the city and Derry's run in all Ireland recently will have increased the profile of the Gaa up there. St Columbs is also another sleeping giant and an untapped resource with 1200+ boys.
In summary, funding - a structured plan - right people on the ground.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Silver hill on August 11, 2022, 08:51:40 AM
Would need a real funding push to take on and change the soccer culture of Derry city. Not saying it can't be done but a lot of things would need to change/improve.
Firstly, the facilities provided by the council are abysmal and that is primarily down to the council members who are all soccer orientated. Very few Gaelic pitches available.
Primary school football needs to be better organised with regular competition and GPOs available to co-ordinate and promote. In several of the larger primary schools, there is still a shortage of teachers who have a gaa background and the desire to see our games thrive.
Celtic Park should be more available and it could be a real hub for primary and secondary games. It's really underutilized at present. GPOs would also be needed to improve the primary school /club link as I'm told that 80% of children at present do not have a formal link.
Finally, a divisional select from all the junior and intermediate clubs to play in the Derry senior championship would also be worthwhile and give those players an incentive to play at the highest level.
There are some great Gaels in the city and Derry's run in all Ireland recently will have increased the profile of the Gaa up there. St Columbs is also another sleeping giant and an untapped resource with 2400+ boys and girls
In summary, funding - a structured plan - right people on the ground.

Fixed that  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 11, 2022, 09:09:43 AM
You might want to fix it back.

I meant in Derry lol, not the school
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tbrick18

Quote from: johnnycool on August 09, 2022, 01:38:29 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 08, 2022, 05:16:58 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 08, 2022, 04:50:48 PM

Why??

Should be flying it.

What's Hinphey doing?

???

That is indeed astounding, city that size with no one working in it in terms of games development, I'm assuming hurling and football..

Ach sure it's a soccer city is probably the refrain, but sure look at Limerick, rugby city until Limerick CB got to work on that..

Limerick got an awful lot of funding from JP McManus, not sure many other counties would have a donor as generous.
So it's not really a fair comparison between Limerick and Derry.

I do agree Derry City seems to be an untapped resource. I'm not overly familiar, but was there not a GDO in derry city previously? Neil Forrester maybe?
It needs to be a sustained effort too, no point having someone working in schools for a year. It needs to be an ongoing long term process with realistic expectations of what that can achieve.
In my experience though, to get kids interested and keep them involved, the single biggest factor is the parents. They need to be engaged with the clubs, or perhaps the clubs need to be engaged with them more closely. It takes a huge amount of sustained effort from a club in city areas to get people through the door and keep them coming back. Without parents who are willing to take their kids and get involved no amount of games development officers will improve things drastically.
In the past we ran free family fun days, for example, to get families through the door who'd never have entertained the thought of it previously. It needs to be made as easy as possible and as inviting as possible for as many people as possible for a club to thrive, imo.

I don't think it can be as simple as a CB putting a GDO in place, it needs clubs and families to drive it first and foremost. Of course, that is going on already in a lot of cases, but sometimes it comes across like some clubs/counties site back and complain because their County Board or Croke Park are not doing anything for them. It's not easy in cities though as there are so many other distractions (not just soccer).  Whereas lots of rural clubs only have the GAA. If you're not involved, there's nothing else, so you tend to get the whole community in the area being involved in some way.

tbrick18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 10, 2022, 10:48:48 PM
Only way Derry City would progress is 10 coaches to cover all Primary and secondary schools. Drop off got to be nearly 80% of children from school age group to senior. Deprived City, so many move away,

80% drop of kids between school age and senior might not be unique to Derry City. I'd guess in most clubs there's a huge drop off post school age. How many minors go on to make it at senior level? Generally if you get 4-5 new players filtering into a senior panel every year you are doing well. One of the major failings of the GAA imo. Social games need to become more prominent to provide for all.

The deprivation factor is a good point. Some kids simply cannot afford the gear/membership fees/travel expenses of getting to training or matches.
Perhaps innovative ideas here to make it easier to participate if you come from a deprived background. Funding for kit for example? Perhaps funding for a club minibus in a city area to pick up and drop off kids to training/matches?
All of this needs someone/or group of someone's within a club to organise and manage though.

marty34

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 11, 2022, 12:05:49 PM

80% drop of kids between school age and senior might not be unique to Derry City. I'd guess in most clubs there's a huge drop off post school age. How many minors go on to make it at senior level? Generally if you get 4-5 new players filtering into a senior panel every year you are doing well. One of the major failings of the GAA imo. Social games need to become more prominent to provide for all.

The deprivation factor is a good point. Some kids simply cannot afford the gear/membership fees/travel expenses of getting to training or matches.
Perhaps innovative ideas here to make it easier to participate if you come from a deprived background. Funding for kit for example? Perhaps funding for a club minibus in a city area to pick up and drop off kids to training/matches?
All of this needs someone/or group of someone's within a club to organise and manage though.

Pumping money into it isn't the way to do it.

A proper plan needs to be put together.

Why should Derry City get it above other rural clubs who have their house in order.  People think in rural clubs that the gaa is the only thing.  Not true nowadays - there's loads of of distractions amd the drop out is as high I'd say in rural areas, as it is in city areas.  Fact of life nowadays.

tbrick18

Quote from: marty34 on August 11, 2022, 01:30:56 PM

Why should Derry City get it above other rural clubs who have their house in order.  People think in rural clubs that the gaa is the only thing.  Not true nowadays - there's loads of of distractions amd the drop out is as high I'd say in rural areas, as it is in city areas.  Fact of life nowadays.

I never suggesting pumping money in was the way to do it, but certainly money will be required. It doesn't need to be millions though.
For example, let say a club was to run a fun day (bouncy castles, ice cream van...you know the craic) to entice people through the doors. 2-3K would go a long way and would raise the club profile and generate a positive perception of the club being there to provide facilities to potential new families and players.
A bus, total guess, maybe 50K? If club got funding for a bus, they could perhaps swell their ranks by running a pickup/dropoff service with the bus.
That's what I mean by innovative ideas.
By involving more people, with the club directly the kids automatically get more access to volunteer coaches as opposed to paid for (usually temporary) games development officers in schools. The ideal scenario is for all of this to be running together over a prolonged period of time. That's where the real issue is I think....its so difficult to maintain momentum as people come and go.

I'd have no issue with East Belfast GAA, or any other club, getting funding provided its funding that is open to all to apply for and it is dispersed in a fair way.

In my mind, the more clubs and people involved across the board the better.

Silver hill

imtommygunn

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 11, 2022, 02:45:50 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 11, 2022, 01:30:56 PM

I never suggesting pumping money in was the way to do it, but certainly money will be required. It doesn't need to be millions though.
For example, let say a club was to run a fun day (bouncy castles, ice cream van...you know the craic) to entice people through the doors. 2-3K would go a long way and would raise the club profile and generate a positive perception of the club being there to provide facilities to potential new families and players.
A bus, total guess, maybe 50K? If club got funding for a bus, they could perhaps swell their ranks by running a pickup/dropoff service with the bus.
That's what I mean by innovative ideas.
By involving more people, with the club directly the kids automatically get more access to volunteer coaches as opposed to paid for (usually temporary) games development officers in schools. The ideal scenario is for all of this to be running together over a prolonged period of time. That's where the real issue is I think....its so difficult to maintain momentum as people come and go.

I'd have no issue with East Belfast GAA, or any other club, getting funding provided its funding that is open to all to apply for and it is dispersed in a fair way.

In my mind, the more clubs and people involved across the board the better.

I think fair play to them for what they are doing. They do seem to get a disproportionate amount of media time and should be, in funding terms, on an even keel with any club. Tbh I sometimes wonder has that binlid Bryson ended up getting them good PR. (maybe he's a plant  ;D)

Like BC says there's a team over on the shore road(give or take). Why if it's cross community are they not as deserving?

None of that to have a go at them - we're all equals and all that. Plenty of clubs been hammered in non nationalist areas for years too.

Milltown Row2

Named after a prod too Tommy  ;D

should be quids in