Peppa Pig accused of sexism

Started by BennyCake, March 19, 2019, 05:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Dolph1

It's not a very progressive show.
They never mention that Daddy pig sometimes likes to dress up in Mummy pigs clothes.
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

Aaron Boone

Miss Rabbit blatently breaches the Working Time Act 1997.

J70

Quote from: BennyCake on March 19, 2019, 05:40:18 PM
Peppa has been accused of being a sexist, er... pig.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/47625991

Not sure how I feel about this.

Initial reaction is FFS, they've little to be worrying about!

But maybe they may have a point.

I've a four year old (almost 5) daughter who loves Peppa Pig, although she is starting to grow out of it the last month or two. Like most young girls, its all princesses and rainbows and ballerinas, with zero interest in dinosaurs or sharks or other such "boyish" things. My older son is the complete opposite albeit also very aware of things he is not "supposed" to like as a boy.

While there's plenty of time to teach them both that they can be anything they want to be, would it really cost the makers of Peppa Pig, or anyone else, anything to start encouraging that kind of thinking or at least NOT reinforce stereotypes?

weareros

Peppa Pig was one of the few children's cartoons I enjoyed when raising the kids. It always had some good laughs though most were at the expense of Daddy Pig. If anyone should be outraged it's fathers because it has surely raised a generation of young girls to think Daddys are not the brightest sparks.

snoopdog

Quote from: weareros on March 19, 2019, 08:14:28 PM
Peppa Pig was one of the few children's cartoons I enjoyed when raising the kids. It always had some good laughs though most were at the expense of Daddy Pig. If anyone should be outraged it's fathers because it has surely raised a generation of young girls to think Daddys are not the brightest sparks.
Totally agree poor aul daddy pig gets awful abuse. I don't see anything wrong with peppa apart that she can be veey bossy. All this PC madness is maddening.  I'm shocked that Tom and Jerry are still allowed with the violence.

whitey

Well Laura Ingalls Wilder have been banished by the PC brigade, so why not Peppe Pig?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/26/books/laura-ingalls-wilder-book-award.html

Farrandeelin

Quote from: weareros on March 19, 2019, 08:14:28 PM
I know of one man who won't let his daughters watch it because of this very reason.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Brick Tamlin

Peppa Pig one of the best shows on TV.

Daddy Pig does get a raw deal, heart definitely goes out to him. From trying to put up pictures on the wall to having to take Peppa to work with him to getting slagged off for not being sport enough. Plus they are never done fat-shaming the man and him the only one who works in that house.He has it rough. Peppa is a bit of a wee bitch and could do with a kick up the hole on occasion.

Mr Bull a total legend. Anything to be rootin and tearing about in his digger.
A Tree falls down...."Lets dig up the roooooooad!!"
A leaky tap...."Lets dig up the roooooooad!!"
The lights go out...."Lets dig up the roooooooad!!"
We're out of milk...."Lets dig up the roooooooad!!"

And Mr Fox and his fella....2 dodgier boyos you couldnt meet.

Pedro Pony is personal fave though...always wearing the wrong clothes and slow to catch on but hes definitely smarter than he lets on.

Sheugh Water

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on March 19, 2019, 11:30:59 PM

Daddy Pig does get a raw deal, heart definitely goes out to him. From trying to put up pictures on the wall to having to take Peppa to work with him to getting slagged off for not being sport enough. Plus they are never done fat-shaming the man and him the only one who works in that house.He has it rough. Peppa is a bit of a wee bitch and could do with a kick up the hole on occasion.

Pedro Pony is personal fave though...always wearing the wrong clothes and slow to catch on but hes definitely smarter than he lets on.

Class

David McKeown

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on March 19, 2019, 11:30:59 PM

You are spot on here. My daughter just starting to watch it now. So obviously I've had to check the content in advance. Pedro a definite favourite for me. Can't figure out Mummy Rabbit and Miss Rabbitt. Reckon they are pulling something
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Taylor

Its ridiculous to be fair. More examples of a world gone mad.

Like Sam Smith reckons he isnt anything.

How are you supposed to define as a man or woman now? Surely your genitalia is a factor?

Or maybe nowadays what you have doesnt mean anything

Dolph1

Quote from: Taylor on March 20, 2019, 09:47:08 AM

How are you supposed to define as a man or woman now? Surely your genitalia is a factor?

It's what you THINK you are now. Science doesn't matter. We have to pretend to not see it and just believe in lies.

Taylor

Quote from: Dolph1 on March 20, 2019, 11:02:32 AM

It's what you THINK you are now. Science doesn't matter. We have to pretend to not see it and just believe in lies.

So if I think I am a woman can I now line out for the Ladies County team?

Dolph1

Quote from: Taylor on March 20, 2019, 11:15:19 AM
Quote from: Dolph1 on March 20, 2019, 11:02:32 AM

So if I think I am a woman can I now line out for the Ladies County team?

Give it a go. Just threaten to sue the GAA  if they try stop you or call them transphobic and they'll back off.